165/70? r12

Started by wfothrottle, June 26, 2013, 09:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wfothrottle

hey,
it's been a while since i've been on here. me and my mini have been on hiatus......

i dusted off the cob webs and got her started but i need some new tires.
the ones i have are 165/60r12, but they're $100 a tire plus shipping!!!!!!
i remember seeing somewhere that 165/70r12's would fit, they're WAY cheaper and easier to get a hold of.

does anyone know if they would fit, or if there's any modifications that need to be done to make them fit?

i was also thinking about 13's, but not ready to pull the trigger yet.

94touring

I rode in a mini with this size tires (fairly certain) and they rubbed the fenders when he cut the wheel sharp.

jedduh01

I heard the same slight rubbing issue described before- the tire is technically taller by the 70 Series... This also could be due to ride height... My 165/60 Yoko's rub on full lock and bump (i run low in my hi lows anyhow)

but at the prices you can find - would be great for someone to try! 

http://www2.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?details=Ordern&cart_id=73347762.135.11610&kplz=&Cookie=&ABT=&typ=D-115203&dsco=135

I think they would be GReAT on a Moke...  No fender clearance to worry about.

- If you try them . and they rub too much - I'de consider buying them from you for a set of 12" steelies I have that would go on my moke too!

wfothrottle

it's at the shop now, and they tried the 70's on.........
they fit with no problem on the front,
but on the back they rub on (what they say) the "swing arm bracket bolt"?
i'm not sure what it really is.
i'll try and get by there and get a look at it......i'll take some pics too and put them up on here.

maybe you old heads could learn me something.....

MPlayle

Definitely post a picture (or two).  I suspect they are rubbing very slightly on the outer swing-arm mounting bracket.  Supposedly, the edge of that bracket can be ground off a bit to allow just enough clearance - reportedly 1/8" can be removed to essentially be near flush with the swing-arm.

Of course, that also assumes the stock bracket.  I've not heard about modifying the negative camber brackets in a similar manner.

If that is indeed all that is needed to make clearance, it provides another tire alternative that may be ore readily available.

jedduh01

Here is a picture of 165/60 - 12 Tire and the clearance on the rear of my car. REally about an inch... SO if a 165 /70 touches- Whew Thats a big round tire... that would be Great for highway RPM's!

MPlayle

The 165/60/12 tire results in a total tire diameter of 19.8".
The 165/70/12 tire results in a total tire diameter of 21.1".

The 165/70/12 tire is 1.3" larger diameter.  That would reduce the gap shown by half that (0.65").

Those are just the straight math numbers.  If all were ideal, those would be the results you would see on the wheel.  However, reality is not ideal - the tolerances between tire makers and even different models from the same maker will have variances as much as 0.5".  So it could be tight.

From the picture Jedduh01 posted, you can see where the bracket could be ground some to provide additional clearance.  Years ago, I knew someone in Colorado that did just that.  I want to say he indicated he took about 1/8" off the bracket edge in front of the tire.  He also admonished to round the freshly ground edge as well - remove sharp angles/edges.

wfothrottle

it does look like it's some kind of alignment adjustment.
but it looks a lot closer than jedduh01's.......
here it is....

MPlayle

jedduh01's picture is of the stock swing-arm mount.  Your picture shows the adjustable "negative camber" brackets.  Looking close up at your picture, the weld is on the outside of the lower angle support.  That puts part of the weld along the edge you would have to grind in order to gain clearance.  For gaining just enough clearance, you would have to grind the vertical edge flush with the edge of the bottom piece, which would grind off the weld on that side.  I can't tell if there is enough room on the inside to weld it there for allowing grinding off the outside.

wfothrottle

i think i'm going to spend the extra cash on 60's and worry about trying to fit the 70's next time i need tires.........

the mini's been out of service for so long i just want to drive!!!!

thanks for all your help...