The drunk thread

Started by 94touring, December 28, 2014, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 03, 2017, 03:51:51 PM
Coming out of retirement soon. Not sure how to come out of the gate. So many options.

Thinking of hitting little micro brewery on Friday after work with a growler.

Or maybe breaking into this bottle of 21 year old Irish Whisky I have, sitting on back patio and enjoying a nice evening.

Decisions.

I've said it before but I'll throw out a reminder:

Fast on Friday and GIVE BLOOD.

Then a growler of anything over 10%.

4.gif

Jims5543

I hit pay dirt Friday at Whole Foods!

I literally looked at these bottles on the shelf saw the price was actually sane, I have seen these go for $16-$20 a bottle. I looked around at the other men in the store ready to fight them if I had to, then with a poked face, put every damn last one of them in the shopping kart.

I text my buddy Kevin a pic he craps his pants and begs me to sell him some.  Hmmm... maybe I should double the price and then mine are free.   ;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Jims5543

As I was canceling my membership at Flaviar declaring mission accomplished, I have amassed an amazing collection of fantastic Whiskeys and Scotch's.  I have about 8-10 unopened bottles just waiting for the right moments / guests / events to break into them. 

My parents are coming for a visit in a couple of weeks, my dad loves Kentucky Whiskey, I purchased a couple for him as gifts. I am now his favorite son. ;D 

I am also taking my Bushmills on a road trip in 2 weeks with my car buddy Kevin as we take a quick road trips with the better halfs.  Kevin and I are anxious to get into that one. Between that and the 120 IPA's we are in for some fun times.

I even surprised Mrs.5543 with some nice rums and vodka's. I saw I had not claimed a sample pack from them, so I ordered on called "The Fighting Irish"  seemed fitting since I am heading there for vacation soon.

So back to this fun little sample pack. Which is free with your quarterly membership.

The 3 samples were Powers, Hyde (6yo) and Connemara (12yo)

Even comes with a nice coaster to keep.

I LOVED the Powers and want more now.  The Hyde was just as good but the Cannemara I did not like too much, it was more of a really peaty Scotch which I am not a fan of yet, maybe I will acquire a taste for it like I did with IPA's.  I remember thinking IPA's sucked at first.

Funny story, I was sipping the Powers the other night when my buddy called me, he is the guy that covers for me when I go on vacation. We were discussing that and he went wild about Ireland, he tells me he has a great Irish friend that only drinks... you guessed it, Powers!! I laugh and tell him I have it in a glass at that moment.  He went on to tell me his friend HATED Jameson and it was considered garbage in Ireland, I commented I already love these people. ;D
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Merlin

Did you cancel your subscription? I want to take over payments as they have a waiting list right now. I have a couple of good ones I like, but could use a little broadening.

Engineering the Impossible

Jims5543

Quote from: Merlin on May 05, 2017, 10:57:58 AM
Did you cancel your subscription? I want to take over payments as they have a waiting list right now. I have a couple of good ones I like, but could use a little broadening.

Email me and I can invite you in.

I never cancelled, I am just enjoying the sample boxes now and when something jumps out at me I buy it. Nothing like I was doing, now that my liquor cabinet is stocked to my liking I am not on a mad tear anymore.

Jims5543

Powers arrived today at office.  I grabbed 2 bottles so I can give one to my friend Jon who is going to be covering for me in a few weeks when I head off to Ireland.

Now its time to do some... er.. research.. for my trip.  ;D

MiniDave

Are you going to IMM 2017 in Ireland? It's on the same time as you're trip......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Went to my favorite place with sour beers last night.  The key lime pie was the winner.

Jims5543

Not going to be there at the same time, I am going in early June.

Plus the moment I land in Dublin I am heading straight to Belfast and spending most of my time in the North of Ireland touring that region.  That event is at the opposite coast from me.

That would have been awesome though.

I hope to see some Minis while I am there. 

I rented a VW Passat diesel with a 6 speed manual. Looking forward to driving on the proper side of the road for a week.

I will end up in Dublin 2 days before I leave and plan on touring the city as mush as I can, I found out John Lane Distillery is in Dublin so I am hoping to visit there.

We have one wish to stay in a castle on evening.  As cliche and touristy as it sounds we think it will be fun.  The rest of the time we are there we have no reservations anywhere, we are winging it and hoping we find accommodations (inns B&B) wherever we end up. We have a loose itinerary / map of places we want to see but are very open to wander off on a tangent if suggested by a local and do or see whatever.

I have some very close friends that are off the boat Irish both from the North of Ireland.  Part of the influence on me going to the terrorist side of the country.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on May 10, 2017, 01:35:31 PM
Went to my favorite place with sour beers last night.  The key lime pie was the winner.

I met up with Kevin and his cousin on Monday night for beers, his cousin is visiting from Upstate NY. super chill and fun guy to sit at a bar and bullshit with. He was supposed to be on our Snowmobile trip but had other plans conflicting. He would have made that trip 100X more fun. Super personable and great guy.

We started at our Beer Mug Club pub. Conversation turned to my having to stop off at the Waterfront restaurant I surveyed to take some pictures of a wall for the Flood Insurance underwriter.  Next thing I know we are paying our tab and moving there for the evening.

