1979 automatic

Started by 94touring, July 29, 2013, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Got some de rusting started in the engine bay.  Exterior is ready for paint.  Need to do the interior first though.   

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on March 28, 2014, 07:55:58 PM

What goes in the seams...just seam sealer?  Or do you use fiberglass?

Thx

94touring

I paint them and that's it.  Sealer tends to crack.

Richard1

There is a sealer that is recommended for that. Paintable and adds strength. Eastwood and 3M have products. Here I have a local version.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on April 03, 2014, 03:42:20 AM
I paint them and that's it.  Sealer tends to crack.

When you have gaps like mine, you can't put enough paint it.   ::)

So...thanks Richard!  Will look into it.

94touring

I keep the seams tight.  Personally I think it's better.   I didn't do the metal work on this car but the scuttles look good.

94touring

I'm trying to post pics of the new white roof but the server is having some kind of issue...so until that's resolved, just imagine a shiny white roof. 

94touring

MtyMous

94touring

Yes, very.  Did you notice I've lined the paint booth walls with plastic.  Where the tools and paint supplies are I have extra plastic that I can drape.  Easy to spray down now and reduces dust particles. 

MtyMous

I hadn't noticed. But that is nice. I can only imagine what a pain dust control would be without that. You have a filtered recirculation system right?

94touring

Yep inlet and outlet filters.  A high powered fan pushing air through a 24x24" filter, outlet on the diagonal corner.   Works great.

94touring

Interior is ready for paint, but as I pointed out in another thread my paint booth is stuffed with cabinets that are being stained.   :(

94touring

So my intranets is down but I have pics to post when it's back up.  Interior is painted.   I also fixed up a door.  Sure would be nice to post pics.  11.gif

94touring

Alrighty, where was I.  She is essentially ready for paint.  I will do one more light sanding and clean up the engine bay a hair more before I do the basecoat/clearcoat.  Still working on doors, and I need to prep the bonnet and boot lid, but those are small potatoes.

I didn't like the primer on the inside areas that are visible once all the interior is in.  Hand sanded them back down to paint.  Very unpleasant task. 

Interiror color in there.

Exterior as it sits right now.  Needs a light nub sanding and one or two spots need minor attention to be dead ass perfect, nothing crazy. 

Door repair.  It was a mess.  Had to Fab corners.  Note the door hinge I found under the skin!  Score!

94touring

I wonder if the owner knows this thing is painted  ;D  It turned out amazing.

MtyMous

Looks great. Really digging the color combo.

Stormymonk

Oh I know...I may be quiet..but I'm always watching. >:D
It looks simply amazing.  Well done sir!

MtyMous

What's the process for paint? How many coats of each?

94touring

2 coats basecoat gets desired coverage, then it's 3 coats of clear.  My paint booth doubles nicely as an oven too.  Have my shop lights and kick on the heater, gets up to 100 in a matter of minutes.   This thing was touchable in 15 minutes or so.  Really no orange peel to speak of and minimal dust nubs.  I'm very satisfied with my setup. 

94touring

Thanks Richard.

Also on these doors, I put a nice bead of seam sealer between the skin and the back panel of the door.  This will prevent water from resting in between the two which is obviously what causes them to rust on the bottoms over time. 

Richard1

I used a long-neck sprayer to spray an undercoating all over the inside of my Corvair doors. Makes them feel more solid, too. Of course I did it before the final paint, so I didn;t need to protect much.

94touring

Took a few pics in sun to show color contrast better. 

94touring

Not a whole lot to report on lately other than I just made an enormous purchase for all the new parts that go on this car.  4.gif  62.gif