Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cstudep

is it normal for comments to disappear? There were several comments above the last bid which were there but when I refreshed they are now gone. One saying it had been for sale locally for 50k plus some banter back and forth about the more rare cooper S cars with the 1071 etc..

EDIT: and now all the comments are back again......strange.

MiniDave

Those comments still show up for me - he says he turned down $40K Canadian for it already, or about $31K US.....He also claims it's an "original" shell, even tho it's had the sills replaced and who knows what else, and of course it has the wrong seats and on and on.

I wish him luck.

End line.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

You probably have to log back in.  Did the same thing to me the other day.

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2020, 01:24:04 PM

Yeah. That's what happened.  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on December 30, 2020, 01:46:53 PM
Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2020, 01:24:04 PM

Yeah. That's what happened.  ;D

Maybe it was my tiny phone screen  77.gif

cstudep

I was viewing it one of my 3 27" computer monitors so I know screen size wasn't my issue. Very well could have been user error but I would see comments come in, refresh the page and they would disappear. It did it 4 times, then all of a sudden they were all there again. Probably a cache or cookies problem or something who knows, I just thought it was odd is all.

BruceK

Quote from: cstudep on December 30, 2020, 04:55:56 PM
I was viewing it one of my 3 27" computer monitors so I know screen size wasn't my issue. Very well could have been user error but I would see comments come in, refresh the page and they would disappear. It did it 4 times, then all of a sudden they were all there again. Probably a cache or cookies problem or something who knows, I just thought it was odd is all.

Oh I believe you. Similar things have happened to me and Dan just this week, so he and I are just gently ribbing each back-and-forth about things on the screen not visible at certain times.  You were kinda caught up in it - wasn't directed to you at all.   4.gif
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

cstudep

It's all good, I vaguely remember now you 2 going back and forth about something like that  77.gif

BruceK

A Canadian-market 1979 Mini is now on BaT.  It's been kinda sorta turned into a pseudo-rally car and it was owned by a movie director.  It's in California but apparently has not passed smog since 1995.   The California title will make it attractive to some people but looks like it's not been registered for 25 years or more.  So that kind of takes the shine off it.

Outside of California it may find some interest.  My wild ass guess is this car will be bid into the mid-teens.  May be a little higher, but I don't think the connection to the entertainment industry is going matter.  The Canadian shell makes it a bit unattractive but the 1380 engine sort of counters that. 

As we saw recently with the auction of the Mk II Cooper S, so much of the bidding is going to depend on the comments and what people discover about the car.  At least there's already a cold start video and driving video.  The driving video is pretty funny win the driver calls out in excitement that he's accelerated to 60.   Except the speedo is in kph. So all of 37mph!   :D

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-austin-mini-3/ 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Those front tires look like they will rub something fierce when turning.

BruceK

The seller of this red Mini is engaged and responsive.   But he's pushing the celebrity-owned angle a bit much.  Scans of the director's obituary have been posted.  Steve McQueen's name has been dropped.  All in the first few hours.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Interesting that he starts it right up without any choke.  The pictures of the dash show both the heater cable and choke cable to be "missing".

MiniDave

Well, it is a "rallye" car.....and it's California - you don't need either a choke or heater - he was wearing shorts in Dec.

He did admit that it was 60kph tho.....busted!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Geez, bids are already up to $10,000 with 6 days left and people are waxing poetic about the two sports documentaries (one motorcycling, one surfing) that the director made 50 years ago.  It's not like he had any association with Minis.

I think at some point the "good old days of California" nostalgia will wear thin and bidders will recognize this is just a bitsa Mini that hasn't been on the road in 25 years.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Now that I look closer I guess the front tires shouldn't rub since they are 008s.  The black on black made it look like a lot of rubber.

BruceK

There is plenty of people making comments (myself included), but no new bids have appeared in the past 2 or 3 days for the "celebrity owned" Mini. 

Seems plenty people think the director was a pretty cool guy, but does that really translate into any associated value for a car he used to own?   I don't think so.  But I guess we will see. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

I had never heard of the guy. 

MiniDave

Yeah, $1000 for a set of A008's......Ha!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Dave, I liked your comment on BAT. 

That Mayjer guy is plain weird.  Insists on always writing Mini in all caps MINI when talking about the classic Mini.   He says he does that because that's the way the chrome emblem looks on his car.   ::)   He also insists on using CA to refer to Canada because that's what is at the end of a URL for a Canadian website. (eg https://company.timhortons.ca ) Never mind it's confusing as hell in his posts because of course people think he's referring to California.  He's been called out on both those things and insists on staying weird.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

For $1000 I'd better be getting new rims with the tires, plus a spare. 

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on January 04, 2021, 07:30:42 PM
I had never heard of the guy.

You're too young!   :D

I think you can find Endless Summer on Youtube these days.....it's worth a watch. he's the narrator....it's an interesting film for a lot of reasons, it's a documentary made on a shoestring, yet it was a time when people could do stuff like this - just head out with very little money and go surfing all over the world. Pretty interesting the places they went....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Oh if it's about surfing then that explains why I don't know the guy.  Lived at the beach for 13 years but couldn't care less about surfing.

MiniDave

He also did a movie called "On any sunday" It was about motocross.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: 94touring on January 04, 2021, 08:30:56 PM
For $1000 I'd better be getting new rims with the tires, plus a spare.

Yeah, it's just crazy with the prices MiniMania/Seven get away with.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S