Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

I've heard that if you walk into a Porsche dealership the first thing the sales people do is look at your shoes to determine if they are stupidly expensive Italian loafers or not.  If they are, you've passed the first hurdle as a potential customer. 77.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Believe it or not, that's pretty much right.....my boss taught me that.

Same when you interview (not the stupid expensive part) clean, polished shoes say a lot about the man. Of course today everyone will interview in a T-shirt and shorts and flip flops.

But in the 80's, looking successful was very much a part of being successful.....at least in sales.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's still important in the airline world, at least for pilots. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 16, 2017, 04:45:31 PM
Deja vu all over again.

This Mk. I Mini went Reserve Not Met at under $10K about 7 months ago on BAT.   Now it's had a few updates since then and it is being listed again.   

It is very much a bitsa Mini, it looks pretty nice in a rarely-seen color.  But the underside is kind of beat up. 

BAT is listing it as a "1962 Austin Mini Cooper Mk1 1275cc" but without a real VIN nobody really can tell what it started life as.  A full front skirt points to it being an early Mk. I - if that panel is original to the car.   

Since it's a Mk. I, that adds some intrinsic value as does having a 1275 engine and upgraded disc brakes.  My wild guess is this will be bid for $13K - $15K  - no idea if it will be RNM again though...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-mini-cooper-5/

Poof!   The auction has been canceled.   The "Seller" sold the Mini behind BAT's back in a side deal. If he's capable of that, who knows if the car was represented honestly or not?

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And just like that, another Mini appears on BAT.

This one is a Woody with a little bit too much customization for my tastes.   Could possibly go for the mid-teens, but not sure about rust on this one yet.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-austin-mini-countryman-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

And the hits keep coming with another Mini being auctioned on BAT. 

This Innocenti looks very nice and original.  But the photos are not very good and there are not too many of them either.   I wonder what exactly goes through seller's minds -- don't they want to present the car in its best light?  (I'm being figurative and literal here!)  More photos are always better.  Perhaps BAT should just tell sellers to include under-car shots when the car is listed instead of invariably waiting halfway through an auction for the seller to reluctantly add them? 

This Mini is a 850, so that will turn some people away, but it sure looks clean and complete with no major flaws from what I can see so far.  It should appeal to both British and Italian car fans.  My guess is this could go for $12K - $14K if there is enough interest and some better photos appear.   

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-innocenti-mini/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 20, 2017, 04:46:01 PM
And just like that, another Mini appears on BAT.

This one is a Woody with a little bit too much customization for my tastes.   Could possibly go for the mid-teens, but not sure about rust on this one yet.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1963-austin-mini-countryman-2/

With a few hard-to-see images of the bottom, apparently the rust (or not) issue was not a concern to the bidders on this car.   It was who bid up to $12,500 where it was Reserve Not Met.     Had it been better presented and without the mickey mouse things like the Mini badge on the a-pillar and the headlight lids, I think it would have done better.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Jet Motors bid it all the way up to $12,250...... they musta thought it was worth $15 too - retail.

Those headlight lids and Mini emblem are easily removed, I can't believe they kept it from selling.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on November 22, 2017, 01:09:30 PM
And the hits keep coming with another Mini being auctioned on BAT. 

This Innocenti looks very nice and original.  But the photos are not very good and there are not too many of them either.   I wonder what exactly goes through seller's minds -- don't they want to present the car in its best light?  (I'm being figurative and literal here!)  More photos are always better.  Perhaps BAT should just tell sellers to include under-car shots when the car is listed instead of invariably waiting halfway through an auction for the seller to reluctantly add them? 

This Mini is a 850, so that will turn some people away, but it sure looks clean and complete with no major flaws from what I can see so far.  It should appeal to both British and Italian car fans.  My guess is this could go for $12K - $14K if there is enough interest and some better photos appear.   

