A few questions

Started by snack, October 27, 2014, 07:52:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snack

I'm working on a 64 sedan.  When dry fitting the left front inner wing, (new heritage panel) there seems to be extra  metal around where it will eventually meet the around the scuttle.  Does this get trimmed or do you do something else with it.

Second when I removed the rusted a-panel I left about a 1/4" along the back edge. ( marked in green).  Should I grind that back so the edge so the A-panel lip falls over the door frame panel?

Thanks,
Steve

94touring

In that first pic all that metal should be there.   I had to cut that section out of the one later model and fab in new.  So if you need it, looks like you've got it to use.  Regarding your second question, I can't recall how it meets up in relation to that lip.  Might need to dig through pics in the gallery to see what you find.

Nicholasupton

on the front of the door frame, if you are repairing to and OE spec you will want to butt-weld along that corner to hide the seam as all mk1 mini's had Monoside panels meaning that it is one continuous panel from seam to seam, and there is no overlapping panels.

The inner fender looks like it is in the correct place as it ends up spot welded in the windscreen flange.

snack

I've got a follow up question.  I'm guessing I need to start with the inner fenders because the inner A-panel appears to be welded to to the back of the inner fender.  After the inner fenders are on I'd weld the inner   and outer A-panels aligning them with the doors fitted. Then move to the front panel, fenders and hood and get a good alignment of the front .  Is this a reasonable way to proceed.

Thanks,
Steve

94touring

Correct.   I'd fit the whole front before welding on the a panels.  Sometimes you need to tweak them.

snack

Thanks Dan...  How about the scuttle panel? End repairs, or replace entire panel?
Steve

94touring

End repairs unless it's bad enough to warrant the whole panel.  When you fit all of these panels, fit the subframe and bolt the front end panel to it.   Then add the wings, a panels, and scuttle.   Drill a few holes along seams and gutters to screw and align them into place to have a guide when you start welding.