There is a Kiwi in my Garage!

Started by jedduh01, April 14, 2014, 06:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedduh01

My personal Mini fleet is at MAX with Minis in home.  With our great local mini club, people ask and word gets out that I like to work on Mini's and have all the knowledge and resources. I currently have in the garage a small project.   But thought i would document  it here for the owner even to check out progress as it comes.

1976? ish NewZeland Mini 1000.  Overall  - VERY Solid car ... Few spots- Slightly strange .  Seems the LH side of the car was previously restored- but the RH side never touched. This is where some rot is present.  Outer Lower Rocker Sill.  Lower Fender edges.. but nothing huge.  Also in a previous life- Someone filled the roof gutters with - Putty?   and that has allowed water to creep in and under and cause some rust to build within the gutter.   Boot is solid.  Engine bay is solid . Floors are Very solid - Have had 1 RH side replacement floor installed- but no further replacement needed.

Agreed with the owner- he brought it to me MOSTLY disassembled - Driving shell... No interior Door glass removed.  My agreement is to fix up the HOLY parts-  Tend to the BUBBLY rust , and get the car in more of a solid from rust standpoint  The owner will then take the car for the final paintwork and  re spray as necessary. So basically on here - We wont see the final paintwork and such but ill provide updates regarding panel patching / Replacement and other updates for prep body fixing and work.

For panels - I already got the ones right off here from Dan -!!! great shipment - Panels look great ( i cant believe people complain about aftermarket panels... But they do)

Outer rocker ,  Lower Rear Dogleg , A Panel - Which were probably only replacing the lower 4 inches. 

Door gaps on this car are GREAT.
Some surface rust in the door sills-- treat and clean and seal. will be the path there.
Boot is Spotless.  Bubbly painted area at one fender seam - gladly its  solid underneath!

Gutters i think were rotty too because there are NO holes / gaps / releifs in the gutters for water to exit - Both front and rear... there is evidence of some holes welded up ... but needless to say - need a gap to drain water out.

For some pictures.

94touring

Cool a new project  4.gif.  Aftermarket panels work like a champ!

Willie_B

On my '75 NZ mini the gutter drains are slots. The front is 1 1/4" and the rear is 1". Placement is not too even between the sides so they may have been cut in the shell by hand with a cut-off wheel.

jedduh01

100% Wonderful Perfect picture of what should be there.

Thank you!

jedduh01

Moving along---

Who let all that rust out!!!!  Not to bad - the hole in the actual floor didnt get much larger. but there is ALOT of flake in there- Sitll solid - and plenty to work from

Previous discussions - and knowing how bad the factory jack point is - we settled to eliminate / remove the factory jack point from the rebuild.

There was a another neat hidden bracket up in the front of the rocker- "body : building" bracket were the chassis was sent down the assembly line- Once found those spotwelds to break loose the final pieces fell off.

We have a whole POR-15 gallon kit to put in the underside and treat the wheel arches- inner rockers- so i will be getting my hands dirty in that -  Overall    Going to clean up nice!

94touring

jetmechinnc

It seems comical when you say it's not that bad with all of the rust, It's very reassuring though.  I see the rust and think the worst.  I'm very grateful for the constant updates on my little Kiwi Mini though.  Also, here is a before and after of the front seats that my coworker did for me.  He rebuild the seats with new foam/springs/and leather.  He is currently finishing up the back seat and door panels to match.

94touring

Nice job on the seats!  Does he reupholstery for a living?   I'm curious how much he charges for covers if he does.

jetmechinnc

Quote from: 94touring on April 16, 2014, 06:12:35 AM
Nice job on the seats!  Does he reupholstery for a living?   I'm curious how much he charges for covers if he does.

Yes he does.  He works at my place of work, Atlantic Aero in Greensboro NC in the upholstery shop redoing seats, carpet, and sidewalls of corporate aircraft, plus he has his own shop at his house where he works on his own private projects like my Mini from redoing seats on boats, aircraft, motorcycles,and cars etc.  He isn't the fastest in doing his work since he juggles from the company work to his private jobs, but very skilled and fair priced especially if you are friends.  From French seams to vinyl to real leather he does it all and like my seats, total refoam and shape seats as you'd like.

94touring

I currently have a guy in the UK that makes the covers for me.  Shipping is a big obstacle there.   What kind of time frame would I be looking at?

jetmechinnc

Quote from: 94touring on April 16, 2014, 06:51:46 AM
I currently have a guy in the UK that makes the covers for me.  Shipping is a big obstacle there.   What kind of time frame would I be looking at?

A time frame would depend on how busy he is and the job at hand etc, but 30 days seems to be his norm in getting things done for everyone outside of work.  If we are slow at work, he can do things within in a week or two.  I know his shop just picked up work and have 3 citation X to refurbish, so he'll be busy for the next two months.  But he seems to always be willing to take on these side jobs.  He can do basically any color, shape, etc you need.  Mine are done with black leather and dark gray perforated leather with red piping.  He offered to do French Stitching, it's snazzier but more time consuming and costlier but I like the piping instead.  A bit more period specific. 

94touring

Pm me a price cause I'd be interested for sure. 

I fly into gso from time to time.  Is he on the Honda jet side?   

jetmechinnc

Quote from: 94touring on April 16, 2014, 07:21:07 AM
Pm me a price cause I'd be interested for sure. 

I fly into gso from time to time.  Is he on the Honda jet side?

PM sent to ya I think

Mudhen

Cool project Jedduh!!

When you say, 'get your hands dirty with POR' you're not kidding...the one time I used it without gloves will be my last.   :-[

Love it, though - man is it tough stuff.

Welcome aboard jetmechinnc!

Pat

jedduh01

Made some progress along the weekend in and out.

Side Panel  -  inner rocker repaired- and floor board patched.
    Inner rocker Por-15d to prevent inner rusting more.

Of course this is ground down now and alot smoother...

ALso got the underside well and clean - de greased - and wire brushed--- Started another fender under of Por-15 Treatment- and Floorboard where repaired .

This clearly taught me the benefits of quality brushes--- Using cheap 2$ disposables are great- but as soon as you invert the brush upsdie down--- the paint  from the bristles run inside the banding and out the band down your hand.. MESSY!!! but prepared for the mess.

Finally - just need to fit in the outer rocker sill panel

94touring

It's exciting to see my panels put to use!

jetmechinnc

Looking good, and getting excited to picking it up and having my coworkers paint it.  Guess I'll have to figure out how to take down and reinstall the headliner after I pull out the remaining windows so they can paint the car inside and out.  Then sound proofing install, new interior then I can finally drive it a bit till the engine gets a bit of refresh and new brakes all around.  Then last but not least, new 10X5 wheels when money allows instead of the current 10X3.5 wheels.

jedduh01

Now that is a Solid Outer Sill --

Por-15'd inside the installed panel box section too  --- I know some burned off while welding in - but better than nothing.

I also got more of the underbody Por'd, and parts of the boot.  == whew it gets everywhere.  While on my back- rolled over into a few drips--- arm is now splotchy--- This doesn't conform to Corporate Cubicle attire!

Working to get it done - so JetMechanic can take it back and get some final paints done.

We can discuss options about the headliner- They are not "enjoyable" and i think you can work around it leaving it mostly installed- _ with a good masking job.

jedduh01

More progress than shown in pictures- Once you start undercoating you gotta keep going.

Small repairs - front fender had a split- right where the flare attached -   Cut out - patched in new.

Finding a good layer of filler across the whole front end - Going to require some more filler to smooth back out.

- Inner door sill -   Also a bit rough  - also will rquire filler to smooth -but treated- and Por 15 to protect.

Have completed RH side undercoating- tyurned car around for LH side undercoating too

jedduh01

Spending good time with Kiwi- Getting things done.!

i think ive done enough on my back- Underside is por 15'd as well as can be done with full drivetrain installed. Full inner fenders and such YAY.

Moved back to working on the upper gutters-  Scraped out a bit more putty .
Set to fixing some blemishes in the gutter.

This chunk was mising from rot- cut it out

replaced with new.

also cut in - 4 corners 4 Aussie style drains like shown earlier.  About each corner also had to have a blemish repair in them too - Turned out well all around

Finally taped off- POR15'd the inside of the gutter to realy seal it all back up.

94touring

jetmechinnc

Great job, I just can't tell you how happy and excited I am with all of the progress you've made in such a short time.  With the prep time as needed, I'm sure all of your hard work will show off in the upcoming great paint job little Kiwi is going to get as soon as I can manage it. 

jedduh01

So the "Jet Mechanic" Took his car back yesterday - I feel like it is a better " more solid state than when it arrived. From the beginning i said it would be UGLIER than when he left it and that for sure was concluded.

Now its in his hands for the paint finals -  Got to see one of the seats in person  :-\ Simply Wonderful awesome job.

The car runs like poop right now -  I put My moke carburator on his engine - and almost purre'd like a Kitten... Jet also has a new SU - Stage 1 Kit with exhaust ready to go on -  I advised- Go ahead with the carb + exhaust -  get the car running well--- and have the motovation to DRIVE IT when its Pretty Pretty!

Goodluck JetMechanic!

jetmechinnc

Here is an update on my little Kiwi, The guys I was having paint my car, bailed, but instead just told me what to do so I had to do it myself after I bought all of the supplies to begin with.  First time painting and it seemed to go very well.  Sanded car with 220 all the way down to metal, then PPG paint using epoxy primer, then K36 sandable primer, then Omni Plus base paint, and finally DCU2021 clear coat.  Topped it off with dynamat extreme throughout the car.

jetmechinnc