1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Jims5543

And thisbis the hose that broke. Seems to be rekated to the choke somehow.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Yep.  Head into the store and browse the carb rebuild parts and gaskets.   I'm too rusty to look at the pic of your carb and identify the model. 

Jims5543

This is the same rebuild kit for the same price and it is sold by our host.

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view;id=167

I went with this one.

Mudhen

They don't look the same to me...never seen one like the one here before.  It has a metal body and plastic emulsion tube???  Interesting...

(I've never seen one of these carbs in person, though, just the 1 1/4" 'ers whose jets look like the 7ent ones).

94touring

It's actually the same as this one they sell.

http://www.7ent.com/products/carb-service-kit-hs4-1975-on-csk65.html

Although upon further investigation this metal style is for a later model, but this one is the earlier style.  Guess I can raise my price on the other one now, lol. 

http://www.restorationmini.com/forum/index.php?action=store;sa=view&id=394

Jims5543

Here we go.....  Carb is pulled, valve cover is loose, pulling plugs and alternator tomorrow, throwing in new rockers and rebuilding Carb.

I have never rebuilt a carb before, any tips?  Is there a good DIY thread somewhere? You Tube Video?

I am also pressurizing the AC system and marking the condensor leak, gonna pull it and either solder it myself or have a radiator shop do it.

Hope to have the girl back on the road in a few weeks.

94touring

Nah just tear into it man 77.gif.   You'll need to torque the rockers to a specific setting though.  I had to take down my Haynes manual pdf files that had the torque settings,  but I bet you can Google it.

Jims5543

I have a couple of shop manuals, I was planning on looking that up.

Did a search on an HS4 rebuild and there are some MG rebuild Video's.... close enough.   ;D

I miss driving her and really want the AC working again.

Jims5543

Started putting in the new rockers this evening.

Then this happened.  Dan, you have the same rockers. I am not very confident in these anymore. As I was tightening the lock nut and holding the screw tight it came apart way too easy.

I scavenged a screw off the old rockers and hope I can use it. I will try this again over the weekend, the weather is better here, so the boat is back on the front burner.

94touring

Ironically I have done the same thing before, busted a bolt, and I was pissed the hell off.  They are easy to over torque I guess.  I had to order a new bolt, but I suppose you have some extras laying around? 

Jims5543

going to see if the bolt from the old rockers will fit in there.

I was so pissed off I just put away the tools and walked away.....

I will revisit this on Sunday.

94touring

Yeah happens.   Kind of funny I get to relive some of my past agonies through you lol.

Jims5543

BTW- Looking in the cylinders to get to TDC of each, I noticed #4 is really carboned up inside. I am sure it is a result of the rocker that was not functioning.

I was thinking I spraying it down inside with some sea foam and letting it soak while I work on the other stuff and see if it clears it out some.

Yes?  No?

Leave it alone and just wait for the inevitable engine rebuild?

Jims5543

This was me in the garage after the bolt broke....

94touring

Great pic ;D.  I've heard good things with sea foam.   The flur car apparently got a treatment before I bought it to clear a sticking valve.

Jims5543

Showed that pic of the snapped bolt to a good friend of mine that is a aircraft mechanic and he said even Ray Charles could tell that was a defective bolt and to be very weary of the rest of them.

Jims5543

2 questions...

1. When taking apart the carb I noticed the float is filled with fluid. Is this normal or is my float effed?

2. I have my carb rebuild kit, and my Jet Assembly is different that what I have on the car. I cannot get the linkage to hook up.

Red is the new one black is the old one. The new one is about 90° different where the linkage connects.

94touring

Hmmm ok let me post some pics and we'll look at the orientation 8.gif 

Ok this is a red hs4

Black HS6

And Black HS2 

94touring

Jims5543

Looks like I need a 9142, I have a new 9141 and it does not fit.

I am this close to dropping $500 and just buying an entire new fucking carb. This car has been off the road for almost a month now and I am getting frustrated with the setbacks.

Anyone that says a rotary car is unreliable has not owned a Mini.  Next time I see someone post something online that says something along those lines, I am going to laugh at them.

Jims5543

Well, blessing in disguise, I was looking over the fuel lines in the engine bay, I am not happy with the routing, the current route takes if about an inch from the exhaust header which seems stupid to me and most likely a reason for hot start issues.

I am stopping off at the auto parts store tomorrow and buying soem hard and soft line to re-route it up an away from the exhaust.

I am also going to see about fabbing a heat shield to protect the bottom of the carb and deflect some of the radiating heat from it.

Mudhen

Sucks, I think most of us have been right there with you at some point, though.  It will get better!

(only kidding, it won't, but don't want you to defect so soon into your ownership  71.gif )

Jims5543

Gas line purchased hope to have some time tomorrow to start routing the new line in.

Question, I am having a hard time getting this evaporator repaired, the shop I went to which I was sure could do it cannot work on aluminum so I need to find a tig welder that is willing to work on a evaporator.

I would prefer to just buy another one, anyone have a clue where I could shop for one?

I can take a few pics of it if needed so we can identify if it is an Austin (BMC) part or aftermarket.

Option 3 is to grind it down some, clean it up real good and try to pug the hole with JB Weld and see if that holds. Hell, I had JB weld in the intake ports of my RX7 motor where we ported into the water jackets doing an insanely aggressive porting job.  It has been in there for years and lots of miles problem free. Decent pressure and lots of heat.