Project Old Dog

Started by sparetimetoys, April 17, 2014, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparetimetoys

Had a helper in the garage today. She said she wants to help and learn. So I broke out the little DA and we mixed up some bondo. She said what if I mess up. I said we just fix it no big deal. 
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

94touring

You need to add one of these to your arsenal.  Ingersol Rand inline sander. 

sparetimetoys

Quote from: 94touring on June 09, 2014, 03:13:25 PM

It's around here in a box someplace :-[

94touring

I can't tell you how much easier it is to block sand with one of these.  Avoid the harbor freight ones, they break and break quick.  I invested in this and a couple boxes of the sanding paper strips that go for it.  Well worth it though. 

sparetimetoys

Yea back in my 914 days these made sanding those slab sides so nice. It was raining here today and I had about a quart of water in the compressor when we finished. I need to get a inline water separator for this one. I didn't need one in the old shop it was about 25 feet from the compressor in the house garage to the shop the line cooled the air enough then it went into a big air pig with all the taps on top and a little weep hole in the bottom.   I never had a moisture problem.

tsumini

Quote from: 94touring on June 09, 2014, 03:13:25 PM
FWIW Be careful I stuck my finger where it wasn't supposed to go (twice) and lost fingernails and pride.

sparetimetoys

Been out working on the door. I have some more low spots to redo.

sparetimetoys

Dumb ass rookie mistake outlined low spots to show the kiddo and forgot to revive marks before putting the bondo on. Bunch of bleed thru I have to get out before any paint.

sparetimetoys

While rearranging the garages today I had two rollers sort of. Also had to see the wheels on my car.

sparetimetoys

So while moving stuff around I failed to notice the dog making a run for it.  It couldn't have bumped into the truck any better.

94touring

Ha!  Did you say you're using the external hinges off the parts car?  If so, what was wrong with yours?

sparetimetoys

Quote from: 94touring on June 24, 2014, 02:12:06 PM
Ha!  Did you say you're using the external hinges off the parts car?  If so, what was wrong with yours?

Just the left side unless I can find the bushing kit. My left hinges have a ton of slop but they are the brass the parts car doesn't look to be brass. I left the right door on the car. But kept the Handles off the doors boot and ignition switch hoping I can get a key that works them all.

Mudhen

Quote from: sparetimetoys on June 24, 2014, 01:26:18 PM
So while moving stuff around I failed to notice the dog making a run for it.  It couldn't have bumped into the truck any better.

Definitely put in an insurance claim on it...hit it so hard the hood and grill disintegrated and the motor fell out!

MtyMous

This thing is on my trailer in OKC right now...

sparetimetoys

Glad to see you made it home ok.  After you left my back got worse so I went to the ER and got it checked.  They took x-rays and said nothing bad they think it's a pinched nerve or something along that line. But gave me good drugs to take.

MtyMous

Sorry to hear that. Maybe the drugs will be a plus.

94touring

Hey, before I forget, and I will forget, how soon do you need this door skinned? 

sparetimetoys

Anytime between oh say now and January will be fine.

94touring

sparetimetoys

No more red neck engine hoist!! 71.gif I found a real collapsible engine hoist about ten minutes from the house for dirt cheap. Now it lives in my garage 4.gif. I look forward to putting it to the test this weekend moving my engines out of the way so I can get back to work on the dog.

jeff10049

Quote from: sparetimetoys on June 04, 2014, 03:41:04 PM
My heratage cert came in today. My VIN and body number match. My engine is wrong # but I figured that out awhile ago. The car was speedwell blue with grey cloth. It was built on 12-Jan-1960 and shipped 21-Jan-1960 it's options we're a heater

Cool to see a couple more early cars getting restored on the site.
My car was built and shipped on the same days as yours. Also speedwell blue and gray cloth mine was a De-luxe would the gray cloth have been gray flek? I have been trying to figure that out for mine. Most my parts are 12 of 1959 date code.
the body number for mine is 10013.  Details of factory fitted equipment - heater

In case you wanted to know the signature on the heritage cert posted is Richard Bacchus.

Edit. By the way my vin ends with 12504 and my car has the slotted type drain holes are the drilled type early or later cars?

Any questions or pics you might need let me know.

Jeff

jeff10049

Just wanted too add that the code for speedwell blue in Diamont UNO single stage polyurethane paint is BU01.  Started painting the underside of mine yesterdayhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q7FmqBHmaY8/U9Q6B_Gk6XI/AAAAAAAAC9M/1XUF6CCaIvA/w725-h544-no/20140726_162936.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L8qWcarNdK0/U9Q6XpGGpmI/AAAAAAAAC98/5JlphzjonBk/w408-h544-no/20140726_163042.jpg

sparetimetoys

77.gif Wow how cool is that. We are just 24 cars apart. Thanks for the paint codes ill have to see if the little paint shop here in plano can match it. My car maverick got the drain slots cut in the front of the gutter. I havy the list of the updates and it didn't get many at all.  I'm going back stock other than the wheels I just don't like skinny tires and hubcaps.

tsumini

Quote from: jeff10049 on July 28, 2014, 12:23:46 AM
Just wanted too add that the code for speedwell blue in Diamont UNO single stage polyurethane paint is BU01.  Started painting the underside of mine yesterdayhttps://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Q7FmqBHmaY8/U9Q6B_Gk6XI/AAAAAAAAC9M/1XUF6CCaIvA/w725-h544-no/20140726_162936.jpg https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L8qWcarNdK0/U9Q6XpGGpmI/AAAAAAAAC98/5JlphzjonBk/w408-h544-no/20140726_163042.jpg

Jeff I have a 1960 Austin 850 built Jan 20,1960. I was looking at your first photo showing underside of floor. Is that the original floor or was it replaced? What do you use for plugging the two holes (about 2 in Dia?). I have six of these holes which were plugged using aluminum plugs which I can't find or referenced anywhere.

sparetimetoys

Quote from: tsumini on July 29, 2014, 10:23:01 AM
Quote from: jeff10049 on July 28, 2014, 12:23:46 AM

Jeff I have a 1960 Austin 850 built Jan 20,1960. I was looking at your first photo showing underside of floor. Is that the original floor or was it replaced? What do you use for plugging the two holes (about 2 in Dia?). I have six of these holes which were plugged using aluminum plugs which I can't find or referenced anywhere.

If we toss in Ricks that makes four of them with in just over a month of each other.