Adventures with a 68 Mini

Started by blaked, May 16, 2018, 06:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaked

Hey friends - Ive really been enjoying this site the past several months and figured it's about time to contribute. Although she needs some work, the condition is light years better than my first mini (perhaps a common theme). I picked up the car in Jan 2015 during a snow storm in Muskegon MI and got about 5 miles before deciding to tow her home. Definitely the scariest ride of my life... Anyway Im debating a restoration but wanted to sort some details first. The VIN is not accurate - does this really matter? I believe the car was imported by Turkys in SC (based on the POs map quest directions) and perhaps there something funny happened with the VIN. Any one have experience with them?

From what I can tell the car is a 68 and the engine / gear box had been exchanged at some point. Besides the mediocre respray - there was an accident at the driver rear corner which resulted in a boot lid replacement and a poor repair on the upper corner at the rear wind screen. I stripped the interior and found several pockets full of change from NZ with the youngest coin from the early 80s. The car has front drum brakes and was converted to a dry suspension (with springs) at some point.

Send me some questions I'm happy to discuss what I've gotten myself into. Clearly there are panel replacements in my future. Looking for insight into how big this box of worms really is.

The car runs and drives and Im happy with the car regardless. Its the parking ability, drive thru in reverse, general driving around, split windows, the timeless shape etc. After I sold my first mini I realized I was a lifer - glad to be back in the game and part of this community! Do you ever walk up to you mini and just look at it for a bit before getting in?

mk2 cooper

blaked

Some problem areas aka the details 
mk2 cooper

blaked

mk2 cooper

MiniDave

My car is a Racing Green special edition, it's titled in Kansas as a '72. I wouldn't try to sell it in California, but other than that I'm not concerned as I have a clean title and it matches the vin on the car.......
Complete failure at retirement

1989 Cooper Racing Green
2009 Clubman S
2014 Audi Allroad

jedduh01

Welcome!

Pop us some pciture from Under the Bonnet!

Nice little run about =!  Tear it down, thats a LONG project.. How long do you want to go with no mini??

Decisions Decisions!

July 2013!!! Dont forget your First Mini! Time flies!

Welcome to RM!!

gr8kornholio

Quote from: jedduh01 on May 17, 2018, 10:47:37 AM

Nice little run about =!  Tear it down, thats a LONG project.. How long do you want to go with no mini??

That is no lie.  I'm in the middle of this and miss the car every derivable day without it.  It's going to be spectacular when it's done, but worth the wait?  Only time will tell.

Welcome!
I am the GR8KORNHOLIO! Are you threatening me?

Saussie Aussie 1965 Australian MK1 Mini.
"Beavis" - 07 MY/MY MCS, B/MY Konig Daylites, JCW sideskirts, TSW springs, TSW lower rear control arms -- Exploring the country with new friends since 11/09.