1960 Austin Seven resto

Started by jeff10049, August 10, 2014, 11:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie_B

94touring

jeff10049

Got my seats back last week the shop did a great job on them they had nonthing but the frames and pics to work from no foam or anything had survived.

I installed them today along with making a block off plate for that hole behind the back seat and putting in some sound deadening.

MiniDave

Those look fantastic! What did it cost to do that?
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Also been finishing some other little stuff on the car.

Got a rear view and side mirrors the aftermarket rear view that seven sells is the closest I found to a correct early mirror the way it clamps the glass. if painted wrinkle black it would be even better but screw it i like the chrome. The side mirrors are from seven also I think I like them I can't stand wing mirrors so I went with what they had in a retro look door mirror.

Put the delux trim on the lower seam (twice 50.gif) the second set went on well after the wife showed me how to put it on don't ask.

Had to replace the clutch thats in the maintenance part of the forum.

Shift boot installed, wipers, got brackets for washer bottle.

Car is nearing completion.

Also went to a car show a couple months ago longest drive in the mini so far all went well and they even selected it as a featured car and want me to return next year so people can see it finished.

jeff10049

Thanks Dave,

I don't know the cost but i'll find out what would be typical I bought the hounds tooth fabric as my car had something similar from the factory.
Casey the interior guy suggested using it just as inserts as he thought the whole seat would look to busy in all hounds tooth I agreed so its not exactly factory but im glad we did it like this.
He supplied the matching vinyl for the boarders the foam/whatever other stuff they use and all the labor. I have done some work in trade for this we haven't worked out the numbers yet.
I did fully restore the frames first and install new straps I'm guessing this is around 1,200-1,500 but I'll report back as to actual price.
If you like the hounds tooth or anybody wants some I have enough left to do another set or two of seat inserts id let go for the cost of shipping I don't really have a use for it.

Jeff

MiniDave

I know you're trying to be true to the originality of the car, but it's coming out SO much better than the factory built it when new!  ;D

Beautful job.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

stan360

This is one classy looking mini.  I love it. 

tsumini

I like the seat treatment with houndstooth inserts. Is the houndstooth the reproduction cloth from the 59 Registry? I'm trying to estimate what I need but mine was all houndstooth; all seats, door cards,rear cards, rear parcel shelf. They estimate about 25% more than I estimate and at $75 per square meter I'm looking at more than $600 delivered.
Pic shows as removed rear seat treatment from my car. It is stained and had been covered with vinyl.

jeff10049

Tsumini,
No it's a 60,S American car houndstooth close but not exact to the 59 register stuff. Don't forget to figure in some for waste.

Dave,
I asked about the cost 1,400 was the answer with seat frames ready to go.

MiniDave

Thanks, Jeff.

My local guy quoted me $350 each to recover a pair of Miata seats for Buzz - in vinyl. Seems to be in the same ballpark...

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Thanks Jeff. It does look a little different. I'm looking for a local upholsterer.

jeff10049

Got a few last little things done on the car.
Door check straps
Got the little hand pump for the window washers going installed the tank for the fluid
license plate bracket made a us light adptor out of the old plate bracket so it can hang down with a us plate.

MiniDave

The car looks fantastic! Have you been putting some miles on it yet?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Thanks Dave,
Only has 200 miles since I got it road worthy I'd like to drive it around this weekend and in the parade for the 4th, but I forgot to pay jc taylor for the years insurance 50.gif. Sent it in last week waiting for it to reinstate so it lives in the shop until then.
I do have a few shows planed for the summer and one longer trip.
I need to sell my business so I have more time for hobbies, anyone want a running business in beautiful central oregon?

stan360

I am impressed at how many original parts you refurbished.  The grill, the speedo clock, indicator stalk  very nice.

scottwallred@gmail.com

Just found this thread. Great flow of the work through the restoration. Having not done most of the work on my car I love being able to see everything from the beginning of yours.

Question on the side mirror. What is the right location/style for an 1960 Austin 850?

Thanks,
Scott

BruceK

Quote from: scottwallred@gmail.com on October 18, 2016, 08:28:11 AM

Question on the side mirror. What is the right location/style for an 1960 Austin 850?

I don't believe any Minis of that vintage came with wing or door mirrors.   If you look back at all the early press photos and advertising there were no external mirrors fitted.

However, by the time you get a few years into the 1960s, a lot of Minis featured wing mirrors.   I wonder if those were dealer-installed?

So it looks like owner's choice on mirrors.

Here's the 500,00 Mini, and no mirrors.

And here's the 2 millionth Mini, clearly a Mk. II, and still no mirrors.

1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

jeff10049

Bruce is correct no mirrors from the factory I don't like wing mirrors. So i ordered the ones I have from seven and just picked a spot on the door.