Modern wiring

Started by MtyMous, December 14, 2014, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

I'm building my own wiring harness and I want it to be easy to trace the factory options. I'm leaving a lot of the wiring how it was because it wasn't a roblem. But  want to replace every piece of wire because I have no idea what is good or bad judging from the small electrical fire thanks to the previous owners' ...um... crafty work. I also want to add weather tight connectors, get rid of the crappy bullet connections, and add in service loops where I can. There's going to be a few other little nice modern touches, but I'll leave that for a later post.

So with all of that said, I'm looking to either A) replace all the wires with a set of standard primary color wires and inevitably have some duplicates. or B) Pay the extra money to buy some wire from a top of the line manufacturer and have them make me my own custom insulation with spiral tracers. I really want to go this route, but it's expensive. Don't have a quote back yet, but it may even be cost prohibitive if I don't buy in a large enough quantity. So here's the million dollar question.

THIS IS JUST A FEELER AND I'M NOT COMITTING TO ANYTHING YET. but who would be interested in buying upgraded quality, modern wiring with all of the factory mini color/tracer codes?

94touring

Eesh.  I hate electrical work to begin with.   I've had to do enough investigate work on 79 automatic to drive anyone crazy.  I can't imagine making my own harness at this point.  You're a brave man!

MtyMous

Well I'm adding some features, data logging, completely different switches, completely different gauges, etc. I want to upgrade the harness, go with larger gauge wires for certain high draw points, etc. So it only makes sense to replace some of the wires. So taking the whole thing apart is a must. Might as well put it back together with better pieces. Everything else is getting the same treatment. Why not the wires. Also, I'm changing out some of the wiring connections. Weather tight, bulkhead passthrough, etc.

At this point it's just a feeler to see if anyone else wants some raw wire. I'm also looking to baseline the whole harness by making a schematic in visio. Then I'm going to add on my extras. That way I have a whole schematic for myself and any future owners. Also, it's easy to trace faults, and anyone that wants to do the same modifications as me can just look at the diagram.

Merlin

The wiring in my mini was...sub-par to say the least. In fact its what started me down this project. I found a universal wiring harness off of ebay that had 14 some-odd circuits with fused links and relays for lights. The wires come with different colors and are pre labeled with what they should go to for simplicity. It was relatively cheap and comes with a lot of wire, so there will be leftovers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-CIRCUIT-REBEL-WIRING-HARNESS-UNIVERSAL-STREET-ROD-RAT-ROD-USA-MADE-/181606461162

I chose to buy that and go that route instead of getting a bunch of wire spools and pulling it myself. I knew that I would weather-pack most of it and do a FI conversion, so I threw the old wiring harness in the trash and plan on making a custom one like you.

Engineering the Impossible

AcesLow

I had to the go the custom route for myself due to my power plant.  I stripped the original harness of  all the connectors but kept the wire colors the same as the standard mini stuff.  I went to amphenol At series connectors and added relays where they were needed and then merged it with the R1 harness. Worked out pretty good so far.   Are you wanting to buy the materials in bulk or get a few harness made?

MtyMous

Right now I'm planning to buy the wires in the quantity I need. But the cost is cheaper if I buy a lot more than I need. Economies of scale and what-not. So I was going to offer it up to anyone that wanted to get in on the deal. But it's looking like it's gonna be more hassle than it's worth to get multiple people in on it, so I'm just going to buy what I want. Only thing left is to decide if I just want striped line or if I want printed wording. I'm still leaning toward stripes only.