Author Topic: New Heritage Shell  (Read 3308 times)

Offline bikewiz

New Heritage Shell
« on: August 31, 2014, 07:45:18 PM »
So my car is pretty solid but it could use some more restoration to be "better" "perfect" etc, which we all know is time consuming and expensive. Because over on the MM site I'll get more opinions than fact, has anyone here rebuilt their car with a new Heritage shell and what are the legalities of reshelling a mini? And all of the ancillary questions would be good to have answered too, how good is the new shell, how much does it cost to get one over here, is it worth the $$.

Offline 94touring

Re: New Heritage Shell
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 07:51:58 PM »
A new shell is just that, a new shell from heritage.  Simply swap over your parts from your old car to the new shell, including the vin.  You're done.  I can get you a shell from heritage at a good price, but I have no idea what shipping would be.  I know on a crate of panels it's not cheap after shipping and customs/duty.  By time it's said and done, if your car is fairly solid, the cost to have your current shell done up right would likely be cheaper.   

Offline bikewiz

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
94 have you done one yet? I've checked out the cars you've done and I'm impressed with the fit and finish. I know the fit of a mini is not on par with a 30 year old Toyota but I'm curious if the Heritage shells are better than original production. I've read conflicting posts on the UK sites, some say they're the dogs bollocks because you start rust free but others say the fit is 'orrible.

Offline Willie_B

• CREW
  • 1380cc
  • He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
    • Lilburn, GA,
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 08:18:36 PM »
The MkIV shell at MM is $9500 plus shipping.

Offline 94touring

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 08:25:56 PM »
I've never had my hands on one.  I guess I'm under the assumption since heritage is the ones producing them, they are the same as when the cars were in production.  Mini's never had great fitment to start with really.  I know the price I can get one for is probably half of MM before shipping. 

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 08:09:23 AM »
I've never had my hands on one.  I guess I'm under the assumption since heritage is the ones producing them, they are the same as when the cars were in production.  Mini's never had great fitment to start with really.  I know the price I can get one for is probably half of MM before shipping.

:-\

Thought I'd read somewhere that you can buy them seam welded and caged...that's the way I'm going next time.   ::)

Wonder how much you could sell your old shell for after the swap, too?  Might only end up being a few grand for the swap?

Let me know if you get it - I'll be down there in a second to check it out!   19.gif

Offline 94touring

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
I just figured the cost of the shell, shipping, and paint job would run 10-12k. 

Offline Merlin

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:22:44 PM »
Mmm, makes me want to start another project!
Engineering the Impossible

Offline jedduh01

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:54:28 PM »
I would add to the thoughts of a new Heritage shell + paint + Transportation to your door.

your custom additions  (roof jack) Bonnet stripes
plus alot of Hardware items Rivets , screws - nuts and bolts, Rubber Weather Strippings
 plus- inferior quality replaced parts- Rubber bushings or things that dont fit right again and require fettling.

If you transfer everything to a new shell - OK you do havce a used shell - but with no VIN-  could be good for LEMONS or for another Re vin/ re shell -- and the vicious cycle continues off a new born soul...

Bikewiz- you have a wonderful car-- while no car is perfect yours appears to be TOP NOTCH -- more headache to re do again for sure!   might as well get a second mini and re build it up!

Offline Mudhen

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:47:37 AM »
If you transfer everything to a new shell - OK you do havce a used shell - but with no VIN-  could be good for LEMONS or for another Re vin/ re shell -- and the vicious cycle continues off a new born soul...

DOH!   :-[

You're a wise man, Jedduh... 4.gif