Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I paid premo bucks for my force racing rims and race tires and didn't spend much over 1k for the package.  Speaking of the race tires, they still have a lot of meat on the fronts.  Rears barely look worn at all.

Scargo

BruceK, My money is on the fact that Mayjer (from Canada) is the same guy as Spitz (from Canada) over on the MM Forum. Spitz has been referring to the Mini as a MINI for over a decade, proudly citing the fact that it says MINI on the boot badge of his classic. He just won't let it go.

BruceK

Quote from: Scargo on January 05, 2021, 08:47:08 AM
BruceK, My money is on the fact that Mayjer (from Canada) is the same guy as Spitz (from Canada) over on the MM Forum. Spitz has been referring to the Mini as a MINI for over a decade, proudly citing the fact that it says MINI on the boot badge of his classic. He just won't let it go.

Yeah crazy.

By that logic "Ford" should always be written in cursive writing. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Does it really cost $750 American dollars to have 4 tires shipped to Canada when I pay half that to Oklahoma?

Scargo

The last time I purchased 10" A008's it was from MiniSport UK. They cost considerably less than $400 w/shipping and arrived in VA. within three days.

skmini

4x 10" A008 from Minispares comes to $450CAD to my doorstep in the middle of nowhere Canada.  The duties, brokerage fees and taxes can add up coming into Canada, though.  There really is no minimum dollar amount where they don't charge.  Still, the last $400CAD Minisport order I got had $30CAD of duties, brokerage and taxes on it, so unless the tires have a particularly high tariff on them for some reason, I would expect it to be around $30 on the tires too.  I think this has all become less expensive in the last few years, though.

In 2009, I ordered A008 tires from Tirerack, and that came to $530CAD including duties ($25), brokerage ($20), taxes ($45) and shipping ($70).  I assume it was going to be more expensive coming from the UK, or I wouldn't have got them from the US.

94touring

Excellent info, thanks!  450 Canadian is 355 USD.

BruceK

So the Canadian price and the US price are virtually the same.   Mayjer was talking out his butthole when he said $750.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Or he bought from minimania  8.gif

94touring

Seller just cleared up the prices on tires.  I guess it's Spitz's turn.

BruceK

Don't hold your breath.  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Doesn't take much to derail an auction, does it?   8.gif

The main thing I'm learning is to always be responsive and not combative.....

I don't know what the market should be on this car but I think the price it's at now is not far off, maybe $13,500 ish - tops?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah, I'm partially responsible for that derailment.  But you're right, the seller has rolled with the punches and kept things positive. Dealers do that so much better than individual sellers. All those years of experience and they don't have any emotional attachments to the cars. 

I think it might go for $15,000.   It has that 1380 engine going for it, but since it hasn't been registered in 25 years no one really knows how much use it has had.  It runs and drives - as evidenced by the video - so it's way ahead of that last Mini that was auctioned.   Although it is being called a "rally car" having a rollcage, sump guard, and two driving lights really doesn't make it so.

I expect a lot more "won't pass smog" comments in the coming days as the California faction sours on owning it.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think it's a rallye car because the movie guy drove it in rallyes 25 years ago?   ::)

It's already been pointed out that it will NEVER pass Ca emissions, so that shouldn't really be a consideration....it's going to have to go out of state if/when it sells.

I wonder how much the seller is banking on the Bruce Brown connection to drive the value....cause I don't think it's helping all that much - lots of guys know who he was, but don't think that means they should pay up for his old car.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 05, 2021, 11:34:55 AM
So the Canadian price and the US price are virtually the same.   Mayjer was talking out his butthole when he said $750.

Now Mayjer says he doesn't "pull prices from my arse".  Lol.   As I said before, I think that's exactly where they come from!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

He's quoting mania prices in Canadian dollars is what I've concluded.  Why he feels the need to do so remains a mystery.

BruceK

What a provincial attitude!  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Mania's price for  4 - A008 tires right now is $429.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: MiniDave on January 05, 2021, 05:21:03 PM
Mania's price for  4 - A008 tires right now is $429.

In Canadian that's about 545 plus some shipping.  He gave a number for 032's which came out to around 700 Canadiamania dollars. 

Jimini II

Quote from: Scargo on January 05, 2021, 08:47:08 AM

You are 100% correct Howard Mayjer and Spitz are the same person.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on January 05, 2021, 03:40:37 PM

I expect a lot more "won't pass smog" comments in the coming days as the California faction sours on owning it.

And right on schedule the California smog discussions have erupted.  The seller points out that technically with enough work "it is possible" for the Mini to pass smog.

Just it was technically possible for Top Gear to turn a Reliant Robin into a rocket-powered space shuttle.

Probably with the same crash and burn result.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

A late model JDM Mini Cooper with a refurbished, working air conditioning system is now on BaT.  It's had rust repaired and sports a fresh paint job.  Pretty good driving video too.  And it is low mileage.

I think this will definitely steal some interest away from the red bitsa Mini.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1994-rover-mini-cooper/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

MiniDave

Much nicer car than the Bruce Brown "rallye" car.....I sent Lumbago a note about it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Good looking and looks to be a well sorted Mini it should do well.
I would have binned the wing mirrors when it was repainted.