Author Topic: 1960 Austin 850 Project  (Read 42323 times)

Offline BruceK

Re: 1960 Austin 850 Project
« Reply #275 on: March 09, 2020, 09:27:11 AM »
Thanks for the explanation
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1992 Toyota LiteAce

Offline tsumini

« Reply #276 on: March 26, 2020, 11:21:47 PM »
So after fighting an engine issue off and on since January I finally identified and fixed the problem.
The problem? apparently a flaky erratic ignition condenser.

Re-capping: previous posts detail some of the engine run problems encountered; changed fuel pump, replaced kinked fuel line,cleared fuel line, gravity fed carb, changed carburator without improvement.

I was able to run the engine but was hard to start. It showed evidence of fuel problem but couldn't determine if ssupply or caarburation problem. It was run with a timing light which occasionally indicated misfires and would stop flashing when it stumbled and quit. Wasn't sure this was a sparking problem or coli problem.
 I checked and adjusted the points (.020 adjusted back to .016) Contacts and condenser had been installed new with not more than five hours run time).  I installed a new 12V coil and saw some improvement but it still stumbled after a few minutes.Took the ignition resistor out even though coli said to use a resistor. all this without nay imporovement. Adjusted the mxture so many times i wasn't sure where it was. Couldn't get it to run long enough to set right. Wasn't sure that I wasn't flooding the engine.
All this and exhibited the same erratic run, start. When it wiould run it would run like a banshee, so WOT ran great but idle was a nightmare.

Last few days I redid all the things I changed; re-installed the SU fuel pump- no change hard to start, stumbled then quit. Ran with gravity feed- no change; stumble then quit. Changed the carb back to the original carb. No change. Back to original parts except new coil. Hard to start, rough runnning, misfiring.
Then got to thinking the only thing i haven't changed are the points and condenser. I was going to change them but needed to order and continued troubleshooting. Seemed that was the only thing left and ignition was suspect anyway.
I wondered about the condenser so I googled symptoms of a bad condenser. At that time I presumed the the engine simply would not start or run. Surprisingly there was info that a condesnser going bad will exhibit hard to start, rough running, misfiring. I realized this described my engine's symptoms to a tee.
Since i hadn't ordered a set of points I didn't have a condenser so I dug around my old parts bin and found an old distributer with a old Lucas condenser. Installed the condenser and strated the engine. I think it was flooded as it sttered around the ran. Blew the cobwbs out WOT and it stated to run like sewing machine. tweaked the mixture, checked the timing ran till running temp reached without a hitch. Shut it down and restarted without any problems.
And Bob's your uncle.

My first experience with a bad condenser.
Now to clean the yellow pollen off. Its in the garage. How does that stuff get in? Duh Open garage door.

Offline BruceK

« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2020, 06:15:46 AM »
Success! Lots of good old mechanical detective work there. 

So much different from just plugging in a scanner and reading the codes.  ;D
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1992 Toyota LiteAce

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
And that's why I convert every engine I work on to pointless ignition. I've only had one failure, and it was over 20 years old and easy to diagnose......no spark. Changed it out, runs perfectly again.

Glad you found your demon too - but if you want to make sure it doesn't happen ever again, switch to a Pertronix or the like.
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline tsumini

« Reply #279 on: March 27, 2020, 11:49:28 AM »
And that's why I convert every engine I work on to pointless ignition. I've only had one failure, and it was over 20 years old and easy to diagnose......no spark. Changed it out, runs perfectly again.

Glad you found your demon too - but if you want to make sure it doesn't happen ever again, switch to a Pertronix or the like.
No spark is what I expected of a condenser failure mode, not a "99.9% of the time it works." mode.
Couldn't seem to figger out if it was ignition or fuel problem but  the next step was pointless. ;D

Offline MiniDave

« Reply #280 on: March 27, 2020, 01:19:27 PM »
 :D
1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2004 Audi Allroad 2.7 TT

Offline BruceK

« Reply #281 on: March 27, 2020, 02:43:30 PM »
Electronic distributors for the Mini are dirt cheap.  A complete distributor unit under $75 last time I looked - including a cap.   Probably even cheaper now.
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
2007 Triumph Bonneville
1992 Toyota LiteAce