Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

So you believe it's an Innocenti? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

Italians are crazy enough to do just that. 

The Inno changes made to it are from a few different years.  The doors are early (about the same year as the "foundation" Cooper-S) years, but the dash and switch stalks on the steering column are later year items from a Inno 1300 or 1300 Export (those were early 1970's models).

A likely scenario: A sufficiently wealthy Italian customer orders a 1275 Cooper-S through his local dealer (thus the Italy delivery).  The car arrives, the customer prefers the Inno doors with the forward opening handle and also need to be able to mount the square Italian license plate, the the doors and boot are swapped.  The car is driven for several years (maybe even changes owners at least once) and the "Cooper-S" moniker is mostly "forgotten" as they are still fairly common at the time.  The Inno 1300's come out with the "fancy" 6-gauge cluster and the current owner at that time goes "Wow, I want that in my 1300!" and has the gauge cluster installed (which happens to require a wiring change and so also gets the newer style stalks on the column).  Years continue to pass, the car changes hands some more, the pilot buys it and returns to the US with it.  More years pass and more "mods" get done to what is now thought of as just another Mini until it lands with the current owner today in a project state with enough information to have the scrambled history and identity when a BMIHT certificate is obtained.

The big thing to remember was that in the late 60's to mid 80's, these cars were still common all over Europe and treated as the "British VW Bug" in that they often got all kinds of mods by younger owners.  The push to preserve most Cooper and Cooper-S models due to "rarity" came later.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on December 22, 2017, 05:32:09 PM

I dunno what it is really, just a conglomeration of parts......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 22, 2017, 06:50:52 PM
Quote from: BruceK on December 22, 2017, 05:32:09 PM

I dunno what it is really, just a conglomeration of parts......

Yeah.  The only verifiable Cooper S items are:  The VIN plate  ::) , the bodyshell with glass minus the Italian boot lid and both doors.  And the RH tank. That's about it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, it sold for $6K.....seems like more than enough for a kit......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A rally Mini Cooper 998 is now on BaT.   Well, it was a rally car back in the day, then a track car with a 1275, now it's back to a rally car with a 998.  Definitely not a concours car - lots of modifications for rallying.  Looks to be well-worn.  Very strange about no photos from underneath the car.  That oversight will be a hot topic.  Does the seller expect that nobody will ask about that?

Funny how one little thing is 'off' and that really detracts from the car IMO:  [Seinfeld voice] "What's the deal with the black retaining rings on the headlights? "  We all expect to see chrome there, so why isn't it?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-bmc-mini-cooper/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think the fact that the car is in Germany may be the biggest hold back to it's financial future - at least for buyers here in the states.

I agree, seems underbody shots are required anymore - especially for older cars that were prone to rust anyway.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I am guessing the underside has some "character" bumps and bruises. Will be interesting to see were this one ends up price wise and geographically.

BruceK

I can't think of any reason at all why a rally Mini would not have a completely pristine body.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I thought the comment about the retread off road tires was interesting.....but what would an underfunded team owner do - put on $300 each new tires just to go tear them up on gravel? I think the retreads make a lot of sense......

Remember when Bandag made retreaded race tires? They still make OTR truck tires......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on January 09, 2018, 05:44:33 PM
I think the fact that the car is in Germany may be the biggest hold back to it's financial future

Having a Seller who (so far) has failed to respond to comments or to even make an appearance ain't helping it either.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yes, but with 5 days to go and the time difference we should hear from him tomorrow, if not......then the car will have a tough row to hoe........

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

The Seller just de-cloaked and is answering questions and promising underbody photos.

He also clarifies that this Mini has had rear disc brakes installed.  I'm looking forward to the new photos.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Speaking of rear disc...the 74 will be getting them.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 10, 2018, 02:56:37 PM
Speaking of rear disc...the 74 will be getting them.

I've heard that some people have used Honda or Ford rear discs and adapted them for Minis.  Or are you planning to get the KAD ones?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Yeah Kad.  I'm on a weight savings mission.

MiniDave

Ha! Saw that this morning.......an Isettavw   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on January 11, 2018, 08:20:52 AM

And a large money spending mission!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 11, 2018, 08:20:52 AM

Yes, you will be losing a lot of £'s with those KAD items. 

;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Lol yeah.  Dave has heard me go on and on about the weight loss program I have in mind. One new thing I learned this week researching was how much reducing rotational weight effects a car.  Every pound off the flywheel nets about 11 lbs off what the car feels like it's powering. Unsprung weight on wheels/brakes equate to 6-7lbs per pound shaved.  I think I can reduce the weight by 275lbs both in actual and rotational factors. 52lbs actual pounds off unsprung weight too.  With the new engine this thing should scream. Now to find time and the £'s to do it.

BruceK

Long ago I remember driving a friend's Mini to a body shop for painting. The car had been stripped down at his house to no interior, no glass anywhere, no bumpers or grill, no spare etc.  I'm not sure how much weight it lost but it was noticeably more lively on the road.

Of course part of that feeling might be because the wind was coming right through the missing windshield and blowing throughout the empty interior!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Just two days left on the auction for the rally Mini in Germany. 

Bids are only at $5K now and nobody but nobody has asked a single question about importing it to the US.   So either the BaT audience is fully versed on how that is done and the importation costs involved (some are), or, more likely IMO, there are no serious bidders involved so far. 

The Mini is probably worth more, but my wild guess as of this point is that this will be bid to maybe $11K-$13K and then close at Reserve Not Met.  Adding $2K-$4K or more to the bid for importation costs (Jena, Germany is more than 300 miles from a port) along with the logistical work involved will keep many bidders away.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Well now the subject of shipping has finally come up in the comments and the seller has responded with a terse single sentence on estimated costs.  Could he be more German?   ;D   I'm comparing that with a different seller offering a Citroen 2CV in Italy at auction also at BaT right now.  The Citroen owner has taken a pro-active approach regarding shipping. He is providing detailed information and promises to be very accommodating supporting the import process.  Huge difference.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

At around $6k now this auction is going to end up RNM imo reserve not met.