Reserve Not Met at $10K.   That's not surprising as it is definitely worth more than that - it's a very nice, rare, and original Mini.   But I would have thought the bidding would be higher.   The brown color and the 850 engine perhaps were factors?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yep, I think the color and the 850 definitely hurt it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

It was a lot nicer car than the woody.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A 1988 Japanese spec Mini is now on BaT with a 998, 10" wheels and no a/c.   

Still early and lots of comments on the auction still to come, but my guess is that it could go for $12K - $14K unless something derails it.  Like the fact this car is still in Japan — but the sale includes shipping to a port in the US.   That will scare some people off. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-rover-mini-1000/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I dunno, I see a lot of negatives on this one, not the least of which the white driver's seat. But we'll see where it goes....oh, and a single throat downdraft weber carb? Wonder what that's off of?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

It looks more like a dual throat side-draft carb to me.  I would think perhaps too much carb for a 998.

MiniDave

Watching the video, needs second gear synchro, no easy job on these.....needs a new headliner, it has the usual glue permeating the headliner...no fix for that but to replace it which requires glass out. That seat is terrible, even the seller admits it.....but for a 998 rust free car that seems to run pretty nicely I think it should be a sub - $10K car. Don't know if it will sell for that tho....

The guy sounds like Alonso to me    ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on December 06, 2017, 10:59:11 AM

The guy sounds like Alonso to me    ;D

Except for the French accent!     ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Wowzers!!  The JDM Mini sitting in Japan sold on BaT for just $6400 - half of what I thought it would go for.   Even with the shot 2nd gear syncros the buyer got a fantastic deal and apparently the import process did not scare him off.    I would have thought the reserve was at least $9K or $10K.

Good to see that bargains are to be had.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

If he has to pay someone to do the transmission repairs and the headliner........I think he did just OK. If he can do the repairs himself, then maybe it was a better deal.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Well the new owner could just live with both.  Ignore the headliner (or leave intact and use vinyl paint) and double clutch and shift slow when going into 2nd ...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I suppose, it crunched pretty bad going into 2nd tho......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

A Mk. I Cooper S has been listed on BaT.   This one runs, but is going to take a whole lot of work to restore, both in body, suspension, and especially trim and paint.

I was so wrong about the winning price of the last Mini on BaT, I don't think I'll hazard a guess on this one.   What is interesting is that this is a No Reserve auction, so who knows what will happen in the next 7 days?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1965-austin-mini-cooper-s-3/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Boy howdy, this one needs everything - a total resto, no halfway here.......do you all think it will break $20K? Cause really, all that's here is a shell, a vin and a rebuildable engine and gearbox, it needs a complete interior, rust repairs, suspension (hydro too) and so on.......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Before I agree that it has a VIN, I'd like to see a photo of the plate itself.  I don't doubt it's a real Cooper S.  However, it's probably unlikely, but as we know sometimes VINs go to live another life in a different bodyshell. The auction seems to be focusing on the body number (mentioned and included in a photo) which of course means nothing at all.  It is possible to request a heritage certificate using the VIN based upon old paperwork so the fact it has one of those doesn't mean anything.  Of course I may just be acting paranoid about this.

My guess is that it will go somewhere in the mid teens to low 20s.   The fact that it is a running car helps because people can visualize being able to drive it before they restore it.  The no reserve auction is a wildcard -  and it could really get some people starry-eyed about obtaining a real Cooper S. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The BMHT certificate includes the body number.  The picture of the certificate shows the same body number as they are showing on the car.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on December 13, 2017, 01:03:49 PM
The BMHT certificate includes the body number.  The picture of the certificate shows the same body number as they are showing on the car.
Oh, I understand that.   

What I am saying is the actual VIN plate is not (yet) shown.   Where is it?  The likely answer is that is right were it should be - next to the radiator.  But that's a big assumption until they show it.  I mean it is possible that that VIN plate has gone elsewhere to live a life with another bodyshell.    In the meantime, it is kinda stupid for the auction to focus on the not-very-important-at-all body number.  After all, that is not what is used to register or insure a car.  So...why wouldn't there be a photo of the VIN plate in the 100+ photos included is what I'm saying.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S