Project Old Dog

Started by sparetimetoys, April 17, 2014, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparetimetoys

Hi I figured this would be a great place to do a build thread. It's a very early 1960. I was going to go vtec with it but after research it's to early of one to kill. So we are just going to restore it.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

sparetimetoys

We got it home and put away to start figuring out or plan of action. First thing was build a work stand so its at a comfortable working height.

94touring

Welcome to the forum!   Great looking project!   Have you considered building a rotisserie?   If you need panels let me know.

sparetimetoys

Been sending photos to some guys on another page and we have came up with early Jan 1960 build. This is from glass code, lack of roof trim, FE, Body,and VIN numbers.

sparetimetoys

Quote from: 94touring on April 17, 2014, 03:26:35 PM
Welcome to the forum!   Great looking project!   Have you considered building a rotisserie?   If you need panels let me know.

Yea a rotisserie is in the future. Just wanted it at a comfortable work height for tear down. I figured once I get further along I would drive up to Tulsa from here in plano to get some parts and pointers.

94touring

Excellent, look forward to it.

Mudhen

Jan '60 - NICE!!  4.gif

Another mid-south-central-westerner...you guys are like flies around this place.  Gravitational pull of 94s shop is strong.

Welcome!

Pat

sparetimetoys

This should be the biggest nightmare of the project. 54 years of chopping and hacking on the harness. Then there is this....

jedduh01

Welcome to the Resto WOrld - We love pictures here!

Those are for sure 59/60 Doors with that drain hole in the rear!   A true mark of a 59/60 Car!

Jims5543

I am not sure if this is an improvement or destruction... I am leaning towards improvement.

Holy flashback!! Obviously a hack from the 60's.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: sparetimetoys on April 18, 2014, 05:14:39 AM
This should be the biggest nightmare of the project. 54 years of chopping and hacking on the harness.

That's the biggest opportunity to shine...imagine the difference a brand new cloth covered harness is going to make!

The harness in my '65 is just like that.  I've been dealing with it for 27 years - no sense replacing it and having an awesome looking harness next to all the other junk - will get replaced if I live long enough to restore the whole car.   ::)

sparetimetoys

Tonight I did a little exploration in the bad corner of the cowl. I'm sure the right wing is pitted past where its worth saving. I will need a patch panel for the corner of the cowl it's not all the way thru on any of it but wow is it pitted. I also cleaned off the FE, engine, and body Number for easier reading and future reference.   

94touring

Sounds like you're talking about the windscreen corner.   If they're questionable and the wings are off it's best to put in new. 

sparetimetoys

Quote from: 94touring on April 19, 2014, 07:35:33 PM
Sounds like you're talking about the windscreen corner.   If they're questionable and the wings are off it's best to put in new.

Yea that part of the cowl below the windshield and aft of the wing. I don't plan to take the left wing off but the right one is a goner.

pbraun

Nice project, worth saving!
Peter
65 Moke
60 Bugeye modified
66 Jaguar XJ13 ( I can wish )

sparetimetoys

So I did a little exploritary work with a da and some 3M disc pads on the worst spots that concerned me. I can save the cowl and there is a chance I can keep the wing also. I may have to weld in a couple spots after a quick hit with a descaler but nothing like I feared. Has anyone ever used that rust conversion spray the show on the car shows on TV?  I'm thinking that may be the key to keeping the wing.

94touring

My theory is if I can't remove it, it's still there.  Maybe try sand blasting or soda blasting the pitted areas with a homemade setup. 

sparetimetoys

For tonight's fun and games I decided to take the windshield out. Its the only glass on the car with out a 4th quarter of 59 date code. I figured if I was going to break one taking it out I would learn on it. After all aren't replacement windshields a little more acceptable. Ok on with the show. I used a box cutter and a small punch. When I first started I was just cutting the seal but when it cut the retainer it sounded like glass crunching. It was freaking me out so I got out a small punch and dug out the retainer. I then cut the seal and lifted out the glass. I pealed off the rest of the seal and was pleasantly surprised to find no rust.

sparetimetoys

Quick shots of windshield frame

94touring

Wow that is one old fillet strip.  Usually they just pull right out in one swift yank, then it's just a matter of cutting the rubber lip to remove the glass. 

sparetimetoys

Got home from work and took out the back window tonight. The log rubber was harder than the windshield was. Took about 20 min but its out and not broken  just a couple notes about what I found. The cover for the rear shelf went up under the gasket and I think it wicked moisture because where it was I have rust. The other thing is under the side trim between the side and rear windows there is foam rubber?  It had a black headliner and from what I have read they are all off white. So that could have been aftermarket. Anyway here is tonight's show.

sparetimetoys

Found this while surfing. This is my target look for our car.

Mudhen

Cool look!

What was the original color?

sparetimetoys

Quote from: Mudhen on April 24, 2014, 03:24:10 AM
Cool look!

What was the original color?

You can see it in some of the photos. It's that light blue sort of like the one in the photo.

sparetimetoys

Went out to the pate swap meet this morning and found this 10" wheel for $15. I grabbed it so I have a guide for size.   I got home and am doing some exploration with a sanding disc.  Front wing is going to be replaced along with the panel the door hinge bolts to. I'm just trying to find the end of the bad now.