1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims5543

Buttoned up the front end last night, she is ready for action tomorrow, weather permitting.

Picked up this little sucker off of Amazon. I am going to mount it under the seat and then mount some speakers I had laying around so I can stream Sirius through my cel phone and through this.

Currently, with the help of 94 Touring, shopping for a replacement engine or a loaner car.  Probably going to swap it in sooner than later.

Can I drop the oil pan with the engine still in the car? I would love to take a look and see what is what in there.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on March 06, 2014, 01:39:18 PM
Can I drop the oil pan with the engine still in the car? I would love to take a look and see what is what in there.

You were suprised by the rubber bits in your oil...wait till you get into the oil pan and see all the gears in it!

;D

MtyMous

It's technically possible to drop the "oil pan", but the oil pan is the transmission. haha. I would highly recommend pulling the engine out and separating the transmission that way. It's not a small task either, so plan on a bit of time without the car.

Jims5543

After driving her all day today I am not convinced it is a con-rod bearing. I am thinking it may be a rocker arm, the one that was loose, is the culprit.

I am going to investigate this some more over the weekend.

Oil pressure is great, I think.

At start up it hits 40 then 60 PSI, once warmed up at 1500 rpm idle it is at 20 PSI and at 3K rpms driving runs around 25-30 psi.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

I would expect it to be a little higher once warm.  You running 20-50?  Maybe you're a tad low.

Jims5543

Oil level is a little on the high side. Running Castrol GTX 20W50 with half a pint of Lucas oil stabilizer in there too.

Yup, once warmed up she runs from 20PSI to 30PSI I rarely see 40 PSI unless the revs are up.

Of course who the hell knows how accurate the pressure gauge is.

94touring

Yeah at 3k rpms I'd be looking for 45-55 psi.  I know you changed the oil and found a bunch of rubber and crap in there.   Could be a number of things including the gauge.   8.gif

94touring

Maybe a faulty oil pressure relieve valve too.   Since you had junk in the oil undo the domed nut on the front of the engine and see if anything is keeping the spring open.

Mudhen

Here's a pic of your oil pan.

(bringing my 1098 into an engine shop tomorrow for an evaluation so conveniently just separated the engine/transmission this afternoon - thought it poignant to the discussion)

Edit:  what the heck happened to the tappet covers?  Someone please remind me in a couple years when I've finally got the motor together, back in the car, and none of the valves are opening and closing that I have to pull the engine again and separate the engine/transmission to put them in... 22.gif

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on March 07, 2014, 02:04:47 PM
Maybe a faulty oil pressure relieve valve too.   Since you had junk in the oil undo the domed nut on the front of the engine and see if anything is keeping the spring open.

Gonna pull that tomorrow evening and see what is up.

Mudhen, thanks for the pic it all makes sense now.  I am not "dropping an oil" pan anytime soon.

Gonna do some serious engine flushing at my wifes cousins shop next week.

I may finally get lettered up Wednesday.

I was driving it around Saturday evening running errands and took the turn into my subdivision WAY TOO FAST and had the back end slide out drastically.... I was like.. wait, I know this feel ( from my JCW CooperS days) and just pointed the front wheels where I wanted to go and punched it... FUN would be an understatement.  My next thought was, "I need to Autocross this".

:D

Richard1

Yes, pickups are light on the back end. Back in the 60's I used to do the hairpin turns here in the mountains (gravel/dirt roads) by kicking out the rear.

94touring

I loaded my bed up with so much lumber one time the front end nearly came off the ground. 

Richard1

I took the front tires of a Ford Explorer off the ground with the lumber I loaded in it (and out the back).

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on March 07, 2014, 02:04:47 PM

Someone want to  point out where the domed nut is on the front of the engine, I want to pull it and clean it out.

If all goes as planned on Monday I am taking it in for 2 engine flushes. (I am adding a bunch of MMO  to the engine oil as well for my drive to the shop where we are doing the flushing.

Once there we are flushing it, then refilling with the Car Quest oul and Fram filter I got with the car, then driving about 30 - 40 mile  then flushing again, then filling with proper oil and filter.

I would like to pop open this dome nut and see whats up in there too...

94touring

Look to the left of the distributor, and below the oil pressure sensor.  If you find a double nut you've gone too far.

Richard1

QuoteIf all goes as planned on Monday I am taking it in for 2 engine flushes. (I am adding a bunch of MMO  to the engine oil as well for my drive to the shop where we are doing the flushing.

Once there we are flushing it, then refilling with the Car Quest oul and Fram filter I got with the car, then driving about 30 - 40 mile  then flushing again, then filling with proper oil and filter.

While flushing is not generally recommended, you have a case where it may be appropriate. but the most important thing in a flush is a new filter each time. If the flush does anything, it will clog the filter and go through the bypass.

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on March 13, 2014, 06:39:46 PM
Look to the left of the distributor, and below the oil pressure sensor.  If you find a double nut you've gone too far.

That happened to me once in Miami, I really do not want to relive that.

Richard, I agree I have never flushed an engine in my life, but I feel this is a case that warrants it.  I suspect I will be yanking this engine over the summer.

Down here our seasons are reversed we drive the wheels off the fun cars all winter and do our projects in the summer.

Mudhen

Just don't forget...when you're throwing additives in that are meant for normal cars...our sumps have gears in them.   :(

Jims5543

Quote from: Mudhen on March 14, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
Just don't forget...when you're throwing additives in that are meant for normal cars...our sumps have gears in them.   :(

Good point and I will keep it in mind, I will be gentle on the old girl.

Dan,

I looked this afternoon between my 50 honey do's around the house and it looks like that nut is behind the A/C evaporator, which sucks. Gonna try to tear in tomorrow and clean it out. It appears to be just below the oil sending unit on my car.  Which I am going to pull out and make sure is clear too.

Realtor is coming tomorrow at 1 for us to sign a contract to list for sale. Lots of tidying to do still.

So much stress..

I will start a thread in off topic about my housing change when it is clearer what I am doing. If I get what I want it is a car guys dream...

Jims5543

Mother nature said, you shall not pass!!

Postponed until better weather, we are on tornado watches here.

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on March 17, 2014, 01:04:53 PM
Mother nature said, you shall not pass!!

Postponed until better weather, we are on tornado watches here.

Jims5543

:D  Yeah, I am not worried about my body, I am beating my liver to death.  I do not want to mess up the car.  ;D

Mudhen

Quote from: Jims5543 on March 17, 2014, 03:12:25 PM
:D  Yeah, I am not worried about my body, I am beating my liver to death.  I do not want to mess up the car.  ;D

:D

4.gif

Jims5543

I think I am at 70 hours worked this week as I sit right now before I even go home and do 4 more hours tonight and then another long day tomorrow.  Good problem.

I do not have any free time right now but have some thoughts..

The initial knock is indeed a con rod bearing I know that sound all too well and it goes away the second there is oil pressure.

This other ghastly knock we are hearing is something else, it is definitely inside the motor and I am thinking it is a bad rocker arm. 

Dan, is it expensive to buy a rocker assembly? If it is reasonable I am thinking I want to put a new one in. See if things quiet down. In the meantime I am going to do some more listening and even grab one of those stethoscopes from HF and snoop around.

Oil pressure, I am going to pull the sending unit and make sure it is clean and clear and maybe even put a different oil pressure sensor in to compare and see if mine is even accurate.

I am also considering seeing if I can back flow through the oil pump and maybe clean / clear it out.

Just some thoughts... back to work!!!