Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPlayle

I do not know when it will go live yet.  They are still working on the write-up.  I am expecting the draft of the write-up sometime next week for approving.  Then I should get an idea of when it will go live.

They did give me the reserve I wanted - right at my break-even (which is in the range that most Citroen 2CVs have been going for on BaT).  I also have the options of removing the reserve early and considering the high bid if it goes RNM.

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on September 16, 2020, 01:30:32 PM
Malcolm,

I did just get the Burton this year (bought it in December, but it did not ship until April and arrived in May).  With the economy the way it is and the oil & gas industry continuing to slump, I am having to give up the extra toys to protect finances.

I am keeping the red Saloon you helped me with last November.

Smart move on protecting your finances.
Keeping the Mini too as I don't see their prices going down anytime soon.
Looking at Mini prices lately and remembering all the ones I have sold over the years I am guessing it would take around $3k to $5k more to buy any one of them back.

MiniDave

Currently there is a 2021 MINI GPS for sale on BaT with only 32 miles on it. So.......why?

Speculator looking for a big payday? Seems unlikely as there are a number of them on dealer's lots currently......

Somebody forgot to get the wife's OK before they bought it?

Too fast?

Too slow?

Thought it had a manual gearbox when ordered? (they're all 8 speed autos with paddle shifters)

Since it's titled, taxed and tagged and has to be sold as a used car, do you think they'll even break even?

Claims he's not a flipper (even tho he's sold millions of dollars of cars on BaT), says he bought it for the wife and it was "too much car for her" and she won't drive it. I call BS on that story, but who knows - he might be telling the truth. "Reserve is just below MSRP so someone can get a good deal" yeah, right.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2021-mini-cooper-john-cooper-works-gp/
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: MiniDave on September 19, 2020, 01:10:57 PM
Currently there is a 2021 MINI GPS for sale on BaT with only 32 miles on it.

Thought it had a manual gearbox when ordered? (they're all 8 speed autos with paddle shifters)

Boo.  Hiss.   :-[
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

You left pedal pushers give me a pain..... ::)

There is nothing inherently better about a stick shift car today, it's only personal preference. All this crap about more driver involvement, better feel for what the car is doing and so on is just that - crap. It's just personal preference.

You all are welcome to it (I have my share of pedal cars too, you know) but stop trying to make like it's some conspiracy to take away all the performance or some such nonsense.

It's just personal preference......and stop with the boo hiss every time someone mentions their car is an automatic.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

You apologists for automatic transmissions give me a pain too.  ;D     

You read an awful lot into a Boo and a Hiss.  I said nothing about driver involvement, performance, or anything else. 

Slushboxes are not for everyone.  Especially me.  My point was that they should at least offer a manual transmission and not exclusively an automatic.  Especially on the top-of-the-line fun version of the MINI.    Fun being the operative word.  Give people the manual option for their personal preference for what they consider fun.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Yep.  Stick and pedal is great for fun driving and more driver involvement.

Auto/paddle is for ease of use and max speed.  Still requires envolvement with the paddles.

My philosophy on auto boxes changed mightily driving the F430 Scuderia on a track.  I wouldn't have accelerated as fast hit the speeds I did or hit the apex's like I did if I was worried about pushing a third pedal and moving a stick around.  Flicking a paddle for micro second shifts made the experience sooo much more enjoyable.  Now if this was my back road enjoy a drive car, yes I'd love a manual option. 

So guess I'm with Bruce.  There should be a manual option.  Then again in this time and age they are probably only losing a fraction of a percent of business by not doing so.  So pretty sure the bean counters have mixed it.

Want an analog car, get classic analog car.  Plenty of after market stuff out there to make any classic as if not more reliable than a new car. 

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

MiniDave

Not the first time you've boo'd and hiss'd about the automatic.

I'm told they didn't have a manual available that would take the HP and torque, not that they didn't want to offer it - tho you can't even buy a manual on most "fun, sporty" cars these days, let alone sedans and such.

But I don't know why you'd care - it's not an R53, you're not going to buy one at any rate - even if it did have a stick.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

I read an article a long while back that discussed the differences in styles of transmissions.  It basically broke them down into 3 categories: Manual, regular automatic, and performance automatic and two "eras" for each category: older and modern.

It started with a "historical" perspective of manual transmissions (older and modern) being superior to the older, standard automatics (pre-performance category).  It pointed out that there has been more limited advancements to manual transmissions over time, such that modern automatics (both regular and performance) now surpass manual transmissions.

