Repairing front doors. Need some pictures and advice

Started by Merlin, September 01, 2014, 01:44:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merlin

I have been repairing the doors on my mini and I had to cut the front of the door away at the door stop connection as it had been very poorly welded and was cracking. The same for where the door skin(s) join the window frame. This was filled in with bronze solder and was cracking as well. So with that said, I don't know what a standard door should look like and need some advice.

I cut back some of the metal at the door stop interface and rewelded the mount directly to the hard part of the door to stop cracking again. I will grind back some of the welding and put the shown patch panel in its place. The problem I have is in the transition from the flat piece to the door frame. Does anyone have any pictures of what this should actually look like? Am I doing this right? Should I add a piece of metal to the front of this patch and have it transition down to the window frame?

Engineering the Impossible

94touring

I just left the shop and won't be back till next week to grab any photos.  There might be something in the gallery that shows that section though. 

Merlin

When I cut it out, I left the flange part in tact so that I could use it as a reference, but I think that the door should extend a little further to be level with the inside door skin. This still leaves a little of the outer door skin sticking above the inner door skin. It will also extend an inch or so above the flange part.

Does the top part of the flange get welded down to the window frame or does it get cut off?

Engineering the Impossible

sparetimetoys

Doesn't it get bent around the inner frame then tacked?
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.