1960 Austin Seven resto

Started by jeff10049, August 10, 2014, 11:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff10049

Ok I hi jacked the other old mini threads enough, time to start my own. I left off a couple years ago after getting the car primed that thread is still here, but I will post new progress in this one.
Some of you may have been following the build back in the MM days all those post are gone for some stupid reason they only last 365 days over there I did a lot of nice write ups too. So I will give a recap up too now for those who have not followed or forgot its been a long road.

Here it is the day we got it.

About the car 1960 Austin seven North American Export De-Lux.
All the numbers match the cert. the gearbox also has the correct number.
most of the car stayed together through the years
Speedwell Blue
Grey cloth
Build date of January 1960 most parts on the car are dated 11 or 12 of 1959
Dispatched to USA on 21 Jan 1960

I am restoring the car as correct as I can the 1959 mini register is a help on these early cars.

As I said I'll do a quick recap here and then cover the current stuff in more detail. If you would like more detail on the older work go here http://minirestoration.blogspot.com/ .

jeff10049

jeff10049

Engine rebuild.
Reground crank, cam, rebuilt head new vales seats springs, honed bores new rings, paint as close to orig. as they could mix.

tsumini

Not trying to be picky just curious. I thought Austin NA was an 850 and the UK version was Seven? My heritage cert only has Saloon and doesn't say 850 but the boot emblem is 850.

tsumini

Transferred my question over here from Old Dog.
Jeff I have a 1960 Austin 850 built Jan 20,1960. I was looking at your first photo showing underside of floor. Is that the original floor or was it replaced? What do you use for plugging the two holes (about 2 in Dia?). I have six of these holes which were plugged using aluminum plugs which I can't find or referenced anywhere.
[/quote]

Back floor is original front pans are new but correct I think. I was going to use the flexible plastic plugs shown here http://www.mcmaster.com/#sheet-metal-plugs/=t836kw to plug the holes on mine they have steel ones too but not aluminum that I could find. I'm going for a correct car but not too worried about the floor plugs being correct.

Jeff
Transferred my question over here from Old Dog.

I had to repair a small area in the floor. See photo yellow circled. I got a replacement panel but the replacement panel had a bend in the outside groove and mine was straight. So I ended up hand building the replacement piece. That was the reason for the question. Apparently the floor pan on mine is different from the original 59 pan and the later ones with the bend in the groove.
Also see the aluminum plugs that were removed.

jeff10049

Quote from: tsumini on August 11, 2014, 09:31:09 AM
Not trying to be picky just curious. I thought Austin NA was an 850 and the UK version was Seven? My heritage cert only has Saloon and doesn't say 850 but the boot emblem is 850.

Here is my cert it says seven saloon not sure about the UK vs NA.

I didn't think they were called minis in 60 either but it says that too?

jeff10049

I had to repair a small area in the floor. See photo yellow circled. I got a replacement panel but the replacement panel had a bend in the outside groove and mine was straight. So I ended up hand building the replacement piece. That was the reason for the question. Apparently the floor pan on mine is different from the original 59 pan and the later ones with the bend in the groove.
Also see the aluminum plugs that were removed.

[/quote]

Not sure abut your floors I have seen another 59 with floors like yours so it may be correct.

Jeff

Nicholasupton

I have a 59/60 car that has the same floors. I hand made new aluminum plugs as mine all crumbled.

jeff10049

After the air cleaner talk in the old dog thread thought I post mine.
I used a fine tipped brush to touch up the yellow and  rattle can black for the rest then cleared the whole thing.

sparetimetoys

Quote from: jeff10049 on August 11, 2014, 08:18:10 PM

I looked on my  cert and it is just a Austin Mini Saloon. 
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

tsumini

Quote from: Nicholasupton on August 11, 2014, 08:35:54 PM
I have a 59/60 car that has the same floors. I hand made new aluminum plugs as mine all crumbled.
What would it take to make seven more? Also did you make the install tool?

tsumini

Quote from: jeff10049 on August 11, 2014, 10:03:56 PM
After the air cleaner talk in the old dog thread thought I post mine.
I used a fine tipped brush to touch up the yellow and  rattle can black for the rest then cleared the whole thing.
Yeah that looks good.

tsumini

Quote from: sparetimetoys on August 12, 2014, 06:09:44 AM
Quote from: jeff10049 on August 11, 2014, 08:18:10 PM

I looked on my  cert and it is just a Austin Mini Saloon.
Same here. It looks like Brit Heritage changed description. Jeff's Cert is 2008. Ours are later. I would think they all should be tthe same but Heck no harm no foul.

jeff10049

Finished blocking the roof today what a bitch the roof was to get perfect, got the bottom paint done as well. The rest of the car is ready for its final sand before paint. Hope to paint the boot inside, under hood, and interior this weekend.

Mudhen

Man that looks awesome...how the heck do people here make such progress?!?!?  I've been working on mine for 2 years and I still don't think I'm ready for putting primer on...that looks so good, though.   4.gif

jeff10049

I make good progress when I get too work on it I have had it for 5 years.
But I have also done about five complete restorations for others in that time and a few partial restorations in that time as part of my business, the restoration side of our business is a winter time slow season thing so I'm too busy too ever work on my stuff in the summer and working other's in the winter.
After three years running the business it's starting to run smoothly enough to work on some of my stuff again its nice.

This stuff goes pretty fast if you can just commit some time each week.
I find it helps to pick a goal for the week like a hood or fender pick one and get it done, don't mess with anything else spend a couple hours a couple nights of the week and it'll be in primer.

jeff10049

got the doors stripped and primed inside and out I see a few little dings that I will need to fix that showed up when the primer was wet and glossy. I'll let them dry today and block them out tomorrow fill any little spots the don't block and re prime.

I have done a fair bit of restoration work on a variety of cars the mini may be smaller but they are about the same amount of work sanding down in all the door pockets and stuff like that is a pita. Also takes about the same amount of paint if you're doing a complete with the underside being body color and all.

Can't wait for this painting to be done, putting the car together will be fun.

Jeff

sparetimetoys

I'm looking forward to seeing you shoot the color to yours. When it cools down some ill get back to work on ours but 100+ in the garage isn't conducive to me working out there.

jeff10049

Quote from: sparetimetoys on August 17, 2014, 02:54:03 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing you shoot the color to yours. When it cools down some ill get back to work on ours but 100+ in the garage isn't conducive to me working out there.

I know the feeling just cooled down here we don't get much over 100 and only for a few weeks a year but I sure don't feel much like working when it's that hot.

I'm thinking about doing a video of the painting process, if there is any interest or if there is any specific areas of the paint process anyone here would like me to cover let me know. Should be getting to painting the important part soon.

Jeff

sparetimetoys

What do you use to clean off the dust and fingerprints before painting?  I guess if you did a video the prep would be a big area to cover because mess that up it screws up everything.

Tim

I know I would be interested in the whole process.  Discussing things like how to prep bare metal, primer before of after a skim of filler is applied (if needed), then the whole block sanding through to completion.

Tim.

jeff10049

Cool I will do up something on the paint.

Sparetime asked about some detailed photos of air cleaner stamp here ya go.

More to come resizing photos

jeff10049

length of box around text 3.375"
overall height  1.200"
Height to inner line from bottom line .720"

jeff10049

coopers border line is .375" tall at tallest point.
The radius at the ends is .125"
Overall length of coopers border 1.470"

jeff10049

The larger letters are.130" tall
Smaller letters are .075" tall

Hope this helps

Jeff