Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceK

And the hits keep coming!   This is now the fourth Mini currently offered on BaT.   It really is Mini week!

This Mini has been built up as a tribute to AJB44B, the famous works Mini Cooper S that was entered in the 1964 Apline Rally, the 1964 Tour de France (obviously not the bike race), the and 1964 RAC Rally.  It was DNF in all of them.  Then came the 1965 Monte Carlo Rally where AJB44B really redeemed itself by coming in 1st.  And it was promptly retired by BMC and kept as a display car for promotional purposes.  Fifty-three years later it currently is on display at the Heritage Museum at Gaydon - I saw it there a couple of months ago.

Looks to me to be that this replica/tribute is well done.  I wonder how a Mini presented like this will do?  Does it attract more buyers?  Or is it too much of a niche?

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-mini-mk-i/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jimini II

They unscrew Dave. I use a sharp scraper and with a couple of hammer blows they shear off.
The only trouble with a stamped into the block engine number is you are not sure that you are buying the correct car and engine package or if it was just copied off the Heritage certificate.
Also the vin plate is hand stamped from the top side you would think they would have made one up correctly with the reverse stamping.
By the looks of the receipts Jet Motors / Jeremy Thorpe is doing well with these restorations.

MiniDave

How do you unscrew them when they are already sheared off flush with the block, and you can't drill into them?

And yes, Jet Motors is featuring prominently in a number of auctions these days.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

You can't unscrew them it they are sheared off i was just offering a solution if they can't be removed. Are you sure the ones you tried to drill out were original as i can't imagine the ones i have sheared off with a scraper were that hard?
I had a Mini engine here once and it had a 998cc engine number on the block and was clearly a 1275cc with a HIF 44 and a 12G940 head on it and ran like a bat out of hell, it ended up that the engine plate was glued onto the block with the tops of the rivets glued on also and they looked like they had been cut with cutting pliers to me. The back story was it was used in local hill climbs in the UK and was maybe cheating a little LOL.

MiniDave

Like you can't tell a 1275 from a 998 just by looking at it!  Lol   ;D

Well, maybe I'll give it another go, but I sure didn't have any luck the first time I tried it......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I didn't want to say anything on the BaT listing, but did anyone look at those Jet Motors invoices on the Moke? Holy Crap on a cracker!

57 hours @$100 to change the suspension, brakes, exhaust, and fit a new ignition system .....and the part prices! Wow!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 19, 2018, 02:13:12 PM
I didn't want to say anything on the BaT listing, but did anyone look at those Jet Motors invoices on the Moke? Holy Crap on a cracker!

57 hours @$100 to change the suspension, brakes, exhaust, and fit a new ignition system .....and the part prices! Wow!

I saw there were invoiced, but I didn't look into them.  But wow.  Just WOW.   I would bet that Heritage Garage has similar pricing since they are direct competitors.  You've got to be really un-handy with tools, or made of money, to pay crazy money like that.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yea, and $100 an hour is fairly cheap these days.  Dan, you didn't read that, OK!  They probably got the parts from mania or 7 and marked them up 15-20%.  Why buy the cheaper parts to mark up, lol.  That's why I'm sure on that Speed New Black mini she had to have well over 50K in it cause I can bet you they are well over $100 an hour. 
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: gr8kornholio on August 19, 2018, 02:46:54 PM
  They probably got the parts from mania or 7 and marked them up 15-20%.  Why buy the cheaper parts to mark up, lol.

Because more markup = more $$$.  And it sure looks like they like $$$$.   If they bought parts from the UK, they'd get a nice 'motor trade' discount off the retail UK prices (which, as we know, are 1/2 to 1/3 of the prices that Minimania and Seven charge dumb Americans) so room for even more markup. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

If anyone is curious I'm $50 and don't mark up parts. 

MPlayle

Actually, most of the US based Mini parts suppliers (Heritage, 7Ent, Mania, etc.) do NOT receive a "trade" discount.  They buy the same parts we can from the same UK suppliers.  They then add in shipping to their location and then their markup on top of that to set the price the charge to us.

Most of the US based Mini parts suppliers also do not offer any "trade" discount to repair shops ordering from them.

I learned this back when I lived in Ft. Collins, Colorado and hung out with the folks that owned and ran The Motorway Ltd. (a British car service and restoration shop).  The only parts supplier that gave them a "trade" discount was Moss Motors. 

94touring

Well they can get knockoff panels at about 25% cheaper than what spares advertises.  Heritage panels too for that matter, though heritage sets the price on what you resell at. I know because I bought 2 big shipments worth.  I also had a wholesale thing going on with Leacy for awhile and was getting roughly 25% off as well.  Problem is it's a pita to stock and sell that many mini parts for the minimal amount of profit you make, at least for a guy like me with a job.

MiniDave

Well, I blame the owner for not at least checking some of this stuff themselves, but holy markup Batman.....those parts prices were absolutely nuts!

I also charge $50/hr and I think that's reasonable for the expertise level I bring. I'm also pretty liberal on the time I charge.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Plus we don't have overhead!

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on August 19, 2018, 04:06:59 PM
Actually, most of the US based Mini parts suppliers (Heritage, 7Ent, Mania, etc.) do NOT receive a "trade" discount.  They buy the same parts we can from the same UK suppliers.  They then add in shipping to their location and then their markup on top of that to set the price the charge to us.

Hmmmm.  I am somewhat skeptical of that.   From what I understand some loosely based Mini clubs such as the Mini Forum and others get a 7.5% discount at MiniSpares, right?  And I know a guy back in the 1990s who sort of ran a backyard "Mini repair shop".   He had business cards made up at Kinkos and presented one as proof of his "business".  He was offered, and took, a nice trade discount from MS at the time.  I benefited from his discount on some orders I made back then.   I really can't see Don Racine, who has been buying in bulk from MiniSpares for over 4 decades, paying full retail there.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

It was many years ago, when Mini Spares and Mini Mania had their "falling out" and separated their websites, that I heard the information.  It may have changed since then.

If they are getting a "trade" discount, then their mark up seems even bigger and "overhead" just does not seem to fully explain it away.

BruceK

There's an interesting turn of events on the Moke auction.  The dealer selling the Moke acknowledges that the 1990s Cagiva Moke body with the Austin Moke VIN (and drivetrain) and the Morris Moke title, (my words, not his) may not exactly be a 1967 Morris Mini Moke, entirely.  He's offered to look for the hidden VIN on the body and post photos of it.  That's very upfront.  I wonder if the body has (or had) a hidden VIN stamped on it.  I would think that Portugal, being part of the EU, would have required hidden VIN stamping by the 1990s.  But then again, Portugal is not exactly known as a automotive manufacturing powerhouse.

I wonder how this discussion is going to affect the auction?  I'm guessing interested buyers are happy to overlook this. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Well, all the buyers seem to think an 850 Moke with a ton of go fast look goodies somehow is a performance car! So I'm guessing that they don't really care - after all several people have pointed that info out to them already and the bids just keep climbing.

I think some people feel that if you spend enough money on a car it's worth that and more - I believe in the market, not the expenditures.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Bruce, you really think the green car on BaT is a $23K car? I'm thinking it will bring $13,500 to $15K

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 09:29:17 AM
Bruce, you really think the green car on BaT is a $23K car? I'm thinking it will bring $13,500 to $15K

I was saying that it possibly could sell more for than the recent authentic Mk II Cooper S which sold for only $16,500 (because it wasn't presented very well for what it is).   I think you are right in line on this car.  My guess is this will be bid up to $13K to $15K.  There are no real negatives on this car, but I think the seller could have done more to play up the fact that this is an authentic later generation Mini Cooper.  Not just a Mini. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I've been reading thru the invoices on the Red MkII, that guy spent a shed load of money at Jet Motors on the car in 2013, and spent another shed load at another shop this year, much of which was correcting what was done wrong at Jet Motors! No wonder he's selling the car! Someone will be getting a well sorted finished car tho

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Man they are flagging comments on the Moke right and left.....anyone know who "Werewolf" on BaT is?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

"Werewolf" is the screen name for Bill Cox (runs Monte Carlo Minis in Earl, NC.).  He is a know trouble maker and rabble-rouser on several forums.  He uses the same username on the Mini Mania forum where he has been banned many times over the years.

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on August 20, 2018, 01:19:48 PM
Man they are flagging comments on the Moke right and left.....anyone know who "Werewolf" on BaT is?
Yeah, I figured it out earlier today.  It's Bill Cox.  North Carolina-based long time importer of less than pristine Minis and flagrant self-promoter.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Dang.  Michael beat my response by mere seconds!    ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S