I might be getting another Mini and I need some opinions!

Started by Twichel04, November 27, 2013, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twichel04

I have been kicking myself ever since I sold Flur to Dan, and I really want another. I stopped by the house of the guy that I bought my last one from to see what he still has left. He still has 3 remaining, but 2 of the three are now either fully restored, or in the process of, which puts them out of my grasp. This leaves me with the British Racing Green one that was there last year when I got mine. I didn't think too much about it last year because I was impatient and wanted something I could get in and drive. The BRG car currently has the motor our of it, but the motor has been rebuilt and is ready to go back in. The other reason that I stayed away from it was because it has a good share of rust, but then again, so did Flur (sorry Dan, I didn't know she needed that much!)

Anyway, he wants more for this one than he did for Flur, but he is also including most of the needed replacement panels, the motor is rebuilt, and the interior is complete save for the carpet (not a big deal)

The other thing on the plus side is that it is a limited edition Mini. It's the British Open Classic. My brief search leads me to believe that only about 1000 were made for the UK (some one correct me if I'm wrong). The British Opens where all BRG with Stone Beige Countryman Tweed upholstery (which is all still there, just needs a deep clean), also has the electric canvas top.

Here are some pictures that I snapped. It doesn't look great, but I need some opinions. It needs rockers (included with the car), A-panels (included), rear valance (included). It also needs the following (not included) floor patch for right front, scuttle, windshield corners, and wings (unless someone makes just a patch panel for under the head lamps, the rest of the wings can be saved).

The bonnet, doors, roof, boot lid, and rear quarters are rust free. The boot floor has some surface, but it still solid.

He wants $4500 for it as it sits, but one thing to note is that I live in an area where I have no space to work on a project, so the price includes letting me keep it at his shop while working on it, and access to his lift, his knowledge, his help, and his huge spare parts inventory.

94touring

Flur the second coming.  The price is a bit sketchy to me unless he is helping get all that rust repaired and including the panels.  With it being a roller 4500 could get you something more solid that drives IMO.

joltfreak

also,
is that an electric roof?
what shape is it in? does it work? leaks?
i would really think about it...plus you are not in a rush, take your time and really decide what you want from your mini and shop around.
check out the official website for updates!!!!! 

Willie_B

The top does not look like it fits right. The sides may have puckered up and will not seal correct or at all. Usually the rust you can see is just part of the rust that is really there so be very careful and do a GOOD inspection.

MPlayle

That top will have to be replaced - it has shrunk up and will leak badly.  As others have stated, the rust is very likely worse that it appears.  It should be an SPI engine.  That brake booster may also be packed up as weathered as it appears.  The brake system will need a very thorough going through.

To get that one running will cost a LOT more than you may expect.

I would second JoltFreak's recommendations.  Keep saving to expand your budget and find a much better one to start with.

Twichel04

Quote from: 94touring on November 27, 2013, 02:15:03 PM
Flur the second coming.  The price is a bit sketchy to me unless he is helping get all that rust repaired and including the panels.  With it being a roller 4500 could get you something more solid that drives IMO.

Yes, he will be helping with the rust repair, and the price includes most of the needed panels, and the original motor, rebuilt and ready to go.

Quote from: joltfreak on November 27, 2013, 02:34:36 PM
also,
is that an electric roof?
what shape is it in? does it work? leaks?
i would really think about it...plus you are not in a rush, take your time and really decide what you want from your mini and shop around.

Yes it is electric. Not very good shape, but not horrible, about normal for a 21 year old canvas top. I have been looking around a bit actually, but in my area, this is the best there is in my price range. There is another that is worse when it comes to rust, and does not come with a motor for $6k!  :-\

Quote from: Willie_B on November 27, 2013, 02:43:34 PM
The top does not look like it fits right. The sides may have puckered up and will not seal correct or at all. Usually the rust you can see is just part of the rust that is really there so be very careful and do a GOOD inspection.

The top is done, but the electrics all work, so that's a plus :) lol And I am definitely expecting more rust under there.

Quote from: MPlayle on November 27, 2013, 03:35:55 PM
That top will have to be replaced - it has shrunk up and will leak badly.  As others have stated, the rust is very likely worse that it appears.  It should be an SPI engine.  That brake booster may also be packed up as weathered as it appears.  The brake system will need a very thorough going through.

To get that one running will cost a LOT more than you may expect.

I would second JoltFreak's recommendations.  Keep saving to expand your budget and find a much better one to start with.

Yeah, the top will definitely need to be replaced. The British Open Classics were all 1992's with a 1275 carb'd motor, no SPi this time, and I am ok with that. I am planning a long term project with this one, and I will have help from someone who knows these cars extremely well. I would plan on going though everything on the car. New everything, I want this to be super safe to drive.

I know this one will need some major work, but with the price including the storage, parts and help, I feel like it's a good deal. Also it's a rare Mini, and is all original. The only things missing from original are the alloys that it would have come with, and the carpet. Everything else is there, and the interior (while very dirty and in need of cleaning) is still in very good shape and complete.

