Basil - Retro Restoraion in progress

Started by thebluepotato, April 08, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spitz

Luckily he had made the right choice and actually married Polly

MiniDave

But only for 10 years, by the time the second series was done, so were they.....
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Spitz

Hey...I'd take a tenth of ten years as she looked back then....lol

thebluepotato

Quote from: Spitz on February 24, 2016, 03:55:38 PM
Hey...I'd take a tenth of ten years as she looked back then....lol

Hopefully it is not any indication of the future of my 'marriage' with this Mini  :-X

thebluepotato

Some more updates as it has been awhile since I posted here...making some good progress.

MiniDave

What are these?

Edit: Oh, I recognize them now - door latches.

The car is really coming along nicely, it's interesting how the paint looks blue is some pics and grey in others!

Is that a tennis ball head protector?  ;D

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

thebluepotato

Yup - door latches that were previously painted this uninspiring white.  And yes, tennis ball trick I picked up long ago to keep those bumps to a minimum.  And yes, that is a BMC original coloUr called Tweed Grey.   This pic below is one of the ones that inspired me to go through this project.

thebluepotato

Mudhen

MiniDave

Wow, lot's of progress on lots of different fronts going on there!

Tell me about the insulation you're using on the floors?

I'm surprised you're using an electric fan, usually with an aluminum radiator it never runs hot enough to need an aux fan.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

thebluepotato

Quote from: MiniDave on December 19, 2017, 10:19:41 AM
Wow, lot's of progress on lots of different fronts going on there!

Tell me about the insulation you're using on the floors?

I'm surprised you're using an electric fan, usually with an aluminum radiator it never runs hot enough to need an aux fan.

Thanks.....so yes, that aux fan.  I originally thought I would need it and mounted against the rad....but because of the space limitations, I have it mounted in the fender-well area against the slotted panel/inner-wing.  And you are right, will most likely not need it so will probably remove.   

The flooring is just standard sound deadening from Amazon.  I do not like the weight, but wanted to reduce some noise.  Having worked with this stuff in the past, you can go overkill and just add a ton of weight.

MiniDave

Does it go by any special name, I have a guy getting ready to do his interior and he was asking what to use, that's the exact stuff I would use, I prefer the quiet and the weight is unimportant compared to my peace of mind!

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

Willie_B

If it's not too late remember to fit the speedo cable to the trans before installing it all in the car.

MiniDave

Even if he did, with the head off he should be able to reach in there ok.....

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

BruceK

Quote from: thebluepotato on November 22, 2016, 08:44:37 AM
Yup - door latches that were previously painted this uninspiring white.  And yes, tennis ball trick I picked up long ago to keep those bumps to a minimum.  And yes, that is a BMC original coloUr called Tweed Grey.   This pic below is one of the ones that inspired me to go through this project.

A double grey Mini photo!     I believe that is a Farina Grey Mini hiding in the background behind the Tweed Grey

Love the Tweed Grey.  I saw a Mini in that color at Mini Meet West last year and it was spectacular. 
1988 Austin Mini
2002 MINI Cooper S
1992 Toyota LiteAce (JDM)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

thebluepotato

Quote from: Willie_B on December 19, 2017, 12:01:50 PM
If it's not too late remember to fit the speedo cable to the trans before installing it all in the car.

Yeah - that will need to be done while engine is in place  50.gif

It blows, but can be done.

thebluepotato

Quote from: MiniDave on December 19, 2017, 11:54:13 AM
Does it go by any special name, I have a guy getting ready to do his interior and he was asking what to use, that's the exact stuff I would use, I prefer the quiet and the weight is unimportant compared to my peace of mind!

Here ya go:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

thebluepotato

Uber big....nae, HUGE updates this past few weeks.  Basil rolls out for the first time in 5 years.  Pics and some videos below, but you can get all the updates here:  http://www.thebluepotato.net/blog/  And here: https://www.facebook.com/basilthemini/

MiniDave

Fantastic! The car just looks terrific!

I think you're going to want to raise it up a bit, as the cones settle in it might start rubbing.

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

thebluepotato

MiniDave - yup - did raise one side, but watching that closely.  Although I do like the lowered stance  77.gif

gr8kornholio

I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.

Mudhen

MiniGene

Great job!  Not only did you put together a very smart looking Mini, but it looks MINT!!

thebluepotato

Lots of updates since my last post including refining the suspension, alignment and more importantly - 4 hours of dyno time.  Also spent sometime again inside the "office" with some smaller improvements...but as of today (7/26/18), he's running really well now on M needles (although a tad rich at tip in) and still trying to soften the GAZ shocks - which are really horrendously harsh - even at lowest settings.  More to come....