Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: gr8kornholio on May 11, 2017, 07:46:51 PM
"Exterior flaws are listed as minor bubbling on the left rocker panel and some surface rust around the battery tray area."
How can you do a bare metal repaint 2 years ago and already have bubbling on a rocker panel and rust in the battery tray?  Obviously you didn't take the entire car to bare metal, or your paint shop SUCKS!  I don't get it.

I think the latter....poor prep work. I know Bruce's Emma is needing a little attention already and she had a full bare bones respray, and Don's Pup had a few bubbles showing up only a year or so after he got it, and it also was a full bare metal repaint.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Usually lack of an epoxy sealer will let moisture penetrate the metal.  However there are times it comes from the back of unprotected areas.  Commonly found between early type A panels and door bottoms.  A proper sealer can technically be sprayed over minor rust and the rust won't spread.  Once it gets moisture then you got problems.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on May 11, 2017, 09:43:33 PM
The MK II Cooper is not an S just a standard Cooper with a 1380 in it.

I missed that it wasn't a real S.  Probably should rely on reading better, looking more critically, and using my laptop rather than my phone.   :-[

I am revising my wildassguesstimate for the Mk. II to $14K
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

Looks like MiniGuy has really upped his game, he's high bidder on both these cars currently on BaT......the wagon at almost $11K and the MkII at almost $14K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

A new Mini offering on BaT, this time a factory "Retro" Mini!  I like it!

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-mini-studio-2-factory-development-car/

In the article they mention the top was black at one point, I think they should have painted it burgundy to pick up on the interior theme.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Is it just me, or does the door and the shell up to the front seem appear  to be a different shade of white?  I thought at first it was shadows, but every picture seems to show it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Not sure......

This one's for sale on Ebay UK - £40,000!  $52,00 in American.......but it does look brandy new. Left drive too......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Mini-Cooper-S-/201916904207?hash=item2f032f730f:g:C1oAAOSwKytZDMd7

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Quote from: MiniDave on May 17, 2017, 10:25:43 AM
Not sure......

This one's for sale on Ebay UK - £40,000!  $52,00 in American.......but it does look brandy new. Left drive too......

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morris-Mini-Cooper-S-/201916904207?hash=item2f032f730f:g:C1oAAOSwKytZDMd7

At this price most folks would be afraid to ever even drive it.

MiniDave

Well, the woody brought $17,000 and the MkII $13,750....pretty much what Bruce predicted.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Both of the doors on the white Mini have been repaired and painted due to rust issues with only 40k miles on it. They just missed the mark with this "design" glad it did not go into production. They should have used a lot more of the MK I stuff so people could relate to it and toned down the seats a little. It sold in the UK a couple of years ago but imo it would do better in Japan.

BruceK

New old Mini on BAT.   Looks to be a mostly intact Austin Mini 850 Deluxe Mk. I (although BAT lists it as a Super Deluxe). 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-austin-mini-850-mk1-super-deluxe/

My WAG is it will go for somewhere around $11K.    Could be more if somebody in the UK wants to buy it. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Plain-jane little Mini but it looks pretty nice. I would want a hands-on or eyes-on inspection for rust and body filler on this one......it might be fine, but I would want to know.

I have a local friend who's getting ready to list his 1999 MPI VTEC on BaT. It's an extremely nice example and he has it well sorted, even to the A/C. He's running a D series engine too.....I'll really be interested to see where it winds up - he's hoping for $20K or better.......

That white development car brought $12,850....does it seem like prices have come down a bit lately on Minis?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Yep, that's the car......it's beautiful in person.....funny.....1978......ad just went up today looks like.

I guess that's no different than my "72" Racing Green which is really an '89.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Right now, I would be tempted to get something like Kel's Mini if it were more reliable than my 2016 MINI Clubman.  My Clubman is back in the shop with another "Check Engine Light" issue.  I still don't have even 12K miles on it.  I should hear from the dealership tomorrow as to what the "diagnosis" may be.

MiniDave

From the MiniMania ad..... think the only issues he ever mentioned were trying to get the A/C sorted out (which he did) and trying to get an exhaust that didn't sound too "ricey", which he also did.

The Grand Touring Vtec Mini"
$24,000 OBO
Contact me Via Email or text. NO SPAMMERS!

I have owned this car for 12 years now and was told that I was the second owner. The car was purchased with 21,000 miles (yes that is correct). I drove it for 13k and decided to do a sohc Vtec swap. I have around 14k since the vtec conversion and it has been the most fun/reliable mini that I have owned in 18 years. It cruises at 70mph at around 3250rpm and does it with zero issues. I try to drive this car as much as possible (weather permissible), but due to this it does have some minor rock chips and scuffs. I have never driven it in snow, salted roads, or rain. It has had some body panels touched up before I bought it but no issues have shown up from it. The panels themselves are hard to to distinguish, definitely not a jo smo paint job.
I love this car and have babied it, but time to move on to a new toy.
Here is a link to a pile of photos and a list of everything done.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/longlivekel/albums/72157684134603616

All of the following has occurred within the last 14,000 miles (first aftermarket speedometer died at 12,000 miles)
Engine:
D16z6 SOHC vtec Engine block and head rebuild with all new honda seals (seals purchased from honda)
Bored the engine 0.25 and purchased 4 new pistons and ring set from honda
New water pump
New Belts
New Exedy clutch kit
New Spal Electric fan
New Fail safe thermostat
New Cap, rotor, wires
All new hoses
All new custom 2" exhaust
New motor mounts

Transmission-
Transmission teardown and inspection for synchro wear
Changed final gear ratio from 4.25 (Civic Si) to 3.722 (civic hx). This made the first and second gear more useable for street use and reduced the screaming rpm at highway use (around 3250rpm at 70mph)
New honda transmission fluid
New brake master and slave
Minitec chromoly axles with cv joints

Brakes:
Redline Racing Blue Dot 4 fluid
Minisport 8.4" vented brake kit with billet calipers and slotted rotors
Goodridge braided rear and front brake hoses
New rear drum shoes and wheel cylinders
New Goodridge braided lines from bias to master cylinder

Suspension:
New Adjustable caster camber kit for the front
Adjustable ride height trumpets front and rear
Kyb shocks
Front suspension poly bushings
Sracer Rear bump stop kit
(1 year old) Yokohama A539 Tires

HVac
Custom Vintage air install for heater and air condition
Refurbished honda civic a/c compressor
All new fittings to fit the heating and cooling setup

Interior Acoustics:
Sound Deadened the floor a and trunk.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

The pictures in the flickr album show an interesting "mod" to the exhaust where it enters the final muffler.

MiniDave

Yes I saw that, like I said he experimented quite a bit to get a good sound and it has a nice deep growl, in fact it doesn't sound anything like a Honda!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

it looks like a very nice and  well-sorted Mini. 

So, he's gonna try MiniMania first and then list it on BAT if that doesn't work?

There will certainly be pushback on the re-VIN aspect on BAT I think.  But that would die down if the rest of the car does not disappoint.  I can already hear the California comments complaining about it not being able to pass smog testing...   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Yeah, no cat converter....but there are ton's of Vtec Minis in Ca, wonder how they got them registered?

There are a few dings that I think a Doctor Dent guy could easily remedy - I would have done that before I put it up for sale. I think he's going to list it concurrently on BaT.

Don talks to him all the time, I keep telling him to go drive it so he can see if that's the diff ratio he wants for his Pup. 3200 @ 70 mph would sure be an improvement over his now, which is closer to 4K.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Interesting development - BaT turned down Kel's Vtec Mini for auction on their site saying it was too "niche" and that his reserve was too high, and should be more like $14K.

Too niche? 

I'm floored that they've gotten picky like this......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Really?!  This is the same site now featuring a 1990 Chevy van with 180K miles and a home built interior?

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1990-chevrolet-g20-van/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

So do websites "Jump the Shark" like TV shows?
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on May 25, 2017, 12:13:59 PM
So do websites "Jump the Shark" like TV shows?

Ha!  I'd say they do when they get too big for their own britches.   

Too niche? 

I get that they don't want a lot of auctions to end up as RNM because that would hurt their reputation as a viable auction site, but we all know the potential market for a VTEC Mini like that one is a lot greater than the potential market of enthusiasts looking for a time-capsule Mini 850 like they currently offer (no slight to that particular car intended).   

Of course price factors in as it must.   Personally, I think $24K for that car is too high.  It will sit on MM's site for 6-9 months or more and then the price will have to drop more like all the other dreamer Mini prices.  But BAT is way, way off at suggesting $14K too.   The sweet spot is probably $19K or so IMO. (and, as we all know, the eventual selling price doesn't really matter too much compared to how much someone would have to spend to recreate a particular car)

I wonder if BAT was pissed the Mini was going to be listed concurrently on MiniMania's classifieds at the same time?   If I was BAT, I'd demand exclusivity - certainly during the run of the auction.   And the Internet never forgets anything, so if the intention is to put it on BAT, I think it's a mistake to offer the car for sale elsewhere first on the Interwebs to test the waters, and make the asking price known, before putting it on a premier sales venue like BAT. 

If I was going to sell a car (thinking MiniDave and a certain feline car), I would observe complete radio silence about the car, photos, and details until the big coming out party on BAT, (after first rectifying any known flaws and shortcomings) and having a professional photographer (I think you might know one) work his magic. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S