1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

New Carb has jet from old carb now. It was a rather simple swap.

It took about 6 test fits and re-shimming to get these rockers happy. They are in and now I am about to gap them. Hopefully I can take her for a test spin tomorrow.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Jims5543

I took it for a test spin and she was shaky. I am not 100% sure what is going on.

I pulled a spark plug ans it was still light grey so I turned it out a good turn and a half. I have not had a chance to drive it yet since then.

I am sure of one thing though, I am staying close to the house. I thought I was going to need a tow again, 2 miles from the house.

She was losing power, intermittently. So I have decided to change the fuel filter Friday and see if that does it.

Then maybe the fuel pump too. I need to bone up on where it is. Hoping to just drop in a generic replacement pump. I hear it coming from the fuel tank so I am guessing I need to drop the tank and open it up. Off to read up on that one.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MPlayle

Fuel pump is NOT in the tank.  No need to drop it.  The fuel pump should be mounted on (or near) one side of the rear subframe just a little in front of the tank.  Typically, they are mounted on the left inner side of the rear subframe for the electric fuel pumps.

Mechanical fuel pumps are on the back left side of the engine.

Jims5543

I might have to put this truck up for sale.  So this is a feeler out to the Restoration Mini crew.

I paid 12K for it, I have over $1000 in parts into it so far, new carb, new 1.5 rockers, 123 dizzy as well as a load of new parts yet to be put on and will be included with it.

I am asking what I paid, $12K.

Pics all through this thread and I will take more this weekend and make a formal ad on here and mini mania.

I do not have time at this point in my life for this project and it is frustrating letting it sit and not having time to do simple tasks.

I love this little truck and maybe a few years from now I will get another one but, for now I think it is best to sell it and let someone actually enjoy it rather than hording it.

Kind of bummed about doing this but it is stupid to have this poor truck just sitting.

94touring

Do I need to come down there and help you get this thing running?   

94touring

Mudhen

Remember, this is not an RX8...or any modern car that gets fixed with a quick dose of OBD2 magic...

It's just a fun project - you get to use it for a day?  AWESOME!  you don't?  You get to work on it - AWESOME!

I'd say keep it and try to enjoy just plugging along with it...(actually, I just enjoy your posts because it seems like you're just a few years ahead of me with the kids so I can use your experience  :-))...plus I've had my old Mini for 26 years and since you've had the pickup you've probably gotten to use it twice as much as I have!

And your wife is hot.

There, I said it.

DO NOT SELL THAT TRUCK.  (but I understand if you do... :( )

Pat

Jims5543

I laid in bed from 5:30 on wide awake, pissed off and anxious. So I got dressed and headed to the garage and re-adjusted the valves. They were making too much noise and I found about 3 that were out of specs.

I am having a cup of coffee then heading back out to install a new fuel filter.

I am still running too lean but getting better I gave the nut another 1/2 turn out.

If I keep this truck I am going to send it out and have the engine rebuilt. I would love to do it myself but I hoestly do not have the time.

I have to go pick up the new tires mounted on my stock rims from the Mazda dealership this morning. It is about a 7 mile drive. Going to take the Mini and see if it can make it 14 miles.

I find myself walking past it and not wanting to drive it because I am not in the mood to break down agai .

In the few short 2-3 mile drives I have taken with it, it seems to be running fine now. I think the loss of power was a result of it running too lean.

I am very frustrated right now. I have never seen a car be such a basket case since owning an Audi.

Jims5543

Jims5543

This is the kind of stuff that makes me nuts. When I get to the fuel filter I find the cheapest POS money can buy on the car. It now sports a very nice filter.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 20, 2014, 06:12:35 AM
If I keep this truck I am going to send it out and have the engine rebuilt. I would love to do it myself but I hoestly do not have the time.

What about bringing it somewhere now just to deal with the current issues?  I've taken mine to a local shop a couple times to bail me out when I've gotten stuck - nothing like having professionals who have seen it all to get things fixed up quickly.

