Basil - Retro Restoraion in progress

Started by thebluepotato, April 08, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebluepotato

Greetings - been a lurker here for some time and just now getting around to saying something.  If it is not happening with my Mini, it is all work, family and what have you.  I currently have a 1974 Mini 1000 that is going under a complete tear down for a full body respray and mild restoration.  I am going by the seat of my pants and only armed with a lame Haynes Manual, so good local Mini doods and forums like this for inspiration.

You can check out all my blog updates here: http://www.thebluepotato.net/blog/ - but will continue to post updates where I can.  Today I finally got the rear subby out and not thrilled with the condition - may try and blast this one down and paint, but may just be easier to find a 76+ subby that is in much nicer shape.  Would love to know your thoughts to some of the pics below.  I only see one hole so far, but it may be too far gone.

Anyway, hoping to be one of the many restorations here that are amazing.

94touring

Welcome and thanks for sharing your project.  Look forward to it.

Nice looking car dolly!  The subby is hard for me to tell from the pic, may be easier with all the grime cleaned off.   The one I replaced on this last car was pretty crusty and I knew right away.

thebluepotato

Yeah - in fact, I just picked up a full brand new BMW rear subby with all the fixings from an individual near me, so I figured it was worth the hassle of stripping this one down, repairing and PC'ing and then rebuilding and replacing parts.  So will be chucking this one unfortunately...just feels like too much work to get it back to a good state.

94touring

Aside from the subby the rest of what I'm seeing looks pretty solid.

Mudhen

Coolness, fresh meat!   4.gif

Love the lights....

clm

Something's wrong here! You can't see the ground through the floor!

Er...

Uh..

That is a pretty nice mini you are starting with should be a fairly easy resto!

Chris

Mudhen

Quote from: clm on April 10, 2013, 11:46:32 PM
Something's wrong here! You can't see the ground through the floor!

Er...

Uh..

That is a pretty nice mini you are starting with should be a fairly easy resto!

Chris

:D

I think you're a jig snob!

def:
JIG SNOB [jig snob] noun : A person who looks down on others because the basis of their restoration had enough un-rusted, un-perforated metal in it so as to not require a steel frame to be built supporting the structure before work can commence.
Origin
CLM: Restoration Mini, Moke Shaped Pile of Rust, September, 2012
Latin
Jigus Snobiarum

19.gif

clm

Quote from: Mudhen on April 11, 2013, 02:53:46 AM

:D

I think you're a jig snob!

def:
JIG SNOB [jig snob] noun : A person who looks down on others because the basis of their restoration had enough un-rusted, un-perforated metal in it so as to not require a steel frame to be built supporting the structure before work can commence.
Origin
CLM: Restoration Mini, Moke Shaped Pile of Rust, September, 2012
Latin
Jigus Snobiarum

19.gif

Pfft, Not a snob... but I am jealous!  :-X

A mini capable of being driven when you buy it, I really need to look for one of those one of these days  50.gif

Chris

thebluepotato

Yes, yes I know...But the 'patch work' that you guys are not seeing is adding up.  I know the previous owner(s) of this mini and I just know that things seemed to be done on the cheap - which means I have a decision to make it right or not.  But the car is in great shape and I just want to get it back to a 'correct' state.  I am still deciding whether or not to strip off the under-seal or not. 

Mudhen

Those silly little bolts holding the air vent/ducts in place were some of the biggest PITA on my whole car when disassembling...broke them all, ended up grinding/cutting off the nuts.

Must have been the size that got to me...after all the big stuff, looking at those little bolts sitting there, laughing at me...really got to me.  My kids learned some new words that day...  50.gif

thebluepotato

Its been awhile since I posted any updates....Completed Basil's s tear down around last Oct and sent off to 998 Skunkworks for a lick of paint.  Since then, I have been reconditioning all the suspension and some of the interior parts.  Powedcoated the front subby and came out great...and by luck, found a guy who stalled on a mini project and picked up a brand new complete rear subby with everything for under a grand.  Started to work on a new engine as well....just need to pick the right share of green now for the body.  Choices choices choices....

Mudhen

Did you powdercoat the front subframe yourself?  HOLY COW is that gorgeous... :-\

wevebeenhad

thebluepotato

Yeah - worked like a charm.  Just so much to do and it is all in the details unfortunately.  I will be simply painting the upper control arms and such by hand - including fuel tank, etc.  Freaking out a bit with the laundry list of things, but again - this is my first tear down and rebuild (sans welding so far).

thebluepotato

It has been awhile, but lots of progress on basil...

thebluepotato

And finally after some mild media blasting, we start with some body work....

thebluepotato

After some minor pulling and tugging, we started on sanding and it became clear that those wings were shot - off they come and hello Heritage panels...

thebluepotato

And then the fun started - the dreaded bottom.  We tried several ways but clearly a media blast and power wash got everything off perfectly fine.  But clearly you will soon find things you did not see when you bought said mini from a guy who said "everything is solid with no rust or body work...".  Right.

thebluepotato

And finally, about ready to put it all back together again...which scares me a bit, but we will see.  Color is BMC Tweed Grey with OE White top.

MiniDave

Like growth rings on a tree, how many layers of paint am I counting here? 9?

Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

John Gervais

Wow, it's really looking nice. 

What did you use on the upper shock mounts and other small bits, powder coat or paint? 
- Pave the Bay -

thebluepotato

John - just gave them a good cleaning and got them powder coated locally where I live with chassis black color.  Not looking for flashy colors on these things, but just keeping it classic and 'correct' where I can.

thebluepotato

Quote from: MiniDave on February 17, 2016, 02:20:31 PM
Like growth rings on a tree, how many layers of paint am I counting here? 9?

I think you may be right....original color was white, then to silver like 5 times, then white again...it was crazy seeing this we sanded last year.

thebluepotato

Some more pics now that Basil is home from paint and ready for the rebuild.

MiniDave

Everytime I see the title of this thread I can't help but hear Sybil's withering, ball shrinking yell at her husband in Fawlty Towers!  ;D ;D
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad