A new game... Post pics from your cel phone V.1.0

Started by Jims5543, March 10, 2014, 07:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

That new bike is kick ass!!

I am trying to get the pool to 90° but cannot get over 89°.  I had a friend ask, 90°?  I said yes, the Caribbean down here hits 90 in the summer. We have grown fond of that. 90 is good, it reduces George Costanza shrinkage and encourages late night skinny dipping.   ;D

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Old Blue out in the wild...

She now has 230K miles on her.  You're my boy Blue!! 

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

My wife is "dog" sitting her moms rat.  It kept me up all night whining because we will not let it sleep in our bed. I do not like it very much right now.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on April 09, 2015, 02:30:48 PM
My wife is "dog" sitting her moms rat.  It kept me up all night whining because we will not let it sleep in our bed. I do not like it very much right now.

I think you could have just described it - nobody needs to see a pic.

Lulu, on the other hand...

Ok, well, everyone thinks their puppy is good looking...

Jims5543

Lulu is cute what kind of dog?

No, a picture of that rat was not necessary, I felt I needed to share the misery.

Mudhen

She's a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon.  Bred to be a bird dog; but really laid back.  They're supposed to be 'close hunters' - they don't run big like German Shorthaired Pointers and the other high strung hunting dogs - she stays close.

94touring

Toronto gate agent: can we board at 8?
Me: 815
Her: 8
Me: bring me some chocolate and let's talk

We bartered 805 and this chocolate. I like being captain.

Mudhen

Your hand looks disgusting!

All clean like that...not a spot of paint or Mini grease to be seen.  A sad day.   :(

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on April 11, 2015, 09:59:14 AM
Toronto gate agent: can we board at 8?
Me: 815
Her: 8
Me: bring me some chocolate and let's talk

We bartered 805 and this chocolate. I like being captain.

LOL!! It is good to be the king.

Jims5543

This was not completely unexpected we had planned on changing out our HVAC this past winter then decided to push it off to next winter. The Compressor had a different idea and forced our hand to do something now.

Out with the old.. 11 seer single stage 2.5 ton

In with the new 17 seer dual stage 3 ton..

What I learned this week AC companies are not bullshitting you when they say to have the system serviced once a year. My friend did my install at his cost* and showed me why you want them to come once a year.

This is my old air handler, the ice is a result of the freon being low in the system, even after a charge the system leaked down over a few days.

When they come to service the system, they check the freon level, they clean the coils on the air handler and the coils on the compressor.

Look at all the funk on this air handler. This is what it looks like when you do not service one for 15 years.

Lesson learned, I need to clean my drain line every 6 months and have a full service once a year.

I am excited to see how much this drops my electric bill. We were at $330 a month. We are hoping to drop down to $180.

* First person to come through for me locally. I did a survey for the owner of a cabinet company (FIL's Boss)  for his home for free, he added a garage to the property. I also surveyed their $2 mil commercial shop for about 1/3 the cost. I had hoped when it came time for me to remodel my kitchen he would return the favor.

No dice, he was 20% more expensive with 50% less quality of product. I was losing faith in humanity.

My A/C buddy (who used to be an employee when he was in his teens) Dan came through for me.

Mudhen

Sheeut...we're pushing 10 years now and have never had anyone in to look at ours x2...  ::)

MiniDave

You can do everything except check the freon yourself.....you need to wash down the coil outside and blow out any accumulated leaves, then check the drain line for the inside unit. You can buy an inexpensive spray that will keep any mold from forming on the A-coil, it also cleans the aluminum for better heat transfer - you just spritz it on, let it sit and then rinse it off....it also smells pretty good.

A good system should not need recharging every year with freon.

BTW, that white stuff on the old A-coil is ice, caused by low freon, so you definitely had a leak. They tell me modern A/C units are good for about 5 years now, because they make them so cheaply. When I had my 30 year old A-coil changed out, it weighed 2 1/2 times as much as the new one, and it was the same exact size - just due to the difference in quality of the materials used - both had copper tubing, but the old one was substantially thicker.

