Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

Kinda surprised by bidder MiniGuy's intensive last minute requests for a lot of additional detailed information about the car, followed by his not-so-intensive bidding.  It was clearer with each new bit of information that nobody could find any negatives or objections - the additional info just reinforced it is a great Mini. 

Of course I was not a bidder myself, so maybe some might think I shouldn't comment on that.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MPlayle

If the bidder MiniGuy is the same Michael Lewis that does the MiniGuy consignment website, then he was probably researching the car for a potential client/buyer in asking all of the questions and would likely try to do an "buy it now" type offer after the end of the auction if it did not sell and his buyer was in fact interested.

MiniDave

It is the same MiniGuy, and he started to annoy me with all the references to his own site thru out his comments.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah that's him. 

However, a more cynical person might possibly believe that all the comments and questions, and special requests, sprinkled liberally with near-constant references to his own website and Mini business, could have a more self-serving purpose of generating exposure and traffic to his website.   

I've noted he has bid on many Minis on BaT (over 17 of them), but his bids stop before he gets anywhere close to the actual value of the cars - a strategy that means he has yet to win a single auction there.

Again, I have never been a bidder in BaT, so I'm being a bit of an armchair quarterback.  But  I would file this under things that make you go Hmmmmmmm. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I was typing my response and missed reading Dave's comments before posting mine, but it looks like we are thinking the same thing. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

His bid win record is actually 0 for 20 if you include the 3 cars that weren't classic Minis which he has bid on -- all of which happen to be the type of cars that might appear alongside classic Minis on his website (Fiat Jolly, Austin America, and new MINI).
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

I haven't looked at the BAT auctions to see the actual activity, but what you describe is much more to the "shameless self-promoting" than seriously pursuing any particular car.

If trying to collect information for a prospective client, I would think he would ask for all of the details in one request early on and then bid seriously if his client were truly interested and not bid at all if the interest were not serious.

MiniDave

Mplayle, didn't he sell your green van for you?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Being an actual bidder, albeit one with bids that upon closer examination don't approach the real value of the car being auctioned, and asking questions that seem serious, provides some cover from the outright appearance of "shameless self-promoting".

But...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 26, 2017, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: Willie_B on March 25, 2017, 02:18:44 PM
He bought his from Dion Jardine, DJ minis, in Florida. I imported mine myself.

From NZ?  It's a little premature, but if.. well when I get my next mini I've really taking a liking to the Australian clubmans.  Doubt there are many of those in the states already.  So will most likely have to look into importing one.  Just a note for the future.

Here's a Clubman from Oz:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Mini-Classic-Mini-AUSTIN-CLUBMAN-RHD-/192142579101?hash=item2cbc97159d:g:AtUAAOSwax5Y2rSs&vxp=mtr

It hasn't run for a while, but it's a rare Mini and pretty reasonable IMO with a Buy it Now of just $6450

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Dave,

Yes, I had MiniGuy broker the sale of my green Mini Van.

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on March 31, 2017, 10:24:18 PM
Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 26, 2017, 09:42:55 AM
Quote from: Willie_B on March 25, 2017, 02:18:44 PM
He bought his from Dion Jardine, DJ minis, in Florida. I imported mine myself.

From NZ?  It's a little premature, but if.. well when I get my next mini I've really taking a liking to the Australian clubmans.  Doubt there are many of those in the states already.  So will most likely have to look into importing one.  Just a note for the future.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1975-Mini-Classic-Mini-AUSTIN-CLUBMAN-RHD-/192142579101?hash=item2cbc97159d:g:AtUAAOSwax5Y2rSs&vxp=mtr

It hasn't run for a while, but it's a rare Mini and pretty reasonable IMO with a Buy it Now of just $6450

Wow, lots of interesting different details on that one, like the third seat belt in the rear and those master cylinders.....and it's in your old town, St. Louis - just up the road!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Did you see the center dash?    Very strange looking.   Yeah, I don't need another Mini but I did fantasize about it.  And I could probably ask my brother who lives in St. Louis to go look at it.    But besides the unknowns about the body condition, there are the unknowns about the powertrain.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I know someone who could rebuild the engine/trans for you  ;D

I also know someone who has a nice 1275 w/remote gearbox to replace the 998 that's in it......just needs to be built.

Of course then you'd want to add front disc brakes, new rubber springs, hi-los, etc, etc etc......there's really no end to these cars, is there?

I think the body looks pretty solid, so what I would do with it is get it running again and go from there. I might just get it safe to drive and leave it alone as it is.

Spot the differences - check out the recessed door handles.....scuttle around the wipers......boot lid around the lic plate....I think the radio is aftermarket, but that switch panel isn't, and it is unlike any I've even seen......seats look comfy.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Sooo tempting to add an Aussie clubman to my Aussie mini collection, but I was out of room before the first one.  Definitely falls under the would if I hadn't already bought one.  Love the Aussie clubmans.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

On the MiniGuy topic, I always considered him a flipper, if he can't get it to make a profit he will stop bidding. He has seemed to be doing a lot of o yea, look at these from my site lately though.  So probably a little self promoting going on.  Hopefully the mini eventually sells and got some good exposure on there.   

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Another Mini on BAT.    This is a circa 1979 Canadian Mini 1000 (big ugly bumpers removed) that is being auctioned as a 1971 Mini from Canada but with a 1275.  However, it appears to not have a 1275 at all -- looks like it has a 998.   Already it is bid up to $8K with no seller response at all.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-mini-mk-iii/

My crystal ball says the seller will be forced to admit he didn't know it didn't have a 1275 engine.   And didn't know it was re-VIN'd.   And yet I think this Mini will still sell for $11K or more (unless the auction is cancelled). 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 04, 2017, 06:41:28 AM
My crystal ball says the seller will be forced to admit he didn't know it didn't have a 1275 engine.   And didn't know it was re-VIN'd.   And yet I think this Mini will still sell for $11K or more (unless the auction is cancelled).

Update:  The seller has now surfaced on BAT.   Actually, the 'seller' is someone who is helping the actual owner sell the car (I think I might have seen this situation on Craigslist before  :)  )  and the 'seller' says information about the car "is what was provided by the previous owner at sale".  So, is that two or three degrees of separation being established?

So, it is a Mini originally sold in Canada, that supposedly lived its life in California, which is now offered for sale in NY state with a Montana title.   Yup, that's clear.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Well, so much for my crazy plans I was contemplating.  The listing has ended.  Back to the original plan. 

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 04, 2017, 07:38:56 AM
My crystal ball says the seller will be forced to admit he didn't know it didn't have a 1275 engine.   And didn't know it was re-VIN'd.   

New photos have been added clearly showing an engine number for a 998 engine - not a 1275 as the auction claims.  A pretty big misrepresentation.   

Now that this as come to light and can be verified by the engine numbers, I am waiting for claims of ignorance by the seller. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

The auction for the Canadian Mini is drying up - little interest for the last couple of days not since it became clear the seller was either a liar or stupid regarding not knowing the actual engine size and details about the car.  They also messed up on listing the correct year the car is titled.   It feels sloppy all around.   

I've got a feeling it will end up reserve not met and the seller just wants this auction to disappear as soon as possible. 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

That often happens in the middle of the week, with three days to go we'll see if comments pick up towards the end, but I think you may be right.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

For $49 I'm tempted to list mine.  Just for fun and to learn about it from all the experts.  And hey if it sells for the reserve I'll find another.   ;D

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 07, 2017, 04:46:11 PM
For $49 I'm tempted to list mine.  Just for fun and to learn about it from all the experts.  And hey if it sells for the reserve I'll find another.   ;D
I think anyone selling a car on BAT has got to be prepared for the very intense spotlight and inevitable criticism of imperfections of the car being auctioned. I thought Brad's brother put forth a  fantastic effort to be responsive to questions about his car, but for some crazy reason bidding on it never approached what it should have.  It's a real crapshoot. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S