The drunk thread

Started by 94touring, December 28, 2014, 10:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

We use the growler term pretty loosely here.  I have growlers from about 3 different breweries. 2 have flip tops the others have screw tops which sucks because you do not want to leave them on the bottle when storing empty and you know what that leads to.  Lost screw tops.

Good idea hitting up a brewing supply store. I have one nearby too, I will have to remember that in case my rubber seals go.

I broke the seal on the Nikka Whiskey last night and feel like it is more of a scotch than a whiskey. It was good but it had more of a earthy and smokey scotch taste to me.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Interesting...I throw my tops away when I'm done with the beer.  The breweries up here always give you a new one...

John Gervais

So, the Nikka is earthy & smokey, éh?  Sounds like I need to buy a bottle and some tobacco for the pipe or some cigars to go with it.

The variety of beverages reviewed in this thread has really made me realize that I really should drink more.
- Pave the Bay -

Mudhen

Quote from: John Gervais on September 23, 2016, 01:55:00 PM
So, the Nikka is earthy & smokey, éh?  Sounds like I need to buy a bottle and some tobacco for the pipe or some cigars to go with it.

The variety of beverages reviewed in this thread has really made me realize that I really should drink more.

:D

Me too!  (and I haven't had a cigar in a few months...not sure what I've been doing with myself lately...)

Jims5543

The Whiskey fairy (Fed Ex guy) arrived today.

I am supposed to be going dry until T-day, LOL!!  Fat chance.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniGene

I think it was Mitch Hedberg that once said, "I like the FedEx guy because he's a drug dealer and doesn't know it."

John Gervais

Wow, I just notice that we've got similar fans!
- Pave the Bay -

Jims5543

John, I love that fan, I bought a vintage one a while back and still have it but it is so noisy this thing is silent and throws some air.

Funny, when something hits close to home it really effects you.

My BIL at 44 years old had chest pains on Monday October 3rd.  The 3 weeks prior to that, he threw 3 Pallets of sod in his backyard, replaced a back door on his house, and re-stuccoed the area around it. He also filled in a hole where an above ground pool used to be half sunk in.

He gets to a commercial job site and has to report to the control room which is 5 stories up and the only way to get there is by stairs. He gets up 3 stories and gets the chest pains. Goes back down and calls his doc. Explains what is going on and how it is burning and running down his arm. Doc tells him to go straight to a hospital emergency room.

My BIL being the badass that he is, drives 3 hours home and goes to one by his house. This would be a huge mistake, the Hospital he was near was a top rated hospital in the nation Tampa General. The one he drove to is so low we do not discuss its ranking.

Remember, he drove 3 hours, walked in and got checked out.

They told him his arteries were 90% blocked and he needed quadruple bypass.

They messed it up.

He is now in line for a heart transplant and cannot even walk without a defibrillator vest on.

Now, all that told, I do not smoke he has since he was 16, I am not overweight, he is/was about 80 lbs overweight. I do not travel for a living and eat healthy home made meals most of the time, he travels for a living and eats out 3X a day.  I exercise, lift weights, some cardio here and there and I am very active.  He does not know what the inside of a gym looks like.

All of that and Mrs5543 thinks I am next.  Which is BS, but to keep the peace I pulled back huge on the drinking. Maybe 1 beer when we are out on the weekend. And maybe a beer here and there during the week but no more than 1 and not nightly.

From time to time I go dry, there are no shakes, no amazing cravings or inability to function due to lack of booze. I do come from a long like of professional drinkers (Alcoholics) so I like to turn off the tap here and there to make sure I am not an addict. 

I do LOVE craft beers and think it is fun to find new breweries and try their interpretations of different beers. I love a good whiskey too and have been enjoying the different flavors of brands I never heard of.  I cannot see myself cutting that out completely ever.

For now, I am appeasing the wife, who is forcing me to get a full physical now, and a PSA Scan as well as a prostrate exam. Riddle me this... the docs were scoping my BIL's heart going up a vein with what we would call a bore scope to look inside, yet I still have to get a finger up my ass for a prostrate exam?  I had one done in my early 40's and everything was fine.  Wife is on me now, thinks I am going to die next.