We sat at the bar steps from the water for a couple of hours and caught up with each other. Also mixed it up with the sloppy drunk locals in there.

View when we arrived:

View when we left LOL!!:

At the bar:

Sunset:

Jims5543

Jims5543

My customers this week make me like this.

Mudhen

:D

We drove past the Maine Beer Company brewery the other day so I grabbed a few bottles for home.  Celebrated with a couple Lunch's the other night!  4.gif

And now I'm dying to have one but have a cub scout hike tonight - they generally frown on showing up smelling like booze!   :(

Jims5543

Just tell them that is how you always smell.

Nice pint glass, where you buy that one from.  ;D

I gotta take a pic and post it alongside one of your first pics in this thread maybe in a little bit.

94touring

Was back at Genesee last week.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on May 17, 2017, 01:43:59 PM
Just tell them that is how you always smell.

Nice pint glass, where you buy that one from.  ;D

I gotta take a pic and post it alongside one of your first pics in this thread maybe in a little bit.

LOL, bastidge!   :D

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on December 30, 2014, 06:55:17 PM

Brew Free or Die.

Gotta admit I love strong IPAs, especially on an empty stomach.  Only thing better is giving blood before...

I just found this in my local 7-11 last week, and thought I saw it somewhere.  Seems it was you!!!

This is my lunch at 3:00 today, I never had time for breakfast nor lunch so at 3 I grabbed a Whenever Bar and a IPA out of the fridge here at the office.  FML.

I am supposed to meet up with Kev tonight for beers and see his new E30, I may have to pass, too much to do and too tired.  FML some more.

Jims5543

Where to put this... hmmm... random photos, pics from celphone?  Hell, Drunk thread it is.

Doing some research tonight. Well actually checking drafting, but research at the same time.

I was reading up last night on Bloody Sunday, since we will be in LondonDerry (Derry) on our trip to Ireland and I would like to stop by the ancient walls and Bloody Sunday memorial.

I was a huge U2 fan in the early 80's not to get all Patrick Bateman on you all and wax poetic about U2. Lets say I owned the first 3 albums, Boy, October and War.  As Unforgettable Fire was released my love for the band was waning, as it was no longer a edgy alternative rock band and was turning into a hip yuppie band. By Joshua Tree I was gone.

I probably watch the Sunday Bloody Sunday video 100's of times in the 80's on MTV. The magnitude of the video and the song never hit me until now. As a stoopid kid I never bothered to learn what the political message was in their songs, I just liked their sound, their rawness.

I'll let myself out.

Jims5543

I remember someone telling me a story when I was young, it was about a man who was offered an orange, it was pretty special that orange because where this man lived you could not get oranges, so this was an opportunity to taste something rare and possibly never get to taste it again.

The man declined the Orange for that very reason, he did not want to have something that he would crave and never be able to have again.

Bushmills has done this to me, I almost wish I had never cracked open the bottle.  It is so smooth with an amazing aftertaste, which I am forgetting what it had hints of, more homework!!

I am not sure I would reach for anything else to have until this thing is empty. The Powers is right up there, this Bushmills is just on another level and I never ever thought I would be a whisky snob. If you told me that 5 years ago I would have laughed at you.

I am very much looking forward to visiting the distillery next month. I want to give everyone there hugs.

94touring

I was waiting for the part where the guy gets scurvy, but you just like bushmills that much.

Jims5543

Got these today. I am ready to bring back some whiskey from my travels.

94touring

Jims5543

This was a bittersweet moment. The last two servings from a remarkable 21 year old Whiskey.

The saving grace here, it was July 4th and my 23 yo son enjoyed finishing the bottle with me.

This past Monday was a special day, i got my bevy of Irish gold. 2 I have had in Ireland 1 I cannot wait to try, having sampled the 12 y/o Bushmills and killing a bottle of 21 y/o I am curious to see how the 16 shapes up.

Wait there is more!! I got hold of the holy grail of Whiskey!! Pappy Van Winkle 23 yo Family reserve!!

Sadly it is only 2 finger worth which I promised my friend Kevin he could enjoy with me.  I finally get to see what the big fuckin deal is over this damn Pappy's.

I am not opening up until October when Kevin and I (with better halves) will go to Tampa to do a pilgrimage to Berns Steakhouse. I will have some more Bushmills 21 yo on hand for a taste comparison.

For those counting my dollars.

The AC went out on my rental office 2 weeks ago. For those unacquainted with commercial rentals. Typically the HVAC is on you, it is your responsibility to service it and replace as needed. My 40 year old AC quit 2 weeks ago. I had to purchase $500 for a  portable AC unit and nice fan to move cool air from room to room, then bring my 12K window unit from home in order to keep my office at a nice cool 82 degrees. Wooo!!

Then the new AC was installed on my dime.. $3,000 in AC for a RENTAL = money thrown away!!

My booze habit for the last 5 years cannot compare to what I spend in 2 weeks on AC.

Thank god for Whiskey!

gr8kornholio

That 16 year Bushmills is Amazing.  It is one of the best Whiskey/Scotch/Bourbons I've ever had.  Smooth with lots of different flavors.  Enjoy it.
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.