1978 Pickup, giving her some love...

Started by Jims5543, January 20, 2014, 08:22:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I've been keeping my shop at 75° with a fan going.  Could go lower but trying to keep the electric bill down.

Jims5543

I have a little window unit and it will get the garage down to 82, no ideal but better than 100.

If I can get the garage down to 80 I would be happy.  I can always use a box fan to add wind chill.   ;D

I saw a Mitsubishi Unit on a house I was surveying and asked the owner if it was for the garage and it was, his was 12K  BTU and a 3 car  garage. He said it will drop the garage into the 70's if he wanted it to easily and it uses no electricity. He said he never noticed a difference in his electric bill when he ran it all the time.

I am hoping for that.

This winter I am going to insulate the attic over the garage, right now I have an insulated garage door and that helps a lot.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

MiniDave

Insulating the attic will make a huge difference....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Yes, Dave, it will, I may break down and try to do it over the summer, maybe on a rainy day?

We are also having a metal roof put on the house we were told the reflective properties of it reduces attic temps greatly as well.

Quote from: 94touring on June 24, 2016, 08:06:11 AM
I've been keeping my shop at 75° with a fan going.  Could go lower but trying to keep the electric bill down.

What are your overnight lows?  We are staying close to 80 overnight now and then up to 90's with heat index at 100. Humidity is up in the 80's right now.

I purchased a decent size de-humidifier for my house and man what a difference it makes.

Back on topic I hope to have the alternator and starter and coil / dizzy wired up this weekend and also finish up everything underneath the car as well.

Then, as I said, onto the suspension / Brakes / front drive shafts.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Overnight in the 80s and low 90s and humid during the day.  I have the bonus of lots of insulation and a metal roof, plus trees that shade the place.  I just know when I step outside I'm like damn this is hot. 

MiniDave

Pretty much the same up here, humidity has been surprisingly low the last few days, but shot back up again overnight so it's now only low 90's but very muggy.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

OK as pathetic as this is, I have done nothing to the poor truck for 2 weeks or more, life is in the way and I am getting frustrated. I decided over the weekend when I thought I may have time for it and didn't that I was going to spend an hour or two an evening out in the garage getting little things done one at a time so maybe over a few weeks it will be done.

I wired up the alternator this evening, I took my time and it was my only goal. I soldered and shrink wrapped the connections and once I am sure the plug is wired right I will waterproof it as well.

I started on the starter but have one question.  See pic of starter:

I have the power run to it now, and now I need to wire up the trigger. I located it on the solenoid on the side wall but have what appears to be 3 blades I can hook to.  Any suggestions?

That is my project for tomorrow night, to get the starter hooked up then hopefully the coil and dizzy. If all goes smooth then I am running the new throttle cable too, which should only take a few minutes.

Then on to the radiator / electric aux fan install.

Those are my goals this week, over the weekend I want to dive under and get the shifter linkage hooked up and make sure the exhaust is all buttoned up too.

MiniDave

Main cable from the battery goes on the big main terminal post (not the big blade), the wire from the ign switch goes on the small blade terminal.

To test it, put the main battery cable on and use a small jumper between it and the small blade terminal, it should crank over...

One small job a day and before long she'll be driving again!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Almost did not go out in the garage last night. Day from hell at work yesterday.

I got home close to 7 PM by the time we finished with dinner it was well after 8 and closing in on 9PM.

I opened up the garage to cool it down from 99° when I got home from work, it down to 92 then I cranked the AC (crappy window unit still, my friends suck and only want me to jump when they need something from me)  and got the starter wired up (thanks Dave) and the dizzy wired up too.

Moving on to the cooling system next.

94touring

Sounds like you'll be able to fire it up soon.  4.gif

Jims5543

I am still moving very slowly, but with noting going on over the next 3 weekends I hope to maybe have her on the road by the end of September in time for the cooler winter months.

With my POS window unit I was able to keep the garage in the 80-84 range all day today while in there, not totally efficient but works and is much better than 95-99 which is what I typically see there right now. Cooler weather in only 4-6 weeks away, hopefully.

For the warmer months I decided to add an electric fan to the back side of the radiator to help out.

Radiator mounted and you can see how perfect this little electric fan is for the opening.

I was warned by Dan the lower radiator hose is a bitch to get on, I was told to get a bottle of Astroglide as it makes getting the lower hose on as easy as anal.

I have some super long extensions for moments like this, I can tighten the hose clamp with ease this way.

Sadly, 2 defective hose clamps, one was stripped and would not tighten the other seized up and twisted.  So off to Autozone tomorrow.

I am also fighting with the brake lines they are rusted on pretty good and some of the nuts are rounded which is making things very tough. I suspect they are going to eat up much more time than anticipated.

Set the Garage Ac to 85 for when I am not there. Hoping to spend every night this week on it and all next weekend.

Hope to have the engine ready to start midweek then on to the brakes suspension and half shafts..

Jims5543

Engine is in and done outside a couple of little things I need to connect on the underside.

So I am diving into the suspension and brakes now as well as the half shafts. (CV Shafts whatever they are called)

I am trying to drop the swing arm below the Hi-Lo and cone and am having no luck, it is turning into a clusterfuck to say the least even with Dan coaching me along via text messaging I am having a hard time coming to grips with the fact that I am going to have to drill a hole from the inside if the car in order to punch the bolt off the swing arm.  I shelved that project and moved onto the brakes.

As mentioned before the brake lines are giving me hell, I bought a set of deep sockets to use and hoped an impact gun on the one nut would be the trick, no luck. More frustration moving away from that for now and on to the Half Shafts.

Things are going well got the old outer CV joint off and ready to put the new one on, it will not slide on and I notice the there is a open wire washed on the shaft that seems to be too open, I decide I am going to take it off and squeeze it smaller. It shoots off and now I cannot find it.
I am guessing it is called a circlip.

I think I found it here.

http://gbcarparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DT-17h8596

I ordered 2 since I figure the other one will be as much as a problem.

So everything I tired to do today turned into a shit show.

And this is why god created Whiskey.

Tomorrow morning I have been summoned to accompany the better half to Ikea for some TV stand shopping then I am back on the car tomorrow afternoon and all day Monday, I am really hoping to get her back on the road by the end of next weekend.

MiniDave

Are you working on the inner or outer CV's? Cause there is a smaller and a larger ring clip in there.....be sure to get the right one in the right place or it won't go back together.....of the two, the inner one is the thin one, the outer is the thick one.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jeff10049

The swing arm thing doesn't sound right. Is it the long shaft that goes through the arm that's giving you trouble?  You can use a nut that fits the shaft  welded to a piece of round bar to get out as far as the grill area and then hook it to a slide hammer to get it out if it's stuck. Or drive it the other way and cut it off a time or two with a cut off wheel so it doesn't hit the body as you go  and just get a new one.

Jeff

94touring

He's having issues getting the cone out.

John Gervais

I've never been able to remove the cone without removing the upper arm first.
- Pave the Bay -

Tim

If you take the two bolts out of the cover plate on the left of that picture, then you can shift the rod toward the front of the car enough to let the swing arm lower and twist a bit.  I almost think that egg shaped plate was designed for that reason.

Tim.

MiniDave

But if the arm is seized on the shaft you need to remove it and rebuild it anyway.....it has needle bearings in it and people forget to lube them periodically and they will need to be replaced, along with the shaft.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on September 03, 2016, 06:54:05 PM
Are you working on the inner or outer CV's? Cause there is a smaller and a larger ring clip in there.....be sure to get the right one in the right place or it won't go back together.....of the two, the inner one is the thin one, the outer is the thick one.

I am doing both the inner and outer my problem arose when I was doing the outer one, I have not even started on the inner. I am hesitent to pull it off because I think the new ones I have are wrong.  Pics a little later.

Quote from: jeff10049 on September 03, 2016, 07:00:40 PM
The swing arm thing doesn't sound right. Is it the long shaft that goes through the arm that's giving you trouble?  You can use a nut that fits the shaft  welded to a piece of round bar to get out as far as the grill area and then hook it to a slide hammer to get it out if it's stuck. Or drive it the other way and cut it off a time or two with a cut off wheel so it doesn't hit the body as you go  and just get a new one.

Jeff

I have the back nut off, I was able to get it off by moving the shaft ever so slightly forward.  If I am going to have to start making tools I will honestly leave the damn cone in there, I am going to coil overs.

Quote from: Tim on September 04, 2016, 05:41:38 AM
If you take the two bolts out of the cover plate on the left of that picture, then you can shift the rod toward the front of the car enough to let the swing arm lower and twist a bit.  I almost think that egg shaped plate was designed for that reason.

Tim.

I am going to give that a shot, fingers crossed it works. If it does not then the cone stays in there.

Quote from: MiniDave on September 04, 2016, 06:09:43 AM
But if the arm is seized on the shaft you need to remove it and rebuild it anyway.....it has needle bearings in it and people forget to lube them periodically and they will need to be replaced, along with the shaft.

The arms moves smooth like silk no binding and no play in it either I was impressed it was in such good shape.

Just walked back in the house from Fort Lauderdale and Ikea, need to run to grocery store for food stuffs now, I am smoking some ribs again.   May have to go grab a growler too.  ;D  Then I am going to spend the evening messing around with her again.

Thanks for the tips.

jeff10049

OK, I assumed you had the plate off already and the shaft was stuck in the arm.  With the plate off as Tim described it should come apart just fine. Or at least drop down like Tim said and allow the cone to come out.

Cool, it's getting closer can't wait to see you get it fired up and on the road.

Jims5543

Quote from: jeff10049 on September 04, 2016, 01:22:51 PM
OK, I assumed you had the plate off already and the shaft was stuck in the arm.  With the plate off as Tim described it should come apart just fine. Or at least drop down like Tim said and allow the cone to come out.

Cool, it's getting closer can't wait to see you get it fired up and on the road.

Yes so close it hurts when there is a setback.

Here is my issue with the inner joints. I think the question here is obvious. Do I have the wrong part or am I missing something here?

MiniDave

You appear to have a broken axle, looks like the stub is stuck in the joint if I'm seeing this right.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Jims5543

Quote from: MiniDave on September 04, 2016, 02:40:29 PM
You appear to have a broken axle, looks like the stub is stuck in the joint if I'm seeing this right.....

The good news is that stub is in my old engine.

So good news in a way, I need to inderstadn how this goes together, into the shop manuals I go.

But first, round 2 of the effin brake lines begins.

Jims5543

Willie_B

Hopefully you still have the 6 balls that came out of it when you took it off. The boot on it is the wrong one too but it will work. Put the balls in and add cv grease and it slides right in.