I have so much life insurance I am worth more dead though. Not sure what she is worried about.  ;D

MiniGene

Wow, sorry to hear that about your BIL.  I hope he gets the heart before he gets worse.

Hopefully the results from your physical will calm the wife's nerves and you'll be good to go.  Good luck with it and the finger.  Just hope your doc has small hands.

John Gervais

I wasn't sure how to react when hearing about your BIL, but given his lifestyle and assuming that his father hasn't any heart issues and that you're not related to him by any means other than marriage, I'll venture a guess that you haven't much to worry about unless your family has a predisposition to cardio problems and your wife is really transferring her worries about him onto you. 

Last time I had a 'gloved' exam, I told the doctor that he'd better give me flowers next time.

Good luck -
- Pave the Bay -

jeff10049

WTF the hospital caused him to need a heart by messing up a bypass surgery? Or did I read that wrong?  If so that's effed up sorry to hear about that either way it sucks at only 44 years old.

Jims5543

These ddos attacks are making browsing horrible. Thanks Obama!!

Jeff - he walked in with a heart working at 50% efficiency despite 90% blockage. In a perfect world a quad bypass should have put him back on his way.

Sadly, they claim he had a heart attack on the table greatly damaging his heart and leaving him with 20% efficiency with now clear arteries. He needs a new heart.

Obamacare mandates he cannot have a new heart until he wears a defibrillator vest for 3 months, THEN he can get on a waiting list for a heart.

Of course, this will reset his deductible for next year. Which sucks, I have no idea why he has to wait 3 months. Maybe they are counting on him to die so they do not have to cover the transplant.

He is supposed to come home and start the wait on Friday.

Meanwhile I grabbed some great crafts while waiting for rain to pass at this cool little craft beer store a few towns away this past Friday. Had a good, lets try to die, weekend.

MiniDave

Raise a glass for my friend Tom, someone I'd been friends with since 6th grade, his cancer finally took him today. RIP, Tom......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

- Pave the Bay -

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

MPlayle

Cheers and a raised glass to all who have lost someone this year (dad passed in August).

John Gervais

Ex wife killed herself in April -

edit - maybe it was in June or July, I can't remember. 
- Pave the Bay -

BruceK

Condolences to others who've experienced loss recently.  My mom died just before the start of this year.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on October 24, 2016, 12:36:42 PM
Raise a glass for my friend Tom, someone I'd been friends with since 6th grade, his cancer finally took him today. RIP, Tom......

Sorry to read this.  Will grab a good Whiskey and toast to Tom.

Fuck Cancer.

Quote from: MPlayle on October 24, 2016, 03:04:54 PM
Cheers and a raised glass to all who have lost someone this year (dad passed in August).

Sorry about your Dad.  Mike.

Quote from: John Gervais on October 24, 2016, 03:09:54 PM
Ex wife killed herself in April -

edit - maybe it was in June or July, I can't remember.

Sorry, but I am sitting here waiting for a punchline.

Joking aside, you never want to hear about someone suffering so bad they choose to end their life.  Sorry to read about this too.

Quote from: BruceK on October 25, 2016, 07:48:26 AM
Condolences to others who've experienced loss recently.  My mom died just before the start of this year.

Same for you, sorry to read that.

Damn I am depressed now, think I will drink a depressant type of drink this evening to cheer up.

Jims5543

I am just gonna put this here.

Jims5543

Continuing to stockpile varied whiskeys from all over the place.   I have a lot of bottles that have not been broken open yet. Which is fine.  In another month or two I am quitting Flaviour so I am stocking up for a long time.

Jims5543

That Buck Yeah kept me company election night and was very good. Very happy with that one.

94touring

I've cut way back on the drinking but found a local brewery in Bangor Maine today.

Jims5543

I am with you in spirit brother.

Found this amazing canned beer and it is good.  Have had a couple this afternoon starting with the F1 race and screwing in the garage. Now I have a date with my Big Green Egg and some NY Strip steaks.

Hic.

Jims5543

As much as Dan tempted me to join him in spirit drinking some fine Belgium Ales, I ended up with some Buck Yeah again.

Hope you had a fun night Capt Dan.