Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gr8kornholio

Random...  A comment of mine on the M3C5 mashup bmw 325i made the comments of note for yesterday!! 

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/04/21/m3c5-vette-mashup-1994-bmw-325i/

M3/C5 Vette Mashup: 1994 BMW 325i

"Modern day hotrod/muscle car. Big engine, small capable chassis. Perfect! Good thing I already spent my money on my mini. Love the color combo.

For the purists, get over it, it's hotrodding. Been going on for decades and will continue forever. Besides, it was a 325i, how many were produced? Not to mention, this would probably smoke the doors off a much higher priced M3, with 3 passengers along for the fun.

They are CARS!!! Stop stuffing them in bubbles for your ROI and drive the..."
15 likes  gr8kornholio commented on M3/C5 Vette Mashup: 1994 BMW 325i
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Congrats on having your comment noted!  They must get hundreds, or maybe even thousands a day.   I like what you said too!!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

gr8kornholio

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

New Mini over on BAT.  This one is an authentic Oz-built 1968 Morris Cooper S Mk. I 1275.   Still a wet car. 

Barring any unforeseen drama (and I don't think there will be any - the car looks to be without issues other than normal wear), I think this will go up to $23K or so.  Maybe higher.   

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-morris-mini-cooper-s/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

It's my upgraded twin!!   4.gif

MiniDave

Did you see the yellow Dart too?   4.gif
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 21, 2017, 07:55:49 PM
Another Mini on BAT.   Unlike the recent Minis that were Reserve Not Met, this one is No Reserve, so it will be sold. 

Looks to be pretty nice and sorted.  It's a German market 1980 Mini that's had a 1275 installed along with Cooper S discs. 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mini-mini-special-mkii/

My guess is this will sell for $14K or so.  Maybe more.

Lot's of last minute bidding on this sharp Mini.  Sold for $16,500. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

I think that was a fair deal for all involved, I invited him to join our little community here, I hope that's not against the BaT rules and that we see some new members out of the little plug.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Here's a classic Mini for sale near Dallas.   It comes with a 'story' but seems nice enough.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/6099893863.html
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on April 28, 2017, 02:44:28 PM
I think that was a fair deal for all involved, I invited him to join our little community here, I hope that's not against the BaT rules and that we see some new members out of the little plug.

I think it's great idea.  Not like with MiniGuy who was self-promoting for profit in his comments a little while ago.  (and I notice he's kept his record not wining a BAT auction by bidding on a couple more classic Minis there  but dropping out way, way early)
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Quote from: BruceK on April 28, 2017, 03:35:28 PM
Here's a classic Mini for sale near Dallas.   It comes with a 'story' but seems nice enough.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/sdf/cto/6099893863.html

1990 MPI?????

I don't think so Tim.......still a great looking car, especially if you can get it registered.

Still, a left drive MPi has to be a rare bird....in any country!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Complete with air-bag steering wheel and headlight leveling switch.

Still, a nice 1999 Mini-40 at that price.

BruceK

Still not technically legal, so there is always the theorical possibility of having it seized and crushed.  Plus, I still wonder how these re-vin cars will be viewed in the future.    Assuming at some point in the future these will be revered as Mk. I Minis are today.  Will it 'count' as a Mini 40 if it's pretending to be a 1990 and that's what the title says?    Or will real Mini 40 models (and other special editions) that have the correct provenance be the only ones that have value?
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Bruce,

All valid points.  Hopefully we'll be around to see what some of the answers turn out to be.

MiniDave

Well, if they don't bring all the money - there'll be a nice MPi for a more affordable price!  77.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah good point.  We are not buying our Minis as investments.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The only issue I have with the fuel injected Minis is they are difficult to diagnose fuel & ignition problems.  They are not OBD-I or OBD-II, and the reader for them is in limited supply.  Also, the various sensors and ECUs are mostly NLA.  There was only one place in the UK able to service the ECUs when I converted the Tahiti Blue Mini to carb.  (The MAP sensor is built into the ECU.)

MiniDave

Well, you would know Michael after dealing with your SPi.....like most FI systems, either they work perfectly or not at all!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 26, 2017, 10:15:51 AM
New Mini over on BAT.  This one is an authentic Oz-built 1968 Morris Cooper S Mk. I 1275.   Still a wet car. 

Barring any unforeseen drama (and I don't think there will be any - the car looks to be without issues other than normal wear), I think this will go up to $23K or so.  Maybe higher.   

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-morris-mini-cooper-s/

Reserve Not Met at $27K.     I wonder what the Seller thinks it is worth.   He seemed just a little umm... selective in what photos he'd show, and which comments to respond to during the auction (kinda missed disclosing the huge floor dent until pressed).  And he never did talk about the rust issue in the driver's floor board.   
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

I'm thinking his reserve was probably based off the previous mini cooper s cars that sold.  Only problem was his wasn't "original" anymore.  Been painted, added cheep flares, and probably the worse was the original wheels which seem impossible to find.  The current collector trend is stupid money, but it has to be all original. like period.  Of course I'm over here like  8.gif  50.gif whatever, I'm driving mine  71.gif

BruceK

BAT has two 1960s Minis at auction now:

First is an authentic Mk. II Cooper S.     I think this will go for somewhere around $25K but IMO it could be higher if it had no black wheel arches and Cooper S wheels.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-morris-mk2-mini-cooper/

Then they have a Mini Traveller with wood.   My guesstimate for this Mini is about $22K in an unusual color with reverse Cooper S steel wheels.   Maybe more but it's still got drum brakes which will hurt it a little I think (what? did they run out of money when restoring the car?).   

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-morris-morris-minor-traveler/

So much depends on responsive and knowledgeable sellers on BAT.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

The color on the Traveler may be one of those Australia or New Zealand specific colors not on the usual UK market cars.

At least it has twin leading shoe front drums versus the singles.

BruceK

Quote from: MPlayle on May 11, 2017, 06:26:00 PM
The color on the Traveler may be one of those Australia or New Zealand specific colors not on the usual UK market cars.

At least it has twin leading shoe front drums versus the singles.
I think that is the exact color Mark was considering painting his Mini from Oz.   I'm sure he'll jump in and confirm or deny.

About that Mk. II Cooper S on BAT, I first looked at the photos on my phone, but now that I've seen them on my laptop, I'm not so sure about that car getting into the $20s.   Looks like some ham-fisted bodywork on the sills if I'm seeing things correctly. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

It states that it was restored in New Zealand.  Bruce that color is more yellow than fiesta yellow, which is actually more green.  I like them both, but they both seem to have some "well why'd you do that on them"  We shall see.

It is funny reading about "restorations" on cars for sale on BaT.  The Alfa GTV, which I really love the shape of, states this in the description "The bare-metal repaint carried out in 2015 reportedly used little filler," followed at the end of the paragraph by "Exterior flaws are listed as minor bubbling on the left rocker panel and some surface rust around the battery tray area."

How can you do a bare metal repaint 2 years ago and already have bubbling on a rocker panel and rust in the battery tray?  Obviously you didn't take the entire car to bare metal, or your paint shop SUCKS!  I don't get it.

Jimini II

The Woody on BAT is running a 1275 not sure why they did not use discs on the build. The MK II Cooper is not an S just a standard Cooper with a 1380 in it. Both cars are decent but I do not think they are the big money cars you normally see on BAT but who knows i have seen basic stuff do silly money on there.