However, there have been substantial gains in energy efficiency..... since I changed out the A/C unit, my monthly summer cost did drop almost in half, and that was in the face of rising electricity costs in our area, so it's worth it - plus it cools the house so nicely.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on April 15, 2015, 08:35:32 AM
You can do everything except check the freon yourself.....you need to wash down the coil outside and blow out any accumulated leaves, then check the drain line for the inside unit. You can buy an inexpensive spray that will keep any mold from forming on the A-coil, it also cleans the aluminum for better heat transfer - you just spritz it on, let it sit and then rinse it off....it also smells pretty good.

A good system should not need recharging every year with freon.

BTW, that white stuff on the old A-coil is ice, caused by low freon, so you definitely had a leak. They tell me modern A/C units are good for about 5 years now, because they make them so cheaply. When I had my 30 year old A-coil changed out, it weighed 2 1/2 times as much as the new one, and it was the same exact size - just due to the difference in quality of the materials used - both had copper tubing, but the old one was substantially thicker.

However, there have been substantial gains in energy efficiency..... since I changed out the A/C unit, my monthly summer cost did drop almost in half, and that was in the face of rising electricity costs in our area, so it's worth it - plus it cools the house so nicely.

Yes, I mention the ice above, it is part of the reason for a new system, suddenly my compressor started running non stop and we would fall behind by 11 in the morning and not recover until 11 at night. So my compressor was running 12 hours straight.  This was about a month ago, so my friend checked it and it was low on freon, he charged it and it did better, still ran a really long time before it got the job done. Then after 2 weeks back to the same.

We are hitting mid 90's already here so we kind of need it functioning again. Heat index today was over 100. I can say last night was delightful, first time in months the house did not feel clammy inside and was actually very refreshing.

Oh and +1 you can the yearly service yourself. You just need to open the air handler, clear the drain line, wash off the coils and then go out to the compressor and do the same. I went almost 15 years not needing freon. So I would imagine you could have that checked every few years.

My buddy told me just to feed him beer and he will come do the service for free. I cannot beat that price.

Jims5543

Drove the battle wagon to Orlando last night. This parked next to me, it made my pants tight.

Wore my Deadmau5 shirt to the land of the evil rat.

This drawbridge is my nemesis. Every time I approach itthe damn thing opens.

94touring

Walked down the jet bridge and found my seat like this..

Jims5543

Looks very furry, I bet it holds a fart in really good.

Oh and not a good sign, did you actually depart on time?

Willie_B

94touring

Lol funny.  We left 20 late but I made up 15 minutes en route. Full power all the way!

Merlin

I think this one should be in the drunk thread. YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICOOOO!
Engineering the Impossible

tsumini

At Texas world speedway college station. T shirt with farewell to TWS . It is sing re- developed into new homes. Shutdown about June this year. Tons of cars here.parking full. Lotsa rain. Quagmire.
Son got hit in side And run off track at turn 2. Moderate damage but full of mud. Not exactly good weekend for him. keep getting distracted instead of working on mini. ::Sigh::

Jims5543

Worked on both the cars this morning. Here they are all washed up and tucked away.

I did some work on both of them..  summer in Florida in my garage.

MiniDave

Man, I'd have to have A/C to work in a garage in Florida - I can't work in that kind of heat. We have the same summer temps and humidity as you do, so I DO have A/C in my shop.....I only have to use it occasionally tho - but when I need it it's nice to have.

I just put the biggest window unit in I could find for reasonable money (25K BTU), and it has heat too for those few times I need to take the chill off. You can see it in this pic....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I do not mind hot, I hate cold, I noticed it was a tad warm in the garage but did not anticipate 96°. I was surprised by that temp to be honest, I did not think it was that hot.

Yeah, when I do the engine swap, I am going to AC the garage in order to keep my patience.