Jim what should I do?

Started by 94touring, September 09, 2014, 08:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

What was the temperature rating on the standard style plug, I am willing to bet he was trying to run colder plugs in there, typical move when someone is going after higher boost and running race gas.

Run 93 run nominal boost and run standard 7 and 9 plugs in it and you will have a happy car.

Amazing what a little TLC does for a car and its power, that was how it was with the Mini, once I sorted out some maintenance issues, put in the solid state ignition etc.. she pulled nice and hard. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Stock plugs were 7 leading and 9 trailing.  He had 9s all around which is smart.   I put in 4 stock 9s.  Here's my home made resonated midpipe...  still a bit droany on the highway but a few decibals quiter overall.

Jims5543

I used a Magnaflow pipe for my Mid pipe, about the size of a small car pipe but IIRC it had metal inside so it held up the the 700°+ pounding a rotary dishes out.

I melted my exhaust running Homestead Raceway in Miami in the summer. It actually sagged in places where there was no support from the heat. We had 700+ at the exhaust tip. No idea how hot up line further.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I made my own cat back also.  Ditched the 4" ricer boy tip and used a dual tip exhaust that looked stocked.  3" in and two 2.5" out.  Took it apart and packed with stainless steel wool specifically for hot temps/rotaries.

Jims5543

I had one of the first Apexi N1 cat backs on my car, ricey looking yes, cost $1200 when I purchased it, mostly because it was a single and exited on the passenger side, where the car was lightest. I corner weighed it and it was very light in that corner. The battery and muffler went there.

People would scoff at it, calling it boy racer, ricey etc... I pointed out it cost me a grand. then once the car moved, they usually shut the f*ck up and started stuttering and pondering how what they saw was happening.

Track days, I would come in with it on a trailer. Smirks and pointing in laughing at it.

After the 1st session, visits to my pit spot. "WTF have you done to that thing? It is crazy fast!"

"what kind of car is that?"

"What mods does that have?"

Does that thing have NOS?" (Which is illegal as hell at track days)

On the track the Z06 dejouer would crap himsself as I ran him down almost embarrassingly in the twisties on the track, the added insult to injury in the straights. Then the inevitable, and dreaded, point to pass.....

Loved it.

It made me embrace and love my ricer exhaust.