Project Old Dog

Started by sparetimetoys, April 17, 2014, 03:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparetimetoys

Today's project clean up old aircleaner a little quality time in the bead blaster and a coat of paint. Not concorse quality but I'm running it thru beritt Jackson either.
Home of Global Warmer Racing. Saving the smog one car at a time.

minifrisco

tsumini

Did you get/apply the decals? I asked a stupid question on another forum whether the Cooper S air cleaner was worth more than the standard aircleaner.  Found out the Brand name was Coopers. :-[

sparetimetoys

I didn't know it had decals there wasn't any evidence of any I saw.

tsumini

her's a pic of mine from '60 Morris.

sparetimetoys

I'll have to look into that.

jeff10049

Jeff I have a 1960 Austin 850 built Jan 20,1960. I was looking at your first photo showing underside of floor. Is that the original floor or was it replaced? What do you use for plugging the two holes (about 2 in Dia?). I have six of these holes which were plugged using aluminum plugs which I can't find or referenced anywhere.
[/quote]

Back floor is original front pans are new but correct I think. I was going to use the flexible plastic plugs shown here http://www.mcmaster.com/#sheet-metal-plugs/=t836kw to plug the holes on mine they have steel ones too but not aluminum that I could find. I'm going for a correct car but not too worried about the floor plugs being correct.

Jeff

sparetimetoys

Quote from: tsumini on August 06, 2014, 02:07:50 PM
her's a pic of mine from '60 Morris.

I emailed Coopers to see if they know anyone reproducing the placard.

jeff10049

I was lucky enough to save the print on my air cleaner I touched up the black around it and then cleared the whole thing came out nice. I think but not sure that it my have been screen printed on, could also have been a stamp.

Someone here restores the heater boxes and screen prints the text back on those. I don't know a lot about screen printing but I wonder if a small curved screen frame could be made to re print these?

Other option if you don't find a decal a local graphics shop could reproduce that printed on clear without much hassle or at least the ones around here could.

sparetimetoys

The one on eBay has different wording. I wonder if it changed after a couple of years?

tsumini

Come to think of it I think mine is screen printed. May try to touch it up.

sparetimetoys

I found a placard guy to make the coopers aircleaner placard. This is the proof photo he sent me. They will be on clear so the black from the aircleaner shows thru.

His web site is planbillustration.com  He should have them up in a week or so.

94touring

Ok one door skinned for you.  I even cleaned up the surface rust on the back of the lip and put a coat of paint on it for the next owner.   

sparetimetoys

Very cool looks great. Thanks.

94touring

Thanks.   Everything lined up, it was rather easy.

sparetimetoys

Yep she is a good old solid car.

94touring

Got the door in my car, got the box it needs to go in into my car, but with the door in the box I can't fit it in my car.  Trying to borrow a bigger boat to haul this to fedex.  I've got 3 inches too much....story of my life. 

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on September 16, 2014, 10:36:35 AM
Got the door in my car, got the box it needs to go in into my car, but with the door in the box I can't fit it in my car.  Trying to borrow a bigger boat to haul this to fedex.  I've got 3 inches too much....story of my life.

lol...dude, look through the top of the bifocals, not the bottom...

sparetimetoys

The door just got here looks great other than the corner the FedEx guy dropped the box on. Not a big deal about 10 / 15 min and it'll be good. Thanks much.

94touring

G d it!!!   50.gif.  It knocked back out ok though?   I insured it if it's a real problem.   

sparetimetoys

I got called back into work so ill see how it fixes Monday my next day off. It shouldn't be too bad.

94touring

What I might suggest is taking a thick piece if flat steel that's say 6x6 inches, lay it over the area and put a clamp on it to draw it up flush.  That's what I do when I crimp the lip with vice grips. 

sparetimetoys

Loaded the old dog on the trailer and down the road to McKinney she went to the new owners shop. I told him to keep you guys up to date and this us a good place for info and pointers.

minifrisco