1960 Austin Seven resto

Started by jeff10049, August 10, 2014, 11:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Wow that looks awesome!!   4.gif

jeff10049

Look what I got. NOS hub caps in the wrapper the correct slotted 59/60 ones.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/371169175693?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Jeff

MtyMous

Looks great. Hose down the whole place to keep the dust down?

jeff10049

Quote from: MtyMous on November 09, 2014, 07:05:15 PM
Looks great. Hose down the whole place to keep the dust down?

Thanks, Yes it helps a lot to wet things down even in a booth the job came out really clean.
Started color sanding today shouldn't have waited so long paint is way hard already but it's coming out show quality.
I did take some video of painting and steps involved just need to get it edited into something useful, and then add it to Dan's paint and body how to thread.  Also going to do up something on color sanding and buffing.

jeff10049

Made this thing on the lathe today factory one is plastic and was gone.

Hand ground a small internal threading tool to cut the  1/2" 16 T.P.I. for the green thing to screw into.

Just need to shine up the plastic green thing and the chrome rod paint the new part black and good to go.

Factory one in last pic I think I came pretty close to matching the shape.

Mudhen

That looks great!

That was one of the first things I wrecked on my '65 when I got it - the lens was broken and I *thought* the whole plastic section came off.  When it didn't unscrew I used a pair of pliers and all the plastic just crumbled in my hands.   50.gif

26 years later I still haven't replaced it.  ::)

tsumini

Nice job on the resto.
Re:Signal stalk repair.
Were you able to retain the old bulb and pigtail? I had one with pigtail missing and plastic part broken.  I got some repair parts but got a little stuck making the part you turned from aluminum. Here's my Minimania thread on the subject.
http://www.minimania.com/msgThread/115291/1/1/Bulb_socket_wanted

jeff10049

Thanks,

On the bulb my thoughts were to use a led just glued in place as someone said on the mm thread, If i had the old bulb and pigtail I could make it work but mine is long gone, just seems easy to use a led instead.

If you or Mudhen would like I can turn out a couple more aluminum things and send them your way, might have to use the led light method with them as I don't know if the factory stuff will fit in the ones I make I don't even know what it looks like never had a complete one.

Jeff

tsumini

I was working on two broken ones and then I set them aside. I'll have to dig them out shortly. Thanks for the offer. I'll paypal the cost and shipping. Original thought was to mold the part to the stalk with 3M panel bond (good stuff) but ran stuck with the thread size of the green lens but I see you have it as 1/2 16.
Thanks

jeff10049

The stock is still clamped in the lathe chuck and the tools on the post I'll whip out a couple this weekend.

Mudhen do you want one?

Jeff

On another note got my hub caps they are perfect condition one more thing to cross off the list.

Jeff

Mudhen

Quote from: jeff10049 on November 12, 2014, 09:21:00 PM
The stock is still clamped in the lathe chuck and the tools on the post I'll whip out a couple this weekend.

Mudhen do you want one?

Jeff

On another note got my hub caps they are perfect condition one more thing to cross off the list.

Jeff

Thanks a lot for the offer, Jeff, but I think I'm going to just replace the whole thing.  Seems like it's pretty cheap and my stock has lost its finish anyway (just ask my wife...  ::) )

Cheap in this case means less than the cost of a single hubcap (did you hit your head?   :D )

Pat

jeff10049

tsumini, I made a couple more stalk ends pm me a address and I'll send them your way.

mudhen, re did I hit my head? Most certainly why else would I be working on a mini.

On another note I was going to send my sub frames out for powder coat after steam cleaning, they came out so well I decided to just paint.

After steam clean I put the small parts in the blast cab. used the spot blaster on the frame where needed. Next was a coat of etch primer, then black sealer, and two coats of black paint.

jeff10049

Now I can put them back together and get the car back on its own wheels again.
Can't wait.

Jeff

94touring

jeff10049

Got the rear sub together today and installed.

Car color sanded in last picture only front fenders buffed that's why it looks dull.

tsumini

Quote from: jeff10049 on November 29, 2014, 12:55:12 AM
tsumini, I made a couple more stalk ends pm me a address and I'll send them your way.

PM sent Thanks

jeff10049

[/quote]
PM sent Thanks
[/quote]

Parts sent.

tsumini

Quote from: jeff10049 on December 02, 2014, 09:23:49 PM

PM sent Thanks
[/quote]

Parts sent.
[/quote]
Thanks I'll look for them.

jeff10049

Got the front sub stripped etch primed and painted. Also cleaned,lubed, replaced the boots, and seal on the steering rack.

Reshimmed the ball joints, found out I could not use the wheel bearings I painstakingly re packed. Turns out you can't buy the early 18 spline cv joints so I bought the new style then found out that the old axles don't fit the new cv's, so I got some axles, then found out the new wheel flanges don't fit the old bearings S.O.B.
It's fully updated now.

Mudhen

That is looking AWESOME!   71.gif

jeff10049

jeff10049

Completed the sand and buff of the body.

Once that was done started installing some parts on the body and the wiring harness.

jeff10049

jeff10049

A before and after shot of bulkhead.

tsumini

Jeff I queried another forum about my speedo on my 60 Austin. Seems I have what is generally regarded as having been installed on Morris mini's and not the Austin. I think the only difference is in the pointer. The Morris Pointer is triangular and the Austin is a narrow pointer.
Another member said his early '60 also had Morris Speedo. Since our cars are close in build date could you tell me what your car has on it Austin or Morris. Morris number is SN4410/00 and Austin is SN4409/00. Number is just above the Odometer. This assumes that yours is the original. if not then nevermind LOL.
Thanks.
BTW haven't had much time t look at the signal stalk but the hole is too big to fit on the stalk. Will have to figger out how later.