1979 automatic

Started by 94touring, July 29, 2013, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Still prepping.   One door had an allergic reaction to the previous coat of primer and wrinkled on me  :-[  I have since stripped it and starting over.  Everything else is looking good so far.   

MiniDave

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It appeared that the sealer primer hadn't fully cured prior to the filler.   It was a bit gummy when I was stripping it.  Once I threw another layer of sealer on the top, it made the sealer on the bottom react. 

MiniDave

Did it just not get enough time, or was the temp too cool, or did the sealer not get mixed right?

Enquiring minds want to know!

BTW, this is my 100th post!

I guess I have diarrhea of the keyboard!   ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

It's been cold here and I probably didn't give it enough flash time.   Mixing definitely wasn't the problem.   I re sprayed the door after stripping it down and all is good now.   

jeff10049

Quote from: MiniDave on January 17, 2015, 05:21:28 PM
Did it just not get enough time, or was the temp too cool, or did the sealer not get mixed right?

Enquiring minds want to know!

BTW, this is my 100th post!

I guess I have diarrhea of the keyboard!   ;D

100th post! and you been here what a week or two, I was here like day two and just now getting near 100.
Man I got some catching up to do.

Jeff

MiniDave

Well, most of it was to post my restoration of my Clubman......

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Working on replacing the adjusting screws on the rockers.   They were trash.   One was even broke in half.  You can even see where threads were broken.   

MtyMous

I've read about crap quality on the MiniSport rockers and many other brands lately. With all this junk floating around, I'm just not seeing the use of the higher lift rockers. My current plan is to go with standard ratio, possibly forged Cooper S 1.3's. I just don't think the risk is worth the reward until someone can show me a good reputable set. And even then, I've bought the Cam profile I want and I don't need a 1.5 ratio rocker. I'd want a 1.3 with a roller only to reduce the side loading. That's it.

94touring

The new screws are quality.   Machined and heat treated.   

94touring

Got everything adjusted and tuned some more.   Driving really good now.   

Jims5543

Interested in seeing how those hold up, you are having some of the same issues I have.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Getting some things painted.   

94touring

MiniDave

Quote from: 94touring on January 20, 2015, 06:52:51 AM
Getting some things painted.

It's interesting how different the color looks on the two doors, I assume it's just the lighting?

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

94touring

Ha yes, just lights.   

Jims5543

Quote from: MtyMous on January 18, 2015, 12:13:41 PM
I've read about crap quality on the MiniSport rockers and many other brands lately. With all this junk floating around, I'm just not seeing the use of the higher lift rockers. My current plan is to go with standard ratio, possibly forged Cooper S 1.3's. I just don't think the risk is worth the reward until someone can show me a good reputable set. And even then, I've bought the Cam profile I want and I don't need a 1.5 ratio rocker. I'd want a 1.3 with a roller only to reduce the side loading. That's it.

My Minisports did not last 100 miles. I now have over 2000 miles on a very expensive (3X cost) MM set and they are working fine.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! -Hunter S. Thompson

94touring

Got the doors on, though the one I want to make another shim for it, still not to my liking.  I spent a lot of time making shims and fitting these crazy things today. 

94touring

Buffing like a madman.

94touring

Finally got the wheels in. 

94touring

Thanks.  Just need to clean it up and we're changing the dash again.  Oh and I need to set the hi-los a bit more.  I think it's sitting high in the front still. 

94touring

94touring

Updated interior minus speakers.

94touring