How do you install a windshield?

Started by jetmechinnc, June 21, 2014, 04:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetmechinnc

Just a question on installing a windshield/ rear window.  The hanes book says to put the seal on the glass, then put it in the frame using a string and two people.  Mini mania's youtube video shows them warming up the seal with hot water and then putting the seal on the car frame first and then putting the window in.  Minispares website just says not to use the string method so not to tear the seal.  I'm planning on at least spraying the seal with silicone to make it easy with the glass, etc.  Any suggestions?

94touring

Rubber in the frame.   Lube the channel with ky.  Carefully shimmy the glass in and work the rubber over the glass on the corners that don't easily fall in place.   

jetmechinnc

Thank you,  I'll try that, was having problems trying to get the seal on the frame originally.  Seemed to have and excess of material which I assume means the seal isn't fully seated in the frame possibly due to the new headliner install.

Another question, I'm trying to put my door windows back in with new seals, the felt ones, and with the seals installed, I can't seem to move the window.  I'm almost lifting the car up just to pull the window up in place.  Have you ever had this problem?  Can you or do you sometimes have to cut down the seal?  Or is if just that they are new?  Either way, I can't seem to get the window free.  You put it in, and it's wedged sitting in the tracks.