1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Extra parts finally arrived, I just need some cotter pins which can be purchased at the corner hardware store.

Here is a pic of the rockers and extra parts, I needed to buy spacers and shims to align the rockers and end washers to lock it in place.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Mudhen

WTF...comes as a pile of parts???  I thought they'd just come ready to bolt on...

jedduh01

Congrats on the progress---

But i must ask - after all this headache- why not build up a "standard" set of rockers... Half the cost  and twice as fast back on the road...

Well - actually - I was just in South Florida this past Labor weekend.. yea -  i wouldnt be driving any NON AC Car for these months till late sept at this point!! so 

MODIFY ON!!! and enjoy....

Jims5543

The replacement rocker arrived today, the irony on the envelope was almost overwhelming.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Broke down again, at least this time is was 10 feet from the garage as I was backing out.  The float was full of gas, stuck in the down position and the bowl was puking gas all over the place.

At least this time I did not get far.

I just said fuck it and ordered an entire new HS4 Carb from Mini Mania, I am leaving for Key West in 4 days for a long weekend with Mrs.5543 so I will deal with this when I get back.

Not sure if the carb will come set initially any tips on where to set the jet?

Oh, and the rockers are still not in, I just have not had time to tear her down and install. Plus I am really tired of gapping the valves.

Jims5543

Carb is finally here, everything takes so long to get....

I have a somewhat free weekend. So I hope to play car and get this sucker sorted.

94touring

Jims5543

New carb is installed. She fired right up and purred. Set idle this evening test driving in morning.

Not sure when new rockers will get installed. Not in the mood right meow.

Mudhen

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on September 27, 2014, 03:55:43 AM
4.gif

Carb is gorgeous...

Lol!  I said the same thing when I unpacked it. There was a note on the box to add oil to the dashpot. It saod to add 3 oz.  I measured off the correct amount and after 1 oz. It overflowed!!! I might have to pull it and drain it now.

94touring

I use atf fluid.   Just did these dual carbs.   No real science, just fill it up.   Too much doesn't hurt, it just shoots out the top and self levels.

Jims5543

Pulled a spark plug this evening after driving her some and it was very light grey, I gave the jet 3-4 flats out to see if that is rich enough.

I did notice a lack of power driving.  I took her to the office this afternoon and then to the Gastropub for a draft, she created quite the stir with the staff and clients. An impromptu car show ensued in the parking lot.

I hope to have time to drive her again tomorrow and see if my adjustment helped.

94touring

Jims5543

Still trying to tune the carb.  What is my plug telling me?

I made it a little richer this evening after looking at this plug. Mostly because she feels down on power and lacks throttle response. I hope to be able to take her for a spin tomorrow and see if my adjustment has helped. I gave her 1 full torn out.

94touring

Are you hitting a flat spot in the power band?   If anything your plug indicates lean.

Jims5543

2 days of horrible weather = no fun cars. Old Blue gets to beat through the suck.

I have a busy day tomorrow, then preparation for an AX on Saturday @ Sebring plus an Stealership oil change on Thursday afternoon.  As well as 2 days of extremely shitty weather. So test drives have been postponed until Friday.

Jims5543

OK, I now have the carb jet / needle adjusted as far out as it will go. So I am dealing with two scenarios here:

1. I am adjusting out and should be adjusting in.

2. There are different jets and I need to put in a bigger one

I am still running lean there is no more adjustment to make I am pegged.

Frustrating. Thank go I still have the old carb so I can swap the jet off of that. Which is my plan on Sunday.

94touring

Hmm.  Are they the same carbs?  Does it run better with the choke pulled?  The choke should pull it further out, and in turn give you more fuel.  However if you have it turned all the way out, it may not matter.  Or maybe it's the needle. 

94touring

Oh...do you have a vacuum line going to the dizzy on that thing and is it hooked up?

Jims5543

Same exact carb.
Vacuum line hooked up.
Yes, if I pull the choke it runs better.

MPlayle

It will need a richer needle.  You will have to carefully lift off the dashpot and piston to get at the needle and check what the letter code is on the current needle.  You will likely want a richer, yet similar profile as to what is currently there.

To determine the current profile use the 0.090" section of the SU needle website linked below.  That site will also let you compare that profile with up to 5 others at the same time.  Look on your favorite supplier site (Seven Enterprises, Mini Spares, Mini Mania, etc.) for what selection of HS-4 (0.090" jet) needles they have in stock and plug in to the needle comparison site to compare the profiles and select the one(s) you want to order and try.

SU Needle site:

http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/suneedle

Jims5543

Crazy thought here, why not swap the needle off the old carb onto the new one? The old carb was fine except for deteriorating bits and pieces, the needle should be fine.

94touring

MPlayle

That would be a good start.  I would make a note of the markings on both needles, just be careful to remember which came from which carb so swap them as intended.  Then enter both needles into the comparison site and print the result for reference.