Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

That thing is wild!    I'm trying to understand the exhaust arrangement - looking at the engine it looks like there are headers going right up and out to an exit in the A-panel.  But I don't see that when I look at the car with the front clip on.    In fact I see dual exhausts in the rear just on either side of the backup and fog lights.   

Perhaps the side exit exhaust didn't pass muster at MOT time? 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

or, it's a cutout for drag racing, then a pipe goes down each side to the back? Or we're seeing pics from different periods in it's construction? I dunno....I was confused also.

But I imagine it goes like stink (at least in a straight line), makes great noises and is loud as hell inside!

Reminds me of when my friend and I (at age 15-16) put a bored out 283 in a Ford Anglia......

I saw where Joltfreak is selling his V-8 Mini also, his is done differently, he has a front drive V-8 out of a Chevy SS mounted in the rear of his......similar idea to what I'm planning to do with the Ecoboost Mini, but I'm going the other way - smaller, lightweight engine making "enough" power
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

This nice B series Vtec Mini sold for $19,999 on BaT yesterday......

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-austin-mini/

And this Phil Wicks race Mini (driven by Mr. Wicks hisownself) may bring pretty close to the same money! Currently at $17K with 38 minutes to go in the auction.....

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-1275/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Hoping the end of the race mini is more exciting than the vtec.  Figured at the 19,999 it had topped out and I was right.  No last hours bidding on it at all. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

It is unfortunate the VTEC Mini had the Cyrano de Bergerac nose extension.    I think that put some people off.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Even so, I was surprised to see it sell at this price.....

Reserve not met on the Wicks race car......at $17,750.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

On the vtec, I'm not convinced it was worth much more.  Maybe worth isn't the right word, but the old adage is "It's only worth what someone is willing to pay." 

I've shopped them for awhile, and they definitely top out.  Seen several similar builds to that one, even without the extended nose, a little above and below 20K.  The SUPER nice ones seem to languish in the 30s forever before being lowered below 30 and probably sell for even less.  35K is a lot for a toy rocket.

I think it's the car. Most people shopping for a classic mini aren't after neck snapping acceleration.  Who needs to accelerate if you don't have to slow down in the first place.  It's the joy of the drive.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a beast vtec mini, but I think in general there is a very small market for them and people sink way too much money into building them.  Custom cars have horrible return on investment, especially if you pay someone else to do the work.   

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

gr8kornholio

MiniDave

This is a nice Authi Mini, but being an 850 makes it pretty much a town only car.....33 hp doesn't get you much over 60 mph, and it will take a week to get there!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

My WAG on that Spanish 850 on BAT is that it will be sold for $8,500. 

What do you guys think?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think that's a realistic value, but I think the reserve will be higher than that......maybe $10K.

When I compare this car to the 81 for sale locally that has rust and a 998 for $10K, I'd rather have the rust free 850 for the same money.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

10K was about what I was thinking for the reserve.  See if it'll get there.  The fairly rusted green one from a month ago hit 7900 I believe.  Don't recal what motor it had. 

gr8kornholio

1963 Austin Mini Cooper Mk1  In Dallas!!!  Would love to check this out in person.  If the zipcode is accurate, this is really close to me.  GBtollway and NDtollway

BruceK

Very interesting.  Looks like it's been in storage.   Austin-badged, but with a Morris grille. 

Do you have a link?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

So what makes this a Morris grille?  Educate me.

MiniDave

Oh, and the Authi 850 brought $12374, more than I thought it would......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on March 10, 2017, 07:57:53 PM
So what makes this a Morris grille?  Educate me.
The size and shape of the slats means it is a Morris Mark I Cooper grill which was used on the Cooper models, and not on any of the non-Cooper Minis.  Regular Morris Minis got a stamped grille, white on early cars and chrome on later ones.   

Austin Mini Coopers got a grille with thinner slats.  And many non-Cooper Austin Minis got a wavy grille -  you'll know it when you see it   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yea, just googled mini MK1 grilles, and see the 3 distinctly different types.  So mine looks like this one, but what I've seen from the Australian cars is nothing seems to match convention. 

MPlayle

I seem to recall reading on a different forum a post from folks in Australia that all Minis down there were branded as "Morris".

gr8kornholio

That's what I've read/heard too, but mine didn't come with the correct badges and can't find any designation in the VIN that indicates Morris.  One of these days I'll send my VIN to the heritage place and hope they can shed some light on it.

BruceK

Mark, for a regular Mk. I Mini VIN starts with A, it's an Austin, if with a M, it's a Morris.  At least that was BMC's practice for the  Longbridge and Cowley factories in the UK.  Not sure if they stuck to that with the CKD cars for other markets. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Reserve not met.  Way to absentee of a seller.  Even one guy posted about his experience trying to call him.  Shady car with shady seller.  Not surprised at the outcome.

gr8kornholio

There coming out of the wood work as they say.  Here's another one on BAT this morning.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1972-innocenti-mini/

MiniDave

Did you all see that 2006 MINI on BaT with 226K miles brought $9K!?!?!??!??!    :-\

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad