1979 automatic

Started by 94touring, July 29, 2013, 08:06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

Any guesses on what becomes of this one?

Willie_B

Skinny 10" tires with wide white walls, large mesh visor over the windshield like in AUS. Real light blue paint with white roof. Very stock old style interior.

94touring

Wow pretty accurate if I were to keep it for myself.  I would paint it very light blue with a white roof and it's even the single pod gauge.

Stormymonk

I'm working on it...the picture in my head is starting to come together.

94touring

Its been awhile but I do have some sample paint in the shop, just struggling to get time to paint a panel to send off to the owner for approval.  I have seats in to reupholster also.  And this will also be getting sanded up this week for filler primer. 

94touring

Ok now that flur is officially gone I've begun the early stages of paint selection on this car.  The owner is looking into maroon B, so I painted up a test panel and some test stripes to mail off for him to decide on. 

Stormymonk

Gonna have to see this one in person.  Looks like two different colors depending on the angle in the photos.
Initial thought.....I think its going to work just fine.

94touring

Interesting how angles affect the shade.

94touring

Got the car in the shop and started really looking it over.  I need to go through and do some extra welding and clean a few things up.  Got the first round of block sanding done, a few minor dings and low spots, nothing crazy.

Stormymonk

The test panel arrived today.  That's it! Classic Maroon B is the winner.

94touring

Cool deal.  Did the bkack and white stripe combo work for you still?

Stormymonk

Oh yea.  I like the white and black.

94touring

Did some body work on her today.  I took down a few areas on the sides where the previous owner did some repairs to check things out.  One side was a bit warped in so banged it out best I could and refilled.  Filled in a number of other minor dents and will continue sanding tomorrow for filler primer on these areas. 

94touring

Just tons and tons of sanding today.  They must have had a roof rack on it at some point because there were 2 dents on opposite sides on the roof.  It's been de-dented, filled, and ready for some filler primer sanding in the troubled areas. 

94touring

No pics, but the sanding continued all day!  Filled a little extra in a couple spots.  The fine sanding will commence tomorrow. 

94touring

Got it on its side so I could start prepping the bottom for paint.  I ended up spending most of the day rewelding seams.  The previous guy wasn't good at welding unfortunately.  Gona need to seam seal over a good bit of ugly stuff, but I'm making sure its strong none the less. 

94touring

I spent the last 2 days welding over previous work and prepping the bottom.  We have paint on at last. 

Stormymonk

Looking good!  I hope it is going smoothly for you.

94touring

Yeah not too bad.  A few minor patches and just a lot of extra welding.  Have more sanding on the exterior to go through for final prep.  It's just about there as is.  Tomorrow I need to mask off the bottom and get it back on the dolly.   

94touring

We'll need to order parts galore here soon too.  The rear subby is about a month and a half out in a crate.  I'll need to get the interior guy working on seat covers soon too. 

94touring

All the holes on the bottom taped off and the bottom masked and put back on the cart today. 

94touring

Still sanding away on this thing.  The roof is ready for paint.  In fact I started to get ready to paint it but I'm running low on clear coat.  Tomorrow I figured I'll take a day off and get supplies.  I also went through and removed the craptastic seam sealer (I think it was just silicon) that was betweenall the front end seams.  All its going to do is come loose and crack the paint in the seams.  So picked away and pulled that junk out and had to do a little re-clamping up front to tighten things up.  Much better now. 

94touring

Tossed on the doors today to double check they were ok with the A-panels.  Everything is fine.  The doors however will need new bottoms skin sections.  The one door is probably fine but figured might as well take it apart and redo it for the hell of it while we're at it.  Aside from that I did a lot of sanding and wrapping up small spots that needed some extra attention. 

94touring

Just about done on the exterior with all the final sanding.  My arms got a workout the past couple days on this thing.   20.gif

Richard1

Looking good.

One of my favorite Maroon paints is 2008 Lexus Salsa Red Pearl, #3Q3. I saw it on a 49 Chevrolet at a show in the US.