1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

It's my understanding they no longer make them.   I guess you could shop for one that's the same size and try to retro fit, jb weld, or find a shop that can repair it.

Tim

If it is an original Mini AC unit, you could try Rudy at 'Mr. Grean' in Ontario (Canada).  He breaks down Japanese Mini's all the time and would probably have a few AC parts around.  It's worth a try...

http://mr-grean.com/details.php?id=3156&i=0&t=usedPart

Tim.

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on June 08, 2014, 04:51:09 PM
Sucks, I think most of us have been right there with you at some point, though.  It will get better!

(only kidding, it won't, but don't want you to defect so soon into your ownership  71.gif )

I am not giving up, I plan on keeping this little truck for a long long time.

I just wonder if it will ever be dependable?  It gets frustrating when it takes over a week or sometimes 3 weeks to get simple parts, only to find out there were variations in the car and you never really know if you are getting the right part.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

My piece o crap truck was my daily driver.  My ex wife daily drove the other mini.  They do better when used on a regular basis once you get the growing pains out of the way.

Jims5543

I have always maintained cars are meant to be driven, the problems start when you let them sit too long. No car I have ever site more than a week.... well, the damn mini has been parked for almost a month now.    ;D   Oops I meant..   :(

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

Quote from: Tim on June 11, 2014, 07:01:17 PM
If it is an original Mini AC unit, you could try Rudy at 'Mr. Grean' in Ontario (Canada).  He breaks down Japanese Mini's all the time and would probably have a few AC parts around.  It's worth a try...

http://mr-grean.com/details.php?id=3156&i=0&t=usedPart

Tim.

Thank you, going to take some detailed pics and shoot him an email.  If he has one I will grab 2.   ;D

Nicholasupton

If mr green does not have one I have a spare from the last jdm front clip I took apart.

94touring

Jim you'll get there buddy.   My truck has been parked for 7 years.   Every mini I tear into inevitable takes longer than planned due to extra parts being required.

Jims5543

Ordered a 9142 and got it today.... it is the same as the wrong one.... mother....

In a fit of rage, I tore all 3 that I had in my possession apart and made 1 of the one I need. The carb is somewhat back together and in the truck again.

I am still working on the new fuel line routing and heat shield, should have that done this weekend if the weather is bad, if it is nice I will be submerged most of it.

94touring

Wow, still wrong!   That sucks  :-[   what was involved with modifying what you have? 

Jims5543

I used the old one, I pulled the brass fitting off removed what was left of the rotting hose, then did the same with the new one putting the new hose on the old jet.

Jims5543

94touring

Sounds pretty smooth in the video.  I guess your fab job on the jet is holding up just fine?   77.gif   Did  you have to recrimp anything?  What about the rocker bolts?

Jims5543

Got up at 6:00 and took a ride to the beach for a sunrise. She is hesitating down low but pulls likes a raped ape up high.

Drove her for a good 30 minutes this morning when I got home I popped the hood and checked around. No gas leaks. Just have to figure out the hesitation. I may have a vacuum leak.

94touring

Jims5543

Another pics because pics are fun. This is The House of Refuge. These were set up in the 1800's along the Florida coast and served as a safe place for shipwrecked sailers to go.  This is one of the remaining locations and is a museum now.

94touring

Straighten the spot lights!   Lol

Jims5543

I did see top.pic. it will not stay.put and I cannot figure out how to tighten it.

MtyMous

Did some quick editing just to try and show off the car a bit more. Love the shots though.

Jims5543

Gratzi!! I will save those when I get home.

94touring

You should see a bolt with possibly a hex end that is used to tighten the spot lamps.

jedduh01

Quote from: Jims5543 on June 15, 2014, 04:40:32 AM

Got up at 6:00 and took a ride to the beach for a sunrise. She is hesitating down low but pulls likes a raped ape up high.

Drove her for a good 30 minutes this morning when I got home I popped the hood and checked around. No gas leaks. Just have to figure out the hesitation. I may have a vacuum leak.

Congrats on running again - making changes may require a few more changes-- I would start with Richening the carb a few flats = 2 or 3 flats and see what that does for your Hesitation.

Since you were in the carb - make sure your dashpot oil is right and dampens properly thru the stroke.

Goodluck!

Jims5543

Funny you should post that, I am going to pull the plugs tomorrow and see if she is running lean or rich.

Which way do I turn to richen?  I can look it up but I am lazy / busy and need to get some work done.

Another problem has reared its head, I lost all function in the gas and temp gauges.

Tips before I hit the shop manual?

Dan, there are no hex nuts, they are smooth on the outside.

This is the guilty fog light.

jedduh01

To Richen / Lean carb...  Easy to do- but hard to explain...

Suprisingly simple link here - http://www.howacarworks.com/fuel-systems/adjusting-an-su-carburettor

The jet you installed needs to move DOWN to richen the mixture just a bit.

Just above where the jet inserts into the carb - is a large nut - that has a solid spring that presses against it (keeps it from turning)   when you say adjust a few Flats-- its Flats on that Nut that you' are counting.

With the carb on the car - you can reach your hand under the carb and feel the nut to turn-- you want to turn that nut 2 -3 Flats -- CLOCKWISE  ( effectively , unscrewing - lowering thejet just a wee bit lower on the needle)  that then allows that bit more fuel- (richening the mixture)

Just remember you can always go- the Opposite way and return to where you started.

Mudhen

Quote from: jedduh01 on June 18, 2014, 05:43:17 AM
Just remember you can always go- the Opposite way and return to where you started.

As long as you remember to count the number of flats you've gone.

"Lift to Lean" was the saying I was taught...  77.gif