'Other' restorations/projects

Started by Mudhen, July 15, 2014, 02:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudhen

Poking around online for something else to tear down and not finish...wondering what other fun projects/restorations you guys might have going on.  Anything?

Mudhen

To kick it off...

I have an old gas pump we'd given my dad on his 70th birthday - it's in dire need of a sandblaster and some paint.  Not sure how to go about restoring the lettering/stickers type stuff, though.  Should drop it off at American Restorations I guess...love that show... 77.gif

Might be neat in a bar...still has the internals in it, maybe hooking it to a keg would be fun.   ;D

Jims5543

My uncle restored an old gas pump, I will shoot him an email and ask about the stickers and get back to you.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

1903 Root and Vandervoort 2 hp hit miss engine.
just need to get  a repro muffler and make a battery box and its done.
oh and clean up and reinstalll the flat belt pully

Jeff

Mudhen

:-\

You did that...yourself?

How'd you do the pinstriping/star?  Wow is that beautiful!

jeff10049

Was out in the shop today working on mini wiper motor and cleaning up some of my old engines and thought about this thread.  figured I check to see if any other hobbies had been posted not much going on  I see.

But I did miss your question mud so to answer yes did that my self all except for the pin stripping, I know a guy that does it for a living so I had him do it. I did do the star just mask it off by eye and painted it.

Even built a new ignitor for it you can see it had some torch cut plate spark plug conversion on it in the before pic.   

Since my last post I took a video of it running.
https://plus.google.com/107725419814074766200/posts/5ZMpb1Na7pL

Jeff

jeff10049

Wonder what Jims5543 HOA would say about my grass in that video getting a little too tall for their liking.

Also restored this one.

A 5 horse economy about 1931 year

Not much for before pics just a pile of parts.

What else you guys got somebody's got to be restoring something cool? Hows that gas pump coming?

Did the pin stripping on this one stick on vinyl worked good.

Mudhen

Man that's gorgeous, too!  Going to grab the kids - show them the video so they can see in action the internal parts of an engine I'm always blabbering on about, too.  Awesome motor.

No progress on the gas pump, only focusing on the 944 at the moment.  That needs to be a project that gets finished... ::)

jeff10049

My Wife just found and got this for me A 1940's IHC throttle governed engine mostly complete turns over still. Valve gear is all stuck magneto has a broken cap but found one on the ebay fuel tank needs repair and someone turned it over before checking the valves and broke a rocker arm at some point  but thought enough to save the piece.
Pulled it apart some today should be a fun easy restoration I'll post the progress as I work on it.

Also started in on a 50 chevy pickup we have might start a thread on that in this section later.

jeff10049

Everything inside looks pretty good Ill pull the piston later in the week but this engine might not need much to be running.

Jims5543

Cool engines Jeff, interested in seeing the final product on that and indeed start a thread on the Cheby!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

jeff10049

cleaned up the magneto this evening got it sparking, just had to clean the points and the condenser ground. and coil connections. Not much goes wrong with these old impulse mags. Took about 50 tries with the camera timer and turning the mag by hand at just the right time to catch a spark in the photo.

jeff10049

managed with heat and penetrating oil to get the valves out. I have a old Sioux valve grinder but these old valves were soft enough steel to just cut on the lathe. Cut the seats with the neway seat cutter and lapped the valves.

This engine is throttle governed rather than hit or miss. The throttle valve is in the cylinder head rather than the carb.

MiniDave

I'm surprised you didn't shot blast the combustion chamber before you cut the seats......must be fairly low compression/HP to use valves that soft?

After being stuck like that the guides were OK?

Wonder what the slot is all about in the head of the valve? Remarkable that you could still see the makers marks on the heads of the valves!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

Hi Dave, I didn't blast it only because it's small enough to fit the the tub of evaporust I'm using on this project and I want to see what it'll do. So far I'm amazed by the product soaked the rocker shaft in it and it slide apart by hand all the valve gear is spotless almost looks bead blasted. If the head dosent clean up i'll carfully blast it and a light recut on the seats.

