1960 Austin 850 Project

Started by tsumini, May 22, 2014, 06:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsumini

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on January 16, 2019, 09:09:46 AM
These early cars are an absolute maze of different parts! I've never seen that heater valve for example, and I didn't know till I read Hugh's post about the early cars not having the stop nuts on the clutch arm.

You're really coming along now tsumini, keep up the good work! Will you be showing your car at Aspen/Snowmass this summer?

BTW tsumini, I really need a steering column for a MK1 for Clancy's Moke restoration, would you sell the one on your parts car?

my car also has the heater valve, drain valve, and no clutch stop

edit- the metal oil cap is an early car thing too

drmini

Quote from: tsumini on January 17, 2019, 09:32:10 PM
Just sent paypal Thanks Hugh
Thanks!  Since the needle is already off the speedo, if your speedometer already works I would just swap faces and needles.

tsumini

tsumini

jeff10049, Mine doen't have the early drain valve

tsumini

Jeff if you don't mind could you show how the choke is cable is routed and hooked up. I'm having some trouble getting it to return and adjusted. I suspect that maybe the torsion return spring on the carb is not put on right.

jeff10049

I will get pictures tomorrow morning and post them.

drmini

JEFF, in the photos I see what looks like a makeshift bonnet safety catch.  Is that something you fabricated?  AFAIK, there wasn't a safety catch until maybe 61?  Would like to see a better photo of that, and more info on it.

tsumini

drmini, speedo arrived yesterday rode hard and put away wet LOL but parts i needed are there and good. Thanks

jeff10049

my choke cable may not be correct I had a box of carbs and made one from parts but here is  picture of what I have.

jeff10049

Drmini my hood came open while driving did alot of damage it didnt have a catch when i got it but had some sort of bracket on it the blue part in the pic the black was just 20 gauge sheet metal I bent up temporary and used the springiness of the metal catch the front panel it was rivited to whatever that bracket was. It did not work that well I have since bought the later style and cut off what was on the hood in welded on the later style it works great.

tsumini

Hopefully getting done moving and fixing broken fragile antique furniture. I couldn't remember the thread but someone tipped us thaat Moss Motors were selleing mini windscrens for $105 so I checked it out and seemed legit so I ordered on with $19 S&H plus $35 oversize charge for $159 total. Got it yesterday and with an eyeball fitcheck looks like it may work.
Thanks to whoever for the tip.

MiniDave

That's a good deal on a windshield.....from MiniSpares they're about £35, plus about $100 shipping. The best way to do that is to get together with friends and buy several, cause the shipping is the same for 3 or 4 as it is for one....then your unit cost really goes down.

Car is really coming along, won't be long before you're driving it again!
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

Doing some interior work. First try putting together the headliner. Couldn't seem get the material tight. Flimsy frame. Doesn't look too good but the more I fiddled with it the worse I made it. So... is this good enough or do I need to take it apart and do it again? Will it tightened up when I install it in the car? What one goes in first. Couldn't seem to find this info. None of the "How to's" show this early headliner.

94touring

You can get it tighter.  But, having done a mk1 headliner, I can tell you it's a major pita and I couldn't get the perimeter where it loops over the ribs perfectly wrinkle free. And the new material is thicker than original, making it basically impossible to clip together in the center.  I yanked and pulled till I felt the frame would crush and called it good.

tsumini

Yeah, I'll have to peel it all back and re-do tweaking seems to make it worse. But that's par. I thyink I di9d everything on this car at least twice. 50.gif

jeff10049

I gave up and took the frames and fabric to an interior shop it is perfect but they fought it and I paid for it about 225 if I remember but I think it was worth it.
They had a very experienced guy on it for about 4 hrs I think the early ones are just hard to do.

It will shrink some with heat you might need too once it's in as installing the frames may squeeze them slightly and create small wrinkles.

make sure you don't pull the frames out of square at all even 1/8" with the fabric or it will not fit the car without adding massive wrinkles.

tsumini

Hmmm... that's what I was afraid of. can't be done (by me). BTW yours looks great. jealous.

94touring

Mine looked wrinkle free like that prior to the install and got a few wrinkles at the ribs by the perimeter once installed.

MiniDave

Think about the guys who installed those all day every day at the factory!  ::)

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

tsumini

I just wanted it one time; didn't want a career. 8.gif

jeff10049

Dan, did you try a heat gun after install? I used a hairdryer as not to overheat it and the after install wrinkles came out.

tsumini, you might be able to do it I just didn't have the patience to keep efing with it long enough or the soft trim experience to know the best way to go about it. I wish I would of watched the guy do it.

My instructions talked about stapling it and using clips on the edges I think. when I got it back there were zero staples or clips all done with glue and/or stitching.  still looks as good today as then so i guess they knew what they were doing.

BruceK

Quote from: jeff10049 on March 27, 2019, 09:53:35 PM
I gave up and took the frames and fabric to an interior shop it is perfect but they fought it and I paid for it about 225 if I remember but I think it was worth it.
They had a very experienced guy on it for about 4 hrs I think the early ones are just hard to do.

It will shrink some with heat you might need too once it's in as installing the frames may squeeze them slightly and create small wrinkles.

make sure you don't pull the frames out of square at all even 1/8" with the fabric or it will not fit the car without adding massive wrinkles.

No Mini ever left Longbridge with a headliner that good. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

tsumini

I unglued the front and re-did it. Tried to be more careful. pulling stretching tweaking. Didn't help so just decide to put it in the car the way it was. Not pretty. Tried hairdrier a little. May try it in the car. like jeff I kinda ran out of patience. At least I don't have to tear apart the car to correct it. Installing headliners has to be learned i believe.
Jeff I followed directions staples etc. The second time it ook staples out of one section and tried just glue but that didn't seem to help either. ::shrug::

MiniDave

The headliner is one of those areas I don't mind paying a guy to do it for me..... ::) 50.gif

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad