1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Jims5543

I thought there was a knocking from day one, it kept getting louder so I was assuming it was grenade time for the engine.

So glad I decided to pull the valve cover and adjust the valves today.

I was shocked to see that, I hope there is no permanent damage to that cylinder.  I am really hoping it is much peppier now.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Ha yeah you just gained a cylinder.   Explains the knocking.  Wonder where the nut went.   8.gif

Jims5543

Quote from: 94touring on March 03, 2014, 08:53:23 PM
Ha yeah you just gained a cylinder.   Explains the knocking.  Wonder where the nut went.   8.gif

I thought I was going to have to match one up at the hardware store, then I noticed it sitting on the head, you can see it in this picture. My guess is that it was not tightened after the last valve adjustment.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

Willie_B

Hope all this new found power doesn't go to your head.  :-[

94touring

Ah, yeah easier to see from my computer now.  I'm excited to hear back with the results of how well it's going to run.  All those other goodies you got, it's practically a new truck.   

Jims5543

I have a completely different truck now. I fired her up and was initially just going to run her up to the corner store.. I kept going, ended up going on a 20-30 minute drive through town looping around.

The acceleration is now what I was expecting, it runs much smoother and has tons more power.

I am going to pop off the valve cover again and make sure everything is staying put.  ;)

I also need to learn how to adjust the idle, with it running better now, it is idling at 2400 rpms I looked around and did not see an obvious adjustment so I am off to the shop manuals now.

There is a loud knock coming from the engine now that the valves are quiet. Does not sound good, I hope to have a video of that in a few.

94touring

Different than the previous knock huh?  You should see an idle adjust screw off the throttle body assembly.

Jims5543

Found the idle adjust.

The knock is the same you can just hear it all the time now and it is worrying.

Here is the shorter vid where I rev the engine a little and it quiets down.

Willie_B

That does not sound good at all. Does it go away when you rev it up or you just cannot hear it then? I chased a clatter/tapping noise for a good while till I found a cracked alt bracket. It would make noise at idle when the cracked parts rubbed each other but when revs went up the parts were pulled apart at the crack thus no noise. Can you slack the fan belt and run it to at least eliminate the alt, water pump and a/c comp?

Willie_B

Another thing you can do is get a long (2') screwdriver or socket ext. and rest one end on the bone just in front of your ear and the other end on parts of the engine. The sound will transmit thru the meal to the bone and you would be surprised what you can hear this way. Move around and chase the sound as it gets louder. Just beware of moving parts.

Jims5543

Yes it goes away.. sort of, I am going to check the Valve clearance again.  I suspect the lock nuts are loosening up. I will try some lock tight on there after I make sure I tightened them all correctly.

I swear that constant knock was not there when I initially started it and was there after a 30 minute drive.

94touring

Is there enough space to double nut it? 

Jims5543

:D

I consider double nutting them yes..... 

But, looking at the pics there is no room.

94touring

I just busted out laughing.  A bunch of guys in the crew room gave me a funny look.

Jims5543

I think the "pc term" here is locknut.

Nice job there Mr. Busta Nut.

MtyMous

Bahahaha. Double nut. Gonna have to use that one.

Jims5543

Thinking about this more I do not recall the constant knock when I first started it before the 30 minute drive.

I suspect a valve is out of adjustment again.

I am going to try to find time to adjust them again tonight.

94touring

That would be something if that one won't stay tight.  Seems like there would have been tons of racket if you had two things knocking like crazy.  I'm going to have to make a pit stop down sooner or later.

Jims5543

Just finished checking the valve train and everything was fine in there. I think the knocking is a con rod bearing. 2400 RPM's is where it likes the knock the most.

Hope she lasts until July, if not, oh well. That is what I get for buying it sight unseen.  edit - not a fair assumption ---  to the seller I apologize. - jim

edit

Just adjusted the idle and have another question.

I know the cable and butterfly closer to the engine is the throttle. I am assuming the one closer to the firwall is the choke?  It is attached to a knob on the dashboard that I assumed was a HVAC control but now see is a hand choke.... I think.

94touring

Yes that's the choke.  I guess it's been warm enough you haven't needed it?

Jims5543

LOL!! I would have probably started easier if I had known.

I set the idle to 1200 rpm it seemed happier there. I can also yank the choke to keep her running in a pinch.   ;D

We are expecting a really bad day weather wise tomorrow, but a really nice one on Friday so I am going to take her to work Friday.  Hope she does not shit out a con rod.

I need to start weighing my options for a new engine.

94touring

:-[ yes Jim the choke makes things easy.  ;D.

Jims5543

Out of curiosity, what RPM should I be idling at?

I noticed if I turned on the headlights is made her unhappy so I had to raise the idle, if I turn on the AC well, that is another can of worms. I would love to wire in a cycle switch to kick up the idle RPM when the compressor kicks in.

94touring

850-1000 range normally if memory serves me.  Most don't have tachs so it's whatever works.  Given that you have ac it's going to throw a curveball in there.