Quote from: Jims5543 on December 20, 2014, 06:12:35 AM
I am very frustrated right now. I have never seen a car be such a basket case since owning an Audi.

:D

94touring

Looks like it's a hair lean still.  One is getting some oil on it.  Did you get my email about coming out to lend a hand?

Jims5543

Yes I got your email and it is not necessary.

Time is my problem. I spent some time on it this morning. Either I am too picky or I just do not know how to adjust Mini rockers. E30 BMW rockers no problem. It just seems way too noisy to me. Video in a minute.

94touring

They will be kinda loud.  Fwiw dual carbs are truckier to setup.   Keep giving yourself a turn at a time on the fuel till it starts to pull hard.   I wouldn't be concerned if you get a little oil seepage if that one is in fact oily.  If you go too rich you'll foul them out and break down too.  Ask me how I know.

Jims5543

MtyMous

Honestly, it doesn't sound crazy loud to me compared to some other minis I've heard. haha. But be sure it's not fouling the back of the valve cover.

94touring

Sounds normal to me dude.  Get your fuel adjusted and enjoy it!   62.gif

Jims5543

I drove it to the pool store and back today, what sucks is I completely do not trust it anymore, while I feel like I have addressed all the issues, there seems to be something I overlooked.

She is a little laggy down low but perks up once you get the revs up. Pulls nice and hard, no back fires, no loss of power, she seems to be o.k.

I am going to continue to take her on short drives and keep messing with the carb and see if I can make her a little happier.

I may also reread the 123 dizzy info and see if maybe I should have a better timing curve selected, there IIRC there were 3 that I could use.

Thanks for the encouragement guy, I have to admit, I have been pretty bummed and having a hard time justifying keeping a car in the garage that I never drive. Plus with the E30 coming next month I am going to spending some time on that and will not have as much time for the mini.

Also, my son and I have an upstart company idea we are exploring and implementing, word on that as soon as it becomes reality.

94touring

Good deal.  Yes take a look at the settings on the 123 and see if it can be adjusted.  If it's laggy down low timing may be an issue.  Or you could still be a hair lean.  When you setup the 123 did you twist the thing till the green light came on and all of that mess?   

Jims5543

I almost walked past the old girl this morning and decided to say Eff it..... I loaded her up with my surveying equipment and took her to work today. She ran like a top. I put quite a few miles on her today too.

So 2 problems are apparent actually 3....

1. The fuel gauge is flaky.

2. The temp gauge does not work.

3. I can find 5 more oil pressure by tapping on the gauge.  A serious wtf moment.

Speaking of which see 20-25 psi cruising at 40 mph. At idle I see 10-15.

Accurate?  Probably not. Gonna try to spend some time tomorrow morning on it.

94touring

Ah!  Maybe all that rubber debris you had has clogged up the gauge/lines!   The fuel sending units tend to be hit or miss.  What happens is the metal wire band on the sensor rust and gives dead spots, or the float gets flooded and doesn't float.   The water temp gauge may need to be grounded/power supply, or the sensor is bad, or the gauge itself.   

Tim

I had some trouble with my oil pressure in the past.  After asking lots of questions, I was told that 12-15 PSI is fine at idle.  Mine jumps to 50 under power though (can't remember accurately right now - middle of the winter up here, so no chance to take the mini out to work...  bummer.. ::))

Tim

Jims5543

And it is dead again. I started it up this morning and backed it out of the garage. I noticed it was running rough but figured it was due to being cold. Then it kept running worse and worse and died. Will not restart. Dead in driveway. Sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders. So after running fine all day Friday out of nowhere it is dead again.

94touring

Jebus.  Was it cold outside?   Did you have the choke pulled?   What do your ground wire contact points look like?  Both on the engine and battery.   There surely is something very simply causing this thing to sporadically act up.