Trouble with brake lines

Started by jemo, April 28, 2013, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jemo

I want to ask if someone out there has experience with this....the original rear brake tee has straight female fittings: 3/8-24 threaded holes.

I bought a "Kit" of brake lines from minisport and the line that runs from rear to front has a 10mm fitting on one end and a 3/8-24 on the other.  The fittings are for inverted flare ports but like I said the inside of the tee isn't for flared lines so how does the line crush and seal to a straight female fitting? 

I've found some tees at summit racing that have 3/8-24 inverted flare ports on all 3 sides but they don't have a mounting tab like the stock tee has.  There is one available in the UK but it's almost $30 with shipping!

What have others done or recommend?  Do I keep the stock tee and just swap the 10mm fitting with a 3/8-24 fitting and re-flare or buy the tee without the mounting tab and maybe zip tie it to something or ????

Jeff

jedduh01

Greetings Jermo!

Personally- I would call the supplier - mini sport and ask their advise... Second question is --- are you sure the 10MM doesn't thread properly in to the Tee or the other end?  if its the correct brake line it should thread in...

Third = what year is your car? in many earlier cars there is a rear brake proportioning valve- and that needs to be there to  limit the rear wheel lockup-- too much lockup in certain situations will Spin any car right around... :-\

The flare type on replacement brake lines like you recieved are actually a compromise === the lines are made of cunfer  metal -- a much softer and easier replacement brake line to work with. and in many ways these lines are able to crush and adapt to any type of flare that they encounter upon installation.

I ran across this a year ago when plumbing a friends Mini - he had purchased a Complete kit and I thought - whew- why are the flares so different... the package says  to crush to tight- .. Did just as advised and we had no leaks anywhere-  when taking something apart from these new line sets - the flare clearly crushed more into the Female flare design and worked fine.

Perhaps you do need to just swap that 10 MM fitting to screw into your port and then do a partial bubble flare and allow the screw to crush and create the final flare seal.

Goodluck.

jemo

Thanks jedduh.  I sent an email to the vendor and they replied asking what part number I bought.  I gave them the info but didn't hear back.  I tried many times to get the 10mm thread to work in the stock tee and it just wouldn't work...even off the car. 

Mine is a '95 model. 

Now I'm a little worried after reading your explanation of the cunfer metal that the two lines going into the tee may have been pre-crushed and won't seal next time.  The flare on the lines looks like a standard double flare you'd see on pre-flared lines you buy at auto parts stores here.

It's always little things like this that trip me up! 

Jeff