1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtyMous

Haha

Jims5543

I wish! I have adjusted the valve clearence on this truck at least 5 times in 500 miles. Lol!!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2014, 04:45:22 PM
You get that water temp working?

Yep, see back a couple of posts. I squeezed my hand behind the alternator and pushed the wire back on. It works and if correct runs nice and cool. Our ambient temps are in the low 80's right now. 
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I saw it hooked up  4.gif. Figured with your luck it still didn't work though lol

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2014, 08:19:56 PM
I saw it hooked up  4.gif. Figured with your luck it still didn't work though lol

Ouch.

:D

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on December 30, 2014, 08:19:56 PM

Well, I thought that too. But it appears to be working fine. She is parked today, it is terrible out so she gets a break. We have a "cold front" moving through. So upper 70's instead of 80's.

94touring

Yeah it's been literally freezing everywhere I've been. 

Mudhen

It was 10 here this morning.  I hate being cold almost as much as I hate hearing the furnace come on.   50.gif

Jims5543

I grew up in New England, do not miss it at all. People down here in Florida moan about lack of seasons, I do not, I get pissed if it get cooler than 65° here.  I am most happy in 100° weather.

If I have to spell it out, hotter means less clothing. Think about it, you never say, wow she looks hot in that parka.  In a bikini? yes, not a Parka.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on January 02, 2015, 07:01:51 AM
I grew up in New England, do not miss it at all. People down here in Florida moan about lack of seasons, I do not, I get pissed if it get cooler than 65° here.  I am most happy in 100° weather.

If I have to spell it out, hotter means less clothing. Think about it, you never say, wow she looks hot in that parka.  In a bikini? yes, not a Parka.

:D

Whereabouts did you grow up?

Jims5543

Born in Nassau County Long Island (Islip) Grew up in Mineola (very close to New Hyde Park) then when I was 10 years old moved out to Shirley / Mastic area near the Hamptons.

Moved to Florida when I was 18 and wished I grew up here, took the summer I was 19 off and spent it surfing.  At 18 I was smart enough to know cold sucks.

MiniDave

So Jim,  I just read thru your whole thread and noticed no one answered you early on when you asked the question about the float having liquid in it......and the answer is no - it should not have fluid in it, and that was the source of your flooding problem. It takes a bit for the float to fill, and when you took it out of the carb when you were changing the jet some of it evaporated out again.

Now that you're on top of things, are you going to keep it?

I have a friend with a similar P'up, red with the olde English white top too, only he has a Honda Vtec motor in it. One of the reasons he bought it was for the Honda reliability.......hahahahaha, what he didn't count on was the fact that the rest of the car was still vintage Mini! In spite of everything (and there has been a LOT of everythings) he's done 18K miles in the 6 years he's had it.

Anyway, I hope you persevere and keep your little trucklet.
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

I have a brand new carb now so to old float is gone. I figured it was supposed to be dry inside and yes, it was the source of one of my "car almost caught fire" moments.

She seems to be very happy right now, which in turn, make me happy. I have been actually depending on her a lot these last 2 weeks since my son has my normal daily driver (95 Toyota Pickup) while he waits for a part for his E30 to arrive. You think Mini parts are a PITA, E30 parts can be just as bad, Turner Motorsports and Bav Auto are notorious for taking forever to ship a part.  It took him 2 months to get a radiator once and it was nothing fancy, a stock one. We are waiting for a mid driveshaft support bearing, something he could have purchased at Autozone but he thinks that Bav has a better one. So we wait for almost 3 weeks.

The Mini truck is running well, my confidence in it is ever increasing. I wish I could get the wife on board, I wanted to use it to go out the other night and she refused telling me she was not in a mood to be broken down somewhere. I know how she feels but I feel like I am back on top of this thing.

Once we get our shop up and going I am planning on doing some more mechanical work to her as a preventative measure.

Mudhen

Assume BavAuto and Turners are only taking forever to ship because they don't actually have the part themselves - but if you ever need me to go in there with a pipe or something let me know - they're both local to me.  I've used both for MINI parts in the past...I particularly like to use Turners junk pile to keep my car on the road.  77.gif

94touring

Glad your confidence is building back up!

Jims5543

Quote from: MtyMous on December 29, 2014, 11:35:40 PM
They do make a silicon valve cover gasket. I have 2 in my garage safely set aside.

http://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/manufacturer/12-gasket-innovations?page=2

Ordered on December 30th and they just created the shipping label today, 7 days later.  It seems every part supplier has the same customer service SOP.  Wait 1-2 weeks to ship the part, the customer did not REALLY need it.

No wonder Amazon is crushing everyone.

Jims5543

The clock in my dash only runs when the car is running. LOL!! that said I have now put over 4 hours of driving time in with her so far this week.

I used her in the field today and yesterday and will again tomorrow.  I have put probably 300 miles on her since Friday last week.

The more I drive her the happier she seems.

Mudhen

71.gif

That's the coolest rig.  I want one.

94touring

Awesome man.  300 miles...time to put gas in lol. 

MiniDave

I preach this non stop to all classic car owners......they're cars, they were meant to be driven not sit in a garage.

How do you like the tonneau cover now that you've lived with it a bit?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

I preach this non stop to all classic car owners......they're cars, they were meant to be driven not sit in a garage.

I am a huge fan of the ARE fiberglass tonneau covers that hinge by the cab and lock down. I have put them on all my pickup trucks. Sadly they do not make them for Mini Cooper Pickups.

This one was custom made, I wish he had put the sides over the rails instead of stopping at the top of the rail. It would have hid the holes from the turn buckles better.

All that said, I like it, it is somewhat of a PITA when you are in and out all the time but it keeps stuff dry when it rains and comes off in a jiffy when I want to haul stuff around so it is doing its job.

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on January 07, 2015, 12:14:59 PM

Oops and yes, you are preaching to the choir. I am in the same camp with driving cars. I always drive mine and the only reason this one sat so much is because it had a lot of neglect issues that all reared their head as I tried to use her.

Jims5543

Finally!!! The gasket arrived, it only took 11 or 12 days to get it.

I just permatexed it to the cover and now it is finger tight on the engine.

I will clamp it down in the morning and hopefully no leaks.

MiniDave

I'll be interested to see if this does the trick, before I send $15 for a freakin valve cover gasket!  ;D

In the past I've had good luck with a fresh cork gasket carefully glued to my aluminum valve cover, and that's what I'm running on Buzz now So far, so good, and I've had it on and off a number of times to re-torque the head and adjust the valves etc.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad