Minis For Sale on BAT

Started by MiniDave, January 08, 2015, 01:41:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Stan's car was as nice as they come, this makes no sense.

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on June 01, 2020, 12:56:44 PM
See cars like the yellow Mini bring outstanding prices makes it tempting to put the Mini Marcos up on BaT.  Unfortunately, with it being as much different as it is and "kit" based, it may get panned instead of doing decent.

If i have learnt one thing from watching BaT auctions it is that you need to have a thick skin, some of the comments warranted or not are brutal especially when it comes to Mini's. Then you have to wade through the armchair experts "i thought all Cooper S's had twin fuel tanks" and various other comments.
As with all cars i sell my motto is "present to the buyer the best car you can for the money and hopefully you will have the least of complaints or negative comments".

I think the Marcos would do well on BaT Michael.

MiniDave

I agree completely....and I also think the Marcos would do well on BaT. Since they have no background on it you should be able to set a high enough reserve to make sure it's not a loss for you. Seems like there is still plenty of money being spent on BaT cars...way more than I expected.

I've been watching a few of the sales and the numbers are not dropping off like I had hoped (Expected?)
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Podcast =  currently Listening / watching  about BAT.

The smoking tire = Matt Farrah -  Randy Nonnenberg of Bring-a-Trailer!

Fair conversation about the BAT Business -  up to date 'info' and fair conversation about how the  auctions are working in this time.

Probably also available on other Podcast services.

I watch Youtube with they link somethings they discuss. Can see.

Jimini II

Quote from: MPlayle on June 01, 2020, 12:56:44 PM
See cars like the yellow Mini bring outstanding prices makes it tempting to put the Mini Marcos up on BaT.  Unfortunately, with it being as much different as it is and "kit" based, it may get panned instead of doing decent.

Also the BaT auctions attract a lot of UK and European buyers who would likely know what a Mini Marcos is which should help the bidding.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on May 30, 2020, 08:36:28 AM
A nice 998 Mini is now on BaT.  A lot of effort spent on a small displacement car. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1973-austin-mini-1000/

Well the white Mini closed today at $16,200.

BruceK

Another Mini from New Mexico is on BaT.  This one has a supercharger and a 5-speed.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mini-mk-iii/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

MiniDave

I recognize that car! I saw it in Aspen....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

It looks like a nice build with the supercharger and a 5 speed.
The only thing I dislike is the oversills, they are not the worst if installed correctly but so many are put on over rusty metal.
Judging by the rest of the car I would think they have been installed correctly.

Jimini II

Quote from: BruceK on June 08, 2020, 07:16:59 PM
Another Mini from New Mexico is on BaT.  This one has a supercharger and a 5-speed.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-mini-mk-iii/

I guess BaT pulled the auction at the owners request.
Apparently he went on a drive to shoot some video of the revs when cruising and the clutch went out.
He seems like a straight shooter as he could have let the auction run and said i need a while to replace the clutch or even worse and shipped it with a bad clutch, kudo's to him for doing the right thing.
BaT has agreed to re list it when it is fixed.

MiniDave

Bryan is a friend of mine and a member here on RestoMini.....

What happened was the big bolt in the end of the crank backed out, allowing the flywheel to move and breaking the ears off the big thick washer that keys the flywheel to the crank. I don't know yet if it damaged the end of the crank. I was hoping to hear from him about it today, but he works so he may not have gotten back to it yet.

Edit: when you look at the second pic you can clearly see the flywheel has rotated on the crank.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jimini II

Quote from: MiniDave on June 17, 2020, 05:21:14 PM
Bryan is a friend of mine and a member here on RestoMini.....

What happened was the big bolt in the end of the crank backed out, allowing the flywheel to move and breaking the ears off the big thick washer that keys the flywheel to the crank. I don't know yet if it damaged the end of the crank. I was hoping to hear from him about it today, but he works so he may not have gotten back to it yet.

Edit: when you look at the second pic you can clearly see the flywheel has rotated on the crank.

Ouch !!! That does not look good.
Hopefully he has no damage on the crank taper.

MiniDave

He said he was hoping to try and get the flywheel off Friday evening, but this being Father's day weekend he might not get to it till next week. He ordered the puller and is waiting for it to come in too....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Thats a huge bummer .!  bad timing too / or good timing however you look at it.    i

I would assume there is a high risk of the crank spun inside the taper and could cause gauling.... hopefully not too rough. atleast its still all in place and the flywheel clutch didnt walk off the crank taper..

MiniDave

Yeah, it's clearly turned, what we don't know is if it spun or moved back and forth....he's thinking (hoping?) that it only moved this much when the starter kicked it over.

I think if that were the case it would be loose on the shaft - and it's not.

Hope for the best - but plan for the worst.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

SomethingNew71

Ouch man that's a bummer. I got nervous about this on my most recent assembly on my engine and decided to lock that tabs down and also use red locktite on the bolt. I pity the next person who has to remove that bolt on my engine....

MiniDave

Do you have your car running now? Do you have a new video yet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

SomethingNew71

Quote from: MiniDave on June 18, 2020, 10:18:04 AM
Do you have your car running now? Do you have a new video yet?

I was waiting on some idler shims because I couldn't find the same size gasket I had before.  ::)

But otherwise, its mostly back together and will likely be back in its home this weekend. Unfortunately, I am waiting on a few bits from MED that will hold it up a tad from being started but no major hiccups.  77.gif

BruceK

Two more Minis are now on BaT.    Both have been on BaT before.   Flipper City?

A nice looking Mk. I Mini, but without any underbody shots (does the seller think nobody will ask for them?)   Looking at the receipts shown for work, it appears the seller may not exactly be a car person.  Paid somebody to replace a headlight?!

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1960-morris-mini-minor-3/

And a Mk. III VTEC Mini.  Those headlights belong a on Jeep with feestooned with Monster Energy drink stickers.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1974-austin-mini-2/

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

Both of these cars closed with really strong bids last time i think in the low $20k's.
The 60 has had a significant amount of maintenance done to it since it was purchased and was for sale for $29k on another site, apparently he is using the 2016 auction pictures for the underside as he has only done 500 miles in four years.
The Vtec is a decent build but the interior is not everyone's cup of tea but easily remedied, all the hard work has been done.

MPlayle

The 60 is also a "bitsa" Mini.

It has a much later, large volume gas tank.  It is missing the floor starter button.  It has a MK-II/III turn signal stalk/horn button, MK-II style boss buttons on the door handles, and the shift gator is aftermarket.

Those are the things that jump out at me from scanning through the pictures.

Still, a nice car.

mascher

It's probably better to say it's a 1960 body shell with few orignal parts attached.
Kelley

Quote from: MPlayle on June 19, 2020, 07:45:20 AMThe 60 is also a "bitsa" Mini.

It has a much later, large volume gas tank.  It is missing the floor starter button.  It has a MK-II/III turn signal stalk/horn button, MK-II style boss buttons on the door handles, and the shift gator is aftermarket.

Those are the things that jump out at me from scanning through the pictures.

Still, a nice car.

BruceK

The VTEC Mini is not getting much love so far.   Less than 3 days left and it is only bid to $5600.

The clean 1960 Mini however is up to almost $19K, also with just 2 days left.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S

Jimini II

The Vtec still not getting much love sitting at $16k with less than one hour to go, it previously sold for $26.5k so it may be a RNM i am guessing.

The 60 Mini closed at $24k the seller lowered his reserve in the last hour smart move on his part.
Considering he paid $21,750 shipped it from Florida to California and then spent $10k on it and only doing 500 miles in 4 years i am guessing that was a tough one decision wise.

MiniDave

Yeah, I find it hard to believe his reasoning on the '60, the wife wanted one "all her life", it was to be her run around town have fun car and she never drove it? Or more likely, drove it once and got intimidated by SUVs and trucks bearing down on her and got scared and parked it. At any rate, ya gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad