Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Quote from: gr8kornholio on April 07, 2017, 04:46:11 PM
For $49 I'm tempted to list mine.  Just for fun and to learn about it from all the experts.  And hey if it sells for the reserve I'll find another.   ;D

What reserve would you put on it?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

gr8kornholio

Probably $20K.  Of course, every time I drive it the thought of selling it fades quickly and I got my box of parts from minisport yesterday so all excited. 

Was mainly thinking of testing the waters to see potential value and get all the good and bad opinions about it. 

Was a little more serious while that Aussie Clubman was for sale on ebay, but it's gone now.   
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

BruceK

Quote from: BruceK on April 07, 2017, 07:28:59 AM
The auction for the Canadian Mini is drying up - little interest for the last couple of days not since it became clear the seller was either a liar or stupid regarding not knowing the actual engine size and details about the car.  They also messed up on listing the correct year the car is titled.   It feels sloppy all around.   

I've got a feeling it will end up reserve not met and the seller just wants this auction to disappear as soon as possible.

Reserve not Met at $9100.    And plenty of examples of how not to sell a car on BAT in that single auction.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Willie_B

That would be about the right price for that car. Won't go that high again if relisted there.

MiniDave

Seller indicates he's "willing to talk" to prospective buyers after the no sale.......I'll bet his reserve was $10K

Interesting comments on the Sterling SLi for sale - the P+A dealer I worked for in the later 80's-early 90's sold these, and they were truly hard for me to sell. We had early tan leather cars that the leather would turn green in the Ca sun, electrical problems that simply would not go away and trim bits that fell off, came unglued, chrome that flaked off etc etc. Even the Honda drivetrains weren't exactly fool proof.......when I had a customer indicate an interest - if I couldn't steer them towards an Audi, I would somewhat reluctantly go ahead, but I think I only sold a very few of them.

The same dealer also sold Range Rovers from their 87 intro, and they were a long way from reliable then too.

Jedduh, I've noticed a number of cars on BaT being bought by dealerships and resold later, like this one. I also have noticed how many cars are being relisted for sale by their new owners after only a short time after purchase on BaT......makes me wonder if they're just trying to flip the car or if it was a bad purchase they're tying to quickly offload onto someone else.....

I've been giving serious consideration to selling my old Jag on there, but I don't know......of course there have been plenty of stories of people absolutely thrilled with their purchase on BaT too. Have you all been reading the story of the 23y/o who bought a Volvo 122 wagon and is driving it from New Jersey to Tijuana to eat a salad?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: Willie_B on April 10, 2017, 03:16:38 PM
That would be about the right price for that car. Won't go that high again if relisted there.

Yeah, but I think there are kind of two worlds of Mini prices.  1) the real world, and 2) the boutique world

And it was in the boutique world that the Canadian Mini originated.  The seller of the Canadian Mini apparently purchased it from a dealer who specializes in Porsches, and the car was likely bought it on a impulse buy, paying a lot more than the real world market value of the car, while remaining clueless as to what he purchased.

Like this "1967" Mini for $28K   https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/austin/mini/1901659.html

or this Mini tin wagon estate for $22K  https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/austin/mini/1744001.html 

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Bruce, I fully agree on the pricing.  Some people are so far off, but if someone is willing to give it then why not ask.

BaT is exploding and growing.  Problem with the popularity comes the scammers.  Hopefully the main BaT core crowd will keep weeding out the frivolous sellers with the intense questioning of the sellers on the auctions.  Possibly running off any future scams. 

"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jimini II

I agree that Canadian Mini auction was a joke. The seller and his rep either had not got a clue, were very evasive and did not answer simple questions and you could tell it was going to end up a no sale. It is a shame because it seems like a solid Mini that needs a few items sorting. My guess is a long way from his reserve at $9100.

BruceK

A new Mini has surfaced on BAT.  It's a Mk. I Mini with a 1275.   A little rough in some areas (the floor are solid but very beat up like somebody used them to practice hitting things with a sledgehammer), but generally it's a nice-looking car. 

My guess is that it will sell for about $14K     

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1962-austin-mini-cooper-3/
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

I'm going with the latest trend and RNM.  Considering the brief appearance by the seller and not addressing anything from the comments except for your statement of why all minis are so scrutinized. 

Looks like another highly miss-represented listing again with a hodgepodge of bits and pieces from several years and inaccurate numbers and paperwork.  Shame, cause from the outside it looks fabulous. 

MiniDave

Now that's a nice looking car, I agree it should bring good money.....especially if the seller is a little more involved than the last one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Yeah Mark, I'm going to walk back my guess of $14K.   Especially since it turns out it doesn't have disc brakes and, as you point out, the seller is mostly AWOL so far.   I think bidding will go to perhaps to $11K and it will be reserve not met at that price point.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

I just looked up the seller of this gray Mini and it's the same seller who last year sold that nonrunning, dented, but original Cooper S barn find on BAT for an absolutely stupefying $55,000. 

He obviously made a killing on that car and is probably looking to make a lot of money on this one, but this car is just not going to bring the crazy bidders.  Therefore I am almost certain it will be reserve not met. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Here's one on Craigslist.....I thought all Innocentis had the full dash?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/6085919419.html

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

No, the dashes on the earlier and plainer cars were more like the British ones. Except with Italian Veglia gauges.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MPlayle

Most of the 998 Innos (badged as "1001") had the center three gauge cluster as shown on that one.

As far as I can remember (without digging out my Mini books), it was the 1275 versions that had the 5 or 6 gauge full dash arrangements.  I think the Authi 1275's had just the 5 gauge dash.

BruceK

The natives are restless!   Among other issues, the gray Mk. I Mini currently on BAT is getting a lot of pushback about it not having a true VIN plate and relying on the FE body number as the car's ID on it's title.   This has apparently gotten under the skin of some commenters who are effectively asking BAT to call the auction off.   

The seller is keeping mostly silent.  Four days left.   Get your popcorn out...
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Just saw this on BaT.  Bruce, isn't this the one that parked next to us at Cars and Coffee the last time all three of us were there?  It's in Plano.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-honda-city-turbo-ii/

BruceK

No, what was parked near us was a Suzuki Alto kei car.  I've never seen a Honda City in person, but I think it is bigger than kei size.   There was one version of this Honday City that came with a folding Honda mini bike in the back for the final part of your commute! 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

gr8kornholio

Ok, wasn't sure, but now that you mention it this does look different.  Just crazy coincidence about plano.

BruceK

Well, about 1 hour left on the BAT Mini auction.    It hasn't made it to $8500 yet and the comments are generally negative with a somewhat standoffish seller, so I'm really thinking it will be reserve not met.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

MiniDave

Did not make reserve, as expected.

I tired to be positive in my last posts...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Didn't even crack $10K.   

I put a lot of that on the shoulders of the seller.   He wasn't antagonistic, but he was wasn't enthusiastic either. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

BruceK

Another Mini on BAT.   Unlike the recent Minis that were Reserve Not Met, this one is No Reserve, so it will be sold. 

Looks to be pretty nice and sorted.  It's a German market 1980 Mini that's had a 1275 installed along with Cooper S discs. 

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1980-mini-mini-special-mkii/

My guess is this will sell for $14K or so.  Maybe more.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S