I am not expecting this one to be like Flur, where I can put a little work into and start driving, nor do I want it to be like that. I want one that will be a project and one that I will be involved with all of the repairs. I have also dealt with the owner before, and he is very nice, and very willing to lend a hand, and a part or two. If any surprises come up while we are working on it, he has enough parts to build a mini or two from scratch.

And that's the other thing, if I found one else where, even if it was less, I would have to pay for storage, and I would have to pay for the patch panels which I would undoubtedly need. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, so I am still thinking about it, but at this point I am still leaning towards going for it. No matter what I get, with my budget, I will be into something that needs major work.

Twichel04

Here is everything that a 400 mile radius has to offer for me-

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4216511015.html - Beautiful, but way out of my financial reach.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4192198099.html - Possible, but a little more than I want to spend

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4176142325.html - Out of price range

http://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/4108195319.html - This one is a possibility, rust already gone, new panels, but it's LHD, a little older than I want, has no motor/trans, doesn't have disc brakes, no interior, missing A LOT... so in the end, I feel like this one will cost me more. At least the BRG mini is complete.

http://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/4169884170.html - Nice, but again out of my grasp, and I still prefer later Mini's.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/4156165260.html - Just awesome.

http://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/cto/4152548953.html - Cheaper, but still lot's of rust (not as much though), NO TITLE  :-[ , and a Gatorade bottle as a gas tank, lol  4.gif

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4203109696.html - This one was across town from me as of two weeks ago, and now it's in another state and already for sale again... and it's purple... lol

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4127428369.html - Ok, so this one is awesome and in my price range, but it looks to me missing a lot, and in about the same condition, and it's 400 miles away from me...

MPlayle

Careful about those ones in the Orlando craigslist ads.  They are all from the same seller and they are also posted on the Mini Mania classifieds.  That seller has an "iffy" reputation of that forum.

For most of the cars you have posted, figure about 2 years effort to have them driving and a final investment of $15K to $20K (not including your labor).

This is one I have pondered getting, but I am still taking an extended hiatus from Minis.  It is much further away from you, but a lot better and near the budget you seem to have.  The ad was posted a while back (first in September and updated early October), so may no longer be available.  It it is still available, you would have an already driving Mini that you could then do "rolling upgrades" to make it how you want.

http://www.minimania.com/cars4Sale/11716/1980_Leyland_Mini_Van

Twichel04

Thanks for the link! A little far, but I do like it...

MPlayle

Not as far as having a Moke imported from Australia!

:-\

MtyMous

You are seriously limiting yourself by not wanting to leave the area. I drove about 9 hours to get my mini. Worth every penny.

I paid $7500 for Tink in this condition:

I spent probably a year just waiting and looking. Found Tink without much rust, and a good running motor.

Tim

Not to derail the topic... but, what finish did you use on your garage floor MtyMouse?  Looks functional and a great compliment to Tink!

Tim
4.gif

MtyMous

It's Ucoatit epoxy coating. Black epoxy around the border of the garage, and their regular grey color on the inside part. Then the flake in black, white, and red. All of that covered in 2 coats of self leveling clear epoxy. Pain in the butt to do so much, but it turned out great and was totally worth it. Holds up great to all the grease and oil, etc. just spray some Mr. Clean down, mop it up with the garage mop, and then hose out the garage. Everything is squeaky clean again.

Tim

How smooth did the concrete need to be?  We haven't poured ours yet and can do it super smooth or textured.

Tim.

MtyMous

You can do whichever you want. Personally, I would do it pretty smooth. Ours was very smooth and level. The epoxy is self-leveling and will look MUCH better on a smooth floor. If you want texture, the kit I got included a texture that you spread down on the areas you want more grip. It has sort of a silica/sand texture. It's great for areas where you will be walking. There's a hot tub in the back yard and we come in through a door. We laid down a "walk way" that has grip so you don't slip if your feet are ever wet. We also have a path along the side of the garage that leads up to the door that's got the texture added.

I also like having the smooth surface because I can hose the garage floor worn, mop it really quick, and then use a 3 foot squeegee to push all the excess water out. Can't do that with a fully textured floor.

Anyway, back to the topic. haha. Sorry to thread jack. If anyone else has any questions on the floor, you can definitely PM me.

Twichel04

Well guys, after sleeping on it, and taking your thoughts into consideration, I have decided to pass on it and continue to wait... Or perhaps jump on my other choice of fun weekend car an Porsche 944 to do some autocross in  4.gif 

Thank you to everyone for your input, and nice garage floor, hahaha

MtyMous

I'd say that's a good choice. And the 944 will be fun. I had a 944 Turbo when I was 15. Heck of a fun ride.

And thanks for the floor complement. Definitely a lot of real car guys in here. First thing you notice is the car, second thing is the floor... and no one notices the half naked girl on the wall. hahaha

94touring

Twichel04

GIRL!? WHERE!? lol.

I had a 944 NA years ago (long before I actually knew anything about cars) and now I kind of have the itch to get back into one. I'll be looking for an NA again due to the price of a Turbo and also, the turbo lag on the 951 is not very conducive to autocross, lol.