The valves are soft enough to lathe cut but not as soft as mild steel the exhaust was a different part number and it took carbide bit to cut it. Still softer than todays valves though.

Yes somehow the guides survived quite well I didn't measure the clearance yet but the +.001 Newway mandrel wouuldn't go in so they are good and pass the feel test with the valve in em. I might measure them just for fun.

The slots in the valves were for the old lapping tool before the suction cup type  they also used pin drives where the valve head had two holes in it. 

The makers mark is actually the International harvester symbol they made their own.

Hear is a picture of a old ZIM valve lapper, note the rotating end piece for slot or pin drive valves.

MiniDave

When I lapped valves using the old suction cup on a stick, you'd rub them a few times then lift slightly, rotate a bit, then rub a few more licks....can you lift the valve with this device, does it stick into the slot tight enough to do that?

I've used a handle driven one like this too, but with a suction cup on the end, never saw one with the pin or slots before....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

I don't think they fit tight enough to lift the valve, I've never used mine just always found a suction cup big enough to work.  I just used a big screw driver on this one and pushed it up by the stem a few times.

Brazed up the broken rocker after work yesterday going in today to clear snow and will take the rest of the engine in and hopefully get to play with it a bit.

jeff10049

Removed the fuel tank and cut out the rusty areas then welded in some patches also removed the piston the rings are stuck, will work on that next week.
Honed the bore lightly looks good slight ridge but can't even catch a finger nail on it so it'll work fine as is.
Might have it running next weekend.

jeff10049

The piston rings were all free after soaking in evaporust overnight and they looked great without too much end gap so they went back in.
Got the head  and valve gear back on as well fuel tank repaired and sealed.
The pto pulley was on to far and rubbing the casting it's held with a taper key that was stuck. Welded three 5/16" nuts to the key and forced it out with bolts and heat then cut the nuts off and cleaned it up.
Now and paint it apart and reinstall with proper clearance.

jeff10049

The valves are lubed by a oil trough that receives 3 drips per minute of crankcase oil, tubes feed the valve guide felts and a hollow shaft oils the rockers.

jeff10049

Got the thing painted new decals and running. Now I just need to find something to belt up to it.

MiniDave

As cool as that project is (and it truly is cool!)I'd be interested to hear about that fiberglass project in the background!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

jeff10049

Background car is a 64 factory fuel injected corvette, ordered with factory knock off wheels, 456 gears, 4 speed, a badass car.
It's a customer car we are doing a  full restoration shipped up from New York.

It was ordered to be raced and taken to Germany raced and driven hard on the autobahn, then shipped to England raced some more  Then the current owner bought it and after his work their shipped it back to  U.S.A. and drove it in New York for a while.

Needless to say the frame had rust issues and other wear and tear from hard use. We hope to complete the restoration by September of this year that will be just Ahead of our 2 year goal.  This is not a NCRS restoration however it will be correct just to nice for a NCRS car. 

A few pictures of progress not a great picture of when we first pulled the body but also has a Pantera we restored that won best of show at a concourse show in pebble beach and got some recognition from Jay Leno.

The body had many blisters in a 1980's repaint and a very strange yellowish 1/8" thick primer that didn't stick well we had to hand scrape off the entire car.
The frame was also nearly broken in two at the rear from a crash at some point.
After sand blast we repaired the cracks and rusted areas and sent it for powdercoat.
Every component will be rebuilt before reinstalling.

jeff10049

Just for fun couple pics of a 63 we did to NCRS specs that has taken an award or two.  Green Lumber crayon marks for number of body shims, white ink frame# stencil applied with roller, screen printed GM logo rad hoses, correct clamps, white masking tape to hold body shims in place and left on the car, not to shiny of paint job, all that shit just like the factory did it in 63.

I'll post up more of the 64 fuelie as we go.