later model single bolt subframes galore

Started by 94touring, April 03, 2013, 04:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

94touring

I must have 3 or 4 of these laying around the shop, all in good condition.  Anyone need one?  Pay shipping and my time to haul it to fed ex and you can have them. 

MPlayle

I'll check with you after I determine the fate of "Mr. Bitsa" once he's back on the road.  I may have finally found the original problem - a $60 fix after spending $1000 on other "repairs" that the original problem mimicked.

MtyMous

If you're giving them away, I'm interested. Maybe I'll have to make a trip up to Tulsa this weekend and pick one up?

Are they in the condition where they just need some paint and they're good to go? Or are we talking a little more TLC? My subframe is in good condition as far as I know... but that all could change once I get it out of the car, so I'll take you up on one of these babies.

94touring

Mplayle you're gona have to fill me in on that one.

Mtymouse- they are practically mint, just need a degreasing and a little paint.  I won't be back in town till the 15th, then fly out the 19th. 

MtyMous

No worries. If they're single bolt late model, I'll take whichever one is in better condition. If you have a rear subby for the same model, I'll take one of those off your hands, too. haha.

No worries on the time frame. I'm in town those days. Might have to make a trip up there one day during the week? Just let me know what you're thinking and we can coordinate something.

94touring

I'm starting to wonder if I should stock the shop with rear subbies.  Still not too late for me to throw them in the big panel order.  I couldn't give them away, but they'd be priced right and the bonus for you is not paying for shipping.  Yeah the 18th we clean the shop, so perfect time to grab a subframe.

MPlayle

Dan,

I'll try to give the "short story" version.

Back at Thanksgiving, the Mini suddenly starting making a banging/clattering noise like broken gears in the transmission - teeth skipping and stuttering momentum type stuff.  Trailered the car home.  Everything looked ok from the outside, so got a used replacement transmission to swap ($450 + shipping).  Installed that and tried a parking-lot test.  Got what acted like clutch slip.  Replaced the entire clutch system including flywheel except for the master ($550 + shipping).  Still had "slip".  Found one axle was drifting out of the pot-joint.  Resecured it in the pot-joint.  Back to original problem.  Found it to be the axles had been installed backwards: the pot-joint end was in the outer CV and the outer end in the pot-joint.  The outer end is also supposed to have a stop-ring to prevent the axle drifting out too far and making the pot-joint come apart/slip.  (The very thing mine was doing.)  New circ-clips and stop rings for axles (and ball joint boots) will run me about $60.

94touring

Jeez, yeah I read it on MM last night.  That sucks!

MPlayle

I take some pride in that I've fixed a LOT of age related issues and careless "patch jobs" that were done on this car, but I think I've reached my frustration point with it.  I'm determined to finish getting it as reliably operational as I can.  Then I am strongly considering selling it.  If I sell it, I may finally undertake doing a Mini Marcos and thus the interest in a front subframe.

Mudhen

Quote from: 94touring on April 03, 2013, 07:45:55 PM
I'm starting to wonder if I should stock the shop with rear subbies.  Still not too late for me to throw them in the big panel order.  I couldn't give them away, but they'd be priced right and the bonus for you is not paying for shipping.  Yeah the 18th we clean the shop, so perfect time to grab a subframe.

I think you know my opinion on that one.  Have them slide one out the back of the plane when they pass over Maine.

19.gif

MP - ouch.  The only thing I suck at worse than working on problems with my cars is diagnosing them.  That one would have had my car sitting in a corner for YEARS....impressive!  Keep on, keeping on...

94touring

I can order smaller orders from the UK, but shipping cost go up.  So if you end up needing a subby and a few other panels we can get it done reasonably still. 

And that stinks Mplayle!

MPlayle

Haven't forgotten about this.  The yellow Mini is running pretty well.  It goes on the market later this weekend (see the link in the "Minis in the wild" thread).

MtyMous

94touring

3:45 departure, which means I'll be leaving my house around 2:30.  I have some errands to run before I fly out too.  You planning on coming up?

MtyMous

Dang. I won't be able to get there. I have some really important things to take care of at work. I DEFINITELY want this subby though. And if you come across a rear, I want one of those, too. haha.

Just let me know when a better date would be to grab it from you. Just bad timing this week. I wanted to come today, but I had something major happen with one of my assets at a pretty major location. Putting out fires.

94touring

I have a couple fronts, so I'm sure one will still be available.  Both in good condition if I forgot to say that already.  I have a used rear thats in fairly good shape too, but its not free. 

MPlayle

Well, I have "Mr. Bitsa" listed on the MOT forum and on the Mini Mania classifieds.  I'm giving it until the end of May to sell.  If not sold by then, it will become the donor for a Mini Marcos project.

Either way, I will need one of the later 'single bolt' front subframes.  Can you give me an estimate on cost the send to Austin, Texas 78726?  Also, and address to send payment?

Cheers,
Michael Playle

94touring