For me, I seem to not quite manage the mental adaptation required to manage the paddle shift types.  I prefer manuals purely for the "fun" factor gr8kornholio mentioned.  After reading the article, I stopped deceiving myself about manual transmissions being better than either style of modern transmission.  Especially when you consider most manuals stop at 6-speed setups and modern autos go to 8-speed and 10-speed options in performance cars and trucks.

Scargo

Back on Sept. 5, I reported here that the Mini & a half had been listed on Mania for $22K.

When I checked their classifieds yesterday, I noticed it had been dropped to $21K. Today it's down to $20k.

I still think he needs to ditch the trailer.

MiniDave

I offered to buy the trailer from him, never got a response.... 8.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Scargo

I'll take the bar stools, as I could use some kindling.

MPlayle

I submitted the Mini Marcos to BaT yesterday to see about selling it there.  They have accepted it for listing.  Now begins the wait while they put that together.  I'll let folks know when it is supposed to go live.

I am still waiting to find out the "live" date on the Burton as well.  They are supposed to be finishing up the listing draft on it this week.

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on September 22, 2020, 06:49:16 AM
I offered to buy the trailer from him, never got a response.... 8.gif

There is a guy on FB in Arizona selling his Mini trailer as he sold the van that was pulling it.
I can't remember his name but Nate Kupla works on his Mini's, Michael something.

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on September 15, 2020, 11:28:27 AM
MiniGuy's whole site has been down for just over 3 weeks.  He has also not responded to calls or emails for the same amount of time.

The ads he had posted for a couple cities on CraigsList seem to be gone.  The ad he posted for my Marcos on Mini Mania is still up.

I have my Burton accepted for listing on BaT.  I will see how that goes and may put the Mini Marcos up there as well since MiniGuy has gone missing.

I have heard that the State of CA (not sure which department or office) has closed Michael Lewis's operation/website down completely.

MiniDave

I'm not desperate to buy one.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

I think it was cheap but was not ready to go.
I don't blame you i have thought about one but ended up getting a Coleman one that weighs just 180lbs and can be parked upright.

BruceK

Quote from: Jimini II on September 22, 2020, 04:51:03 PM
MiniGuy's whole site has been down for just over 3 weeks.  He has also not responded to calls or emails for the same amount of time.

The ads he had posted for a couple cities on CraigsList seem to be gone.  The ad he posted for my Marcos on Mini Mania is still up.

I have my Burton accepted for listing on BaT.  I will see how that goes and may put the Mini Marcos up there as well since MiniGuy has gone missing.

I have heard that the State of CA (not sure which department or office) has closed Michael Lewis's operation/website down completely.

That sounds pretty serious. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

94touring

Quote from: BruceK on September 22, 2020, 07:38:36 PM

I wonder what a guy has to do to have the state take your business away 🤔

cstudep

Quote from: 94touring on September 23, 2020, 05:28:02 AM

In California? Probably not much these days.

MiniDave

What business?

His was not a business as far as the state was concerned - he didn't have a dealer's lic any more, he doesn't buy and sell anything....I don't understand what he did that was wrong either.....but I'm sure there were laws in there someplace that he ran afoul of.

We have no factual information, so until we do we can't judge either him or the state.

I understand the guy with the light blue car with the trailer not wanting to take $11K for it - whether it's worth $20K remains to be seen, I don't remember all the specifics of the car, but it seemed like it was worth more than $11k - I wonder why it didn't attract more bids? I also offered to buy the trailer during the auction, just in case the bidders didn't want it. No one said anything about it to me after that.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Quote from: cstudep on September 23, 2020, 05:32:27 AM
Quote from: 94touring on September 23, 2020, 05:28:02 AM

In California? Probably not much these days.

Be a salon owner that Pelosi visits?  Lol

MiniDave

No idea what that comment means..... 8.gif

The 35 mile 2021 GP that's for sale on BaT has almost reached what the sticker for a new one is.....I wonder if it will go over, considering there are new cars for sale at the dealerships for sticker (or maybe less?) and of course, you have to add the BaT 5% premium too.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

California has all the salons shut down, but then Pelosi was exposed for going to one sans mask, and the owner last I heard had to shut down.  Maybe Pelosi made a visit to buy a car from Miniguy.

BruceK

Good Morning!  Sunday Morning!
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S