1980 Clubman Estate

Started by MiniDave, January 03, 2015, 01:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniDave

Yes....well, I have a label maker and I'm not afraid to use it!   ;D

Actually, that's for me as much as anything, a week after running the wires I can't remember what they're for unless I label them!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

We've had high 90's temps the last few weeks and while the wife's Audi is laid up waiting for parts Buzz has been my DD, this has given me plenty of opportunity to check out how my heater core/extra radiator will handle the heat and so far it's been a rousing success. I haven't gone thru the extremes that Willie B did on his trip to BC, but I'm convinced it would handle it just fine.....

I think Buzz is going to be fine..........at last!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I see all the pics I linked to in this thread from Facebook are gone, even tho they're still on my Facebook page, so I'll go thru and post them up directly to the site - sorry bout that, I didn't know Facebook would break the links like that after a period of time.

Nothing more frustrating than pictures that disappear from a thread.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I do have a free gallery here that you can mass upload to.  They will never disappear!

MiniDave

OK, thanks - that will make it easier to insert them chronologically in the narrative - thanks again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

I put in a new speedo cable, but first I had to make a tool to get the transmission end nut loose. The old cable worked OK but it uses a plastic end that had a tab to lock it in place - said tab was broken off and gone so I was using a screw clamp to hold it in place. Now it's correct.....I also got one longer than normal so I could run it any which way I wanted.....getting the firewall grommet out and back in was a royal PITA.

I'm trying to get my "Hot Spark" unit to work so I can eliminate the points set.....no joy yet on that. I'm also going to change the oil so I should be good to go on our trip next month.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

I have a new speedo cable to put on my car and need some kind of tool to reach the bottom.  Why I didn't do it when I had the subframe lowered is anyone's guess.   :-[

MiniDave

Did you see this tool I made? It was pretty simple to make and worked a treat!

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?topic=832.0

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Another thing off the list.......in the never ending quest to rid Buzz of the reason for his name, I found and fixed yet another annoying rattle - this one turned out to be the check straps for the rear doors. The check straps have a rubber bump stop at the end that is composed of several layers of rubber, then a washer and a rivet to hold the whole mess together. Over the years the rubber has dried out and shrunk slightly, so that washer was able to vibrate creating one hell of a racket! New ones you say? Unavailable according to all the usual suspects - front door check straps - sure, all day - but these are different.

My fix? A little clear silicone squirted into the gaps between the strap and the washer and rubber stopper. Ahhhhhh........it's so quiet now!  ;D

Still several more to find and fix but I feel like I've really made progress.....between putting screws and bolts back in that were left out and tightening things left loose, adjusting things that were hitting where they shouldn't and so on - buzz may actually lose the reason for his nickname once and for all!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

And yet another one ticked off the list:

When I first put the engine together in the spring/summer of 2014 I had bought a points elimination kit (like Pertronix but 1/2 the cost) from a company called Hot Spark in Austin, Tx. I put it in but never could get it to work,, so it went back in the box and I put points in which worked perfectly for the next year and a half, In the meantime I sent the old one back and they sent me a new kit, a few days ago I decided to give it another shot.

I installed the new kit just like before, but this time when I turned the key it fired right off! I got out the old timing light and set the timing and this weekend drove Buzz on about a 250 mile run with the KC Mini Club, Buzz has never seemed smoother!

I'm going to like not having to ever fuss with points again.....

http://www.hot-spark.com/

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

After going pointless on my 998 I'd never go back.  Glad you got it to work!

MiniDave

Still don't understand why I had to change plugs after so few miles, but if I have to do it again I'll know it's not the points/coil at least. If I have to change plugs again shortly, what brand do you all use?

I put Champion N9Y in the last couple of times as that's what was in it.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MiniDave

Do you remember what number?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

BP6S      BPR6S is more readily available however

MiniDave

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

MPlayle

MiniDave

Headed home to Texas, with a smile on his face!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

MiniDave

He made me an offer I couldn't refuse!   ;D

The happy new owner.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MiniDave

Before he left with the car he handed me a paint pen and insisted I do this.......I was rather touched......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

Time to dust off the Jag and get it ready to drive.

MPlayle

So, where in Texas is it headed?

MiniDave

Quote from: Willie_B on March 05, 2016, 07:39:22 AM
Time to dust off the Jag and get it ready to drive.

Yep!

I also have a considerable amount of deferred maintenance to do on the Audi and 2009 